Author Topic: Rally Remake Beta 5  (Read 6345 times)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Rally Remake Beta 5
« on: May 09, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
Decided to remake rally, its been on servers for a month now, just deciding to make official release today.

http://clipz.viciouz.co.uk/maps/rallyr_b1.bsp

There are a few lighting issues, QuArK .wal files differ from dp2's. Jitspoe had me do something with bsp before to fix it but I forget. I will fix them if I can be told how to do it again.
Enjoy 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 06:04:40 PM by Clipz »

NJIN

• VM-68
Re: Rally Remake Beta 1
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
looks great

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:08:51 AM »
I like the start of this remake, because the original rally is a really cool map (with lots of bugs) imo.

The sun angle doesn't really fit the sun/sky.

The group key is kind of useless if you add a type value, too :) Only the barrels would all be the same each round.
(Same with team, teamnumber is the correct one)

You should delete "gamemode" "4" from your info_player_deathmatch entities to avoid problems with other gamemodes, e.g. elim.

Some pics...

Red: This is one general thing. Move down the texture to the ground in the whole map. Would look a lot more realistic and more clean.

Red: Argh...fix these lighting issues. They're destroying the whole look of the map.

Red: Same here. Btw. the right one doesn't seem to be a lighting issue, because paintballs disappear on this wall.

Red: Move this texture, the same on the other side.
Green: Add clip brushes here, the same on the other side.

Red: I'd rotate this texture.
Green: Add more clip brushes here.

Red: Rotate this texture.

Red: Rotate this texture.

Red: There's a hole.
Green: Wrong texture here? The metal texture looks out of place. I would use the stonewal texture there, too (like you did on the right side).

This looks different...

...than this one. Also it looks like the right wall is a little bit too small. It below the bridge a little bit, on the left side it isn't.

Red: One more hole.

Red: Rotate the textures.

Red: I'd rotate this texture, too.
Green: Add some more clip brushes here.

All in all a good beta with potential to be a nice and funny map. If you are not interested to put more effort in this beta, I'd be interested to improve it. Can't be possible that so many beta maps with potential never get finished.

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta!

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:51:54 PM »
The lighting issue is from quark, jitspoe once told me a way to fix it in bsp but I forget how to do it. I'm not to worried about which way the wood is going it could go either way on the planks. The wholes ill fix as well might add the clip brushes if I feel like it. The sunlight I like so im not changing that.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 11:29:25 AM »
Overall layout changes are good.  There are a lot of little tweaks that can be done to improve it.  I've attached a demo.

With a name like Clipz, you should be a master at adding clip brushes. ;)

The lighting issues are probably due to needing the proper colormap.pcx.  You should just be able to use the one from paintball2/pball/pics/colormap.pcx.  I'm not sure how the directotries in quark are set up, but if there's a "*whatever*/textures/pball" directory, you should put it in "*whatever*/pics/colormap.pcx"

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »
Jitspoe I think the issue is quark uses quake2 and quake 2's textures I use dp 1.51 from way back for the textures could that be why also?

The sun angle doesn't really fit the sun/sky.

I've always used the same angle for the sun on everymap idk which ones to use, or how to determine which angles for the sun.

Ill get around to fixing this soon, possibly fixing nonturno, and releasing cub1 (done) and cub2. (10% done)

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
Here're some default settings for the sun angle. You can play around with them a little bit to find the best setting for your map.

http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=714.msg221412#msg221412

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »
I might have mentioned it in the tutorial, but you can put your crosshair on the sun, then type "angles" in the console, and it will tell you what angles to use for the sun.

As for the colors, dp has always used the same palette, so using the 1.51 textures won't get you the way off color results you have now.  The issue is most likely the colormap.pcx.  You should probably copy these files out of the bsp package on the files page.  A lot of the tools look for a "quake2" directory, which is why a bunch of stuff is under the quake2 directory in the bsp pack.  You could just extract BSP and point to that directory instead of your old Quake2 directory.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 05:26:07 PM »
I've finally re-opened this one to hopefully finish it completely in a few days.

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 04:55:20 AM »
Nice ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 10:57:48 PM »
I've finally re-opened this one to hopefully finish it completely in a few days.

Ever get everything set up so you can light correctly?

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 11:43:52 PM »
Ooh... I'd love to see a better version of this map :D

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »

Maybe one day i can fix it up lol

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:19:06 AM »

I dont.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
If you played in the glory days of dp you would enjoy it. But times have changed.

Lazers what would you say would make this map better?

Spook

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
You know how kids are these days, just make Rally on Ice, and you'll have a speed server hit.

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 04:01:23 PM »
You know how kids are these days, just make Rally on Ice, and you'll have a speed server hit.

Nah, I would prefer Rally under Water..

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »
If you played in the glory days of dp you would enjoy it. But times have changed.

Lazers what would you say would make this map better?
All I can think of right now is to not have to reload your gun at the start of the round. (so the co2 tank doesn't reset every 15 bullets)

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
Re: Rally Remake Beta 3
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 08:44:55 PM »
Granted, it's been almost a decade since I touched this map. Dr Nilex, finally convinced me recently to do it.

I skipped a beta 2 release because I started a beta 2 way back in the day, added another path and a 2nd flag. (I don't think a 2nd flag would fit this map.)

What changed?

- All textures have been aligned. In the process I somehow made the wall textures scale 1 x 1.41. Before you write it off... It looks great, probably the best mistake I've made while mapping.

- Wood was rotated where it needed to be.

- Mid is a little bit larger, the speed jump from ledge to ledge is more difficult. I didn't intend for this, but I think it's better this way and will result in less flag captures.

- I added a banner to indicate team colors

- I changed it so you spawn with equipment now, no more loading co2 and finding guns and only having brass barrels. This map has 6 spawns per side: Containing 1 Automag, 1 Autococker, 1 Spyder, 1 Carbine and 2 VM's (Because they are op)

- Redesign of the "X" in the base

- Changed the floor textures in the tunnels and inside the bases to not make the map the same few textures.

- Added Clipz Brushes around the ladders/metal trim so people won't stop while jumping.

I'm hoping this can be the final beta and finally put this one behind me.

Thanks and I hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:48:17 PM by Clipz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2022, 02:55:47 AM »
Nice!  Looking a lot better!  Some suggestions for improving lighting:
- Make sure you use the -extra command to antialias the shadows and make them look less blocky.
- Use _sun_surface instead of _sun_ambient.  This will require adjusting the lighting quite a bit, but looks more natural and less flat.

I noticed some of the ladders (in particular, the one on the left exiting the red base) seem inconsistent, like you can climb then fall down.  Here's a guide on how to fix a lot of common issues with ladders: https://forums.digitalpaint.org/index.php?topic=5439

Finally, minor thing, but the edge of the ceiling is flush with the sky in the middle, making it look paper thin (visible in your 3rd screenshot).  Would look better to push the sky up a bit and give it some thickness.

Look forward to giving this a play!  I've uploaded it to the Social Saturday server.