Author Topic: Contest Entry: R&R (randr.bsp) w/ DT  (Read 3800 times)

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Contest Entry: R&R (randr.bsp) w/ DT
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
o/

So, this map was put together in the last 48 hours, so if you have complaints about the quality, plz cut urself. (clarification: feedback is appreciated)

I couldn't be bothered to finish a map, DT couldn't be bothered to start one, so this happened.

Ingredients:
- BSP
- all standard pball textures
- 3 slices serrano ham
- 4 sticks nag champa
- 300mg anhydrous caffeine
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj9jqU2YIgk
- the vacuum packed soul of loial21

2 team CTF, spartan item placement.

Screens & download attached.

ENOUGH. WAKE ME IN A THOUSAND YEARS
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 08:34:29 AM by ViciouZ »

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Contest Entry: R&R (randr.bsp) w/ DT
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 05:14:34 AM »
viciouz is a 10/10, would bang

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:48:57 PM »
Updated version that addresses all issues reported with map that didn't require effort or texture alignment:
- Pyramid now accessible

You can't stand on top of it because I'm too lazy to move the skybox.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
Gameplay:

The map doesn't seem to have very much flow to it.  For example, when you're trying to get to the ramp box, it feels like it's a 90 degree turn to the left if you're trying to follow the flow of the path -- you have to swing out really wide to hit it.  The beginning of that path is kind of hidden in the cluster of boxes, sand piles, and walls.  It's also not very accessible to new players, meaning there's effectively only 1 path to the flag for people that can't hit that ramp... not very good.  Even with those 2 paths, it seems 1 player could easily defend both attack paths.  I think there should at least be a ladder or something to get on top of the building from the other direction.  You can get stuck between the sand pile and wall in the middle.

Update:  Just realized there's an invisible clip brush or sky brush that lets you ramp up to the building from the side.  This isn't very obvious or intuitive (or accessible for new players).  It also means the back box-ramp path is super slow by comparison.  I think that path needs to be optimized a lot.

Visuals:

Obvious misaligned crate textures, block torches, etc., that I'm sure you're aware of.  I'm not a fan of the "wood terrain".  It just looks weird.  You might be able to pull it off if you broke the wood up into sections and made it look like flat boards at different angles or something.  Maybe just have some boards in the sand?  I think large sections of uninterrupted wood texture look bad... trees don't grow 60 feet wide, so how could that even exist? :P  Being able to see through the sky just looks bad.

The building looks like some kind of airplane hangar.  I'd find some reference shots and try to make it look believable.  I think the textures should probably be rotated 90 degrees, the walls should be much thinner, and there should be some support beams and whatnot.  Maybe add some tarmac outside.

The filename and map message appear to have nothing to do with each other or the visual theme of the map...

Dirty_Taco

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
>DT caring about new players
>2013

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:24:33 AM »
As the map is now, high is much faster then the mid path (or at least comaprable and given the higher altitude its just better to go high). Given this adjustment you would make nice speed path so it would be mandatory to defend mid and if you rush you would be able to grab before someone even gets to high lining spot.

Meeh, was this supposed to be like that? It kinda ruins mid

Also as jitspoe suggested ladder to flag ramp would be nice.

And pls fix the "stuck spot".

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 02:31:10 AM »
the vacuum packed soul of loial21
I WIN!

Thunder peals and a flash of blinding light. A smell permeates through the ages. Clint (DT) go wash your ass bro, please.