Author Topic: [Feature] Tutorial Map  (Read 28753 times)

pvtjimmy

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: [Feature] Tutorial Map
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
I think u could also add an option to run a tutorial demo if wanted :)

Definitely not a bad idea to add some option in the demo map to show the demo before starting the tutorial map, so you actually know what is expected.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 03:05:53 PM »
A demo of someone walking through the tutorial map?

Might be good incase someone doesnt understand wtf they need to do xD

is someone going to make a translated map for german/ brazilian players?

rockitude

• Committee Member
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 03:26:11 PM »
I could translate the text in german and post it here, when the map is finished.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »
I think the map itself is just about done.  There are just a few more things I need to add in the code to support it.  Note that it won't play correctly with the current version of Paintball2, but you can at least look around.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 02:54:08 AM »
Looks good.
You wrote (in the jitspoe's plan thread) that it supports translations. How does it work?

I found a few little things that could be changed, but i'm sure Chef-Killer will post them :) So here are only two things i noticed:

sshot1072: I can jump up there (ladder -> left stone -> top).
sshot1073: I'm stuck there.

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
Map looks really nice with the hr4 textures, when you add this to the game, you should add the hr4 textures by default as well :)

You might want to add a quick room about basic double jumps.  Whenever I show this game to people, they always learn to double jump in about half the time it takes to learn to strafe properly.   Double jumps are in almost every map, and might be really helpful ^^

On a technical note, the bottom of the flag pole in the siege area can be seen through the floor.

Great work!

- Cusoman

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »
T3RR0R15T: Thanks for pointing those out - fixed.

cuso: I consider a double jump to be a more advanced jump.  I plan to have advanced tutorial maps in the future.  The flag model is too large and sticks through the ground on all maps - just isn't normally visible.  One of these days I'll make a better flag model...

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2012, 05:35:24 AM »
Looks very nice so far.

I'd avoid the double fence maybe. Btw. you can jump over the fence.

What about "minclientbuild" "36/37?" and "message" "###"?

I'd also add one paint/smoke grenade with the dialogbox and press # to throw....

Maybe you could make the dialog boxes visible as long as they aren't read, that new people don't forget anything. A colored and flashing lighting point would be great.

It's a little bit confusing that you can grab a CTF flag, run to SIEGE area and get the cap at the wrong time. Might be hard to understand and realize for new people don't knowing the different game modes. Not sure if it's still possible after the code changes.

"Nice Air!", loool :D

The lights after the first jumping room sometimes block me, you might want to add clip brushes there.

Maybe add one more dialog box in front of the closed door, if someone missed the dialog box at the button.

There's also a black face at the door if it's opened.

Red: I'd rotate these faces.
Blue: I'd move this face a little bit.

Red: Why did you add those holes?

Red: I guess you did that consciously. In my opinion closing this hole would look better.

I hope we can test the map with all functions soon. Great job.

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
It's a little bit confusing that you can grab a CTF flag, run to SIEGE area and get the cap at the wrong time. Might be hard to understand and realize for new people don't knowing the different game modes. Not sure if it's still possible after the code changes.

There is a bug that you can change the gamemode mid in the game (that jitspoe already fixed in the b36 code), but maybe it is possible to use it here somehow.

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2012, 04:48:09 AM »
Maybe you could make the dialog boxes visible as long as they aren't read, that new people don't forget anything. A colored and flashing lighting point would be great.
This works great with something like the flare texture/srcipt you already used in spaceballs (I'd prefer yellow or orange). Func_wall entities can be toggled off by the trigger_once entities. It might be possible that only the point of the next dialog box is visible, too. I'm not sure what's better. Here's an example with all...

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 05:56:54 AM by Chef-Killer »

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 06:26:57 AM »
What about the pgp model? Should it be there with the information that it is the default weapon?

Chef-Killer

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
Noticed one more thing: Is there no DM/TDM area?

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:51 PM »
dm and tdm are rarely played IN DP and widely known in fps. im sure people who are going to play this arent unfamiliar with what a dm and tdm are. this game isnt usually played int hose styles anyway.m
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:42:14 AM by Foxhound »

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2012, 09:29:19 PM »
dm and tdm are rarely played and widely known in fps. I'm sure people who are going to play this aren't unfamiliar with what a dm and tdm are. this game isn't usually played int hose styles anyway.m

When making a tutorial map, I think it's a good idea to assume that the people using it have an IQ of 0.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 11:40:47 AM »
False^

Did you know how to strafe jump, double jump or any of that when you first picked up paintball? or quake? Maybe your IQ should have been assumed to be 0 then according to your standards.

If it's an FPS, people know what death match and team death match are. And what would you put into the tutorial? it would be a quick synopsis like, DM - everyone for themselves. and TDM - you have a team..... LOL

The point of this was more or less to teach about things that newbies didn't understand like how to air their tank, when they should air their tank, how to gain speed and strafe jump, double jump, how to change team, how to use console, how to use chat/team chat. Things like that are the most important.

silly narga.

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
False^

Did you know how to strafe jump, double jump or any of that when you first picked up paintball? or quake? Maybe your IQ should have been assumed to be 0 then according to your standards.

If it's an FPS, people know what death match and team death match are. And what would you put into the tutorial? it would be a quick synopsis like, DM - everyone for themselves. and TDM - you have a team..... LOL

The point of this was more or less to teach about things that newbies didn't understand like how to air their tank, when they should air their tank, how to gain speed and strafe jump, double jump, how to change team, how to use console, how to use chat/team chat. Things like that are the most important.

silly narga.

You can't just assume that everyone has played an FPS before.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
You assume that if a person downloads a shooting type game, they wont know that shooting someone else is the object of the game? (DM-TDM)

Can you realistically think about what you're stating/defending please and how it's a waste of time. You can admit you're wrong, or just not post back.

All it comes down to is time. Jitspoe has enough time to do this map for us, why have him spend more time putting in that  the object is to shoot people. You're right, if you didn't know this, you have an IQ of 0. Also, if you have an IQ of 0, you wont be able to download the game in the first place.

NONE of the dp servers provide a game mode TDM,KOTH. There was viciouz'z dm server which I don't think is up anymore. Sure, it's in the game, but it's not used. It's a waste of time to include in the tutorial map, stating and showing what DM and TDM are and how they are to be played.

cmon seriously?

Narga

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
It's not as simple as shooting people. For example, in CTF, you have to get the enemies' flag and bring it to your base. A person who has never played an FPS wouldn't know all the rules including the rules for DM and TDM.

When I learned programming I was taught that you have to assume that people using your program have an IQ of 0. Not only was this to make your program easier to use, it also prevents people from accidentally braking the program or their computer.

I know the latter may not be relevent when making a map, but the former is.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »
Is Chef really critiquing jitspoes map

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2012, 09:39:03 PM »
Use simple vocabulary, a lot of players cant speak great english.