Author Topic: New Map: Ancient_Sanctum  (Read 5214 times)

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
New Map: Ancient_Sanctum
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:53:20 PM »
Hello fellow DPers. Another new map from me currently from the Inner_Sanctum clan. Producing maps under the name for the past year!

This map is CTF.
It has 2 flags, both cannot be seen at the same time.
Players will spawn with Spyder, Chrome Barrel, 20oz cO2, 200 hopper, 200 ammo.
There are 5 guns throughout the map 1 autococker mid, 1 carbine in each cave, and 1 autococker in each base.
Ammo is put throughout the map, but is limited so players won't be able to spray as much as they would like to.
There are 2 barrel upgrades. 1 at high mid and 1 at high cliff.
This map as you can tell, was based more for game play and no pr0shack terrain as my previous works. I will try to be testing game play as soon as possible.
Please take a look at my map give me back feedback and i hope you enjoy it, Cheers!

EDIT--- Ohh and i didn't know which thread to post it on.. With the new sub directories to the main mapping one.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:45:02 AM by RoBiNandL!nk »

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
Re: New Map: Ancient_Sanctum
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 05:03:58 PM »
BETA 2****************************************************************

Fixed-- Things Chefkiller posted besides light.
Fixed-- Added visability blockers.
Fixed-- Delete house flag 1 was on top of, I didn't see a purpose for it.
Fixed-- Found some clip brushes sticking out.
Fixed-- Detailed A LOT of stuff, Also undetailed a couple things i could see blocking visability
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:23:07 PM by RoBiNandL!nk »

Chef-Killer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 06:12:02 AM »
Looks very nice :)

Some screenshots...

Red: Add a clip brush somewhere here.

Red: Add two more clip brushes here.

Red: I'd prefer a wall like this to avoid the height change in the corner that doesn't look nice.

Red: All barrels are way too fat. That doesn't look realistic and the top textures are misaligned because of the wrong texture size.

Red: Add one more clip brush below the ladder that people can't jump under it.

Red: The right side (and left down) looks very strange, because the rest of the maps is mapped like the green area.

Red: Move this wood texture a little bit that the dark line of the plank disappears.
Green: This box is misaligned.

Red: Maybe rotating this face like you did on the left side would look more clean, because it's the same structure with a different texture alignment at the moment.

Red: This face is misaligned at the red base.

Red: This faces on the red side of the map are slightly misaligned, too.

Red: The lighting looks very strange here. It would be cool if you can fix the lighting here a little bit to avoid this broken shadows.

Great job so far 8)

Map is online @ [OTB] Beta!

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »
I don't know how i could fix the lighting there. (last picture)

EDIT-- When i try to finalcompile.bat(high quality) isntead of finalcompile.bat I get the maxpatches error, I only have 670 portalclusters and 1887 numportals. and the also the R_speeds arent even that bad..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:27:27 PM by RoBiNandL!nk »

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »
BETA 2 OUT NOW **************************************************

Rockyar_96

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »
i think the max_patches error only refers to the texture surface of the whole map. You could give all non-visible faces a texture size of 100 or more. But you could also creat ur own .bat . Using this u could set chop to 32 or sth like that.

Attached a .txt with chop = 32, .bat is not allowed here :/

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 02:43:33 AM »
If you haven't already, detail brushes will help you out with the Max_Patches :P

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 04:54:41 AM »
I've detailed everything i could, even up'd the brushes to 100 in some cases. I don't know why its happening, the map is so small.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 05:08:55 AM »
You didn't take a quick way around a leak did ya? :p

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 05:57:57 AM »
of course not, i've never done that ever.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
Looks pretty good.  My biggest complaint is about new player accessibility.  I've attached a demo with more details.  I'm putting the map up on the beta server as well.  Let me know if you need the login.

Edit: Oh, and it's weird that the map filename is sanctum_ancient, but the message for the map name is Ancient_Sanctum.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
Just played it a bit on the beta server, and it's kind of confusing the way some of the paths work.  Like, there's red barrels right next to the 2nd path to the blue base.  You almost come out behind the enemy area when you go out that path.  Kind of counter-intuitive.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
Just played it a bit on the beta server, and it's kind of confusing the way some of the paths work.  Like, there's red barrels right next to the 2nd path to the blue base.  You almost come out behind the enemy area when you go out that path.  Kind of counter-intuitive.

I am not sure what you mean by this. Could you give me an example via screenshot or demo?.

I will also add what you suggested in most cases.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
Look at your second screenshot.  See those two blue barrels?  Those are right next to the RED back entrance.  The map is layed out such that you look across the way toward what you think is the enemy base, and the enemy can exit through their back path and end up right behind you.  It's just not very straightforward/intuitive.  I think a lot of players will be confused by this.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »
Ahh I see what you mean, I will look to make the map more newbie friendly over all and add more base indicators to help with the confusion, I will also try to move those barrels into a better place, or make them into boxes.

deadfroggy

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 12:37:40 AM »
1st photo: If your going to be more newbie friendly i think you should add small crates here...

2nd photo: You missed ;)

3rd photo: slightly missaligned

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 08:35:11 AM »
Sorry for delay just got back from a visit, will start working on it again.

RoBiNandL!nk

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
i think the max_patches error only refers to the texture surface of the whole map. You could give all non-visible faces a texture size of 100 or more. But you could also creat ur own .bat . Using this u could set chop to 32 or sth like that.

Attached a .txt with chop = 32, .bat is not allowed here :/

My compiler already uses chop = 32

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 12:47:07 AM »
Would be nice to see this map iterated on a bit.  It's OK, but the flow could use some work.  Also the 2nd flag is kind of ducked away and hard to find.  The ladders are super flakey and difficult to climb consistently.