Author Topic: Real Life Paintball by Twilight Sparkle  (Read 16283 times)

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
Real Life Paintball by Twilight Sparkle
« on: May 22, 2013, 02:07:07 PM »
This is kinda like a shock type map but a little bit different. It's based off a real life paintball indoor arena.

Haven't got the chance to play with real people, with bots its pretty fun but I still can't figure out how to get my server to show up in the list. *shrug*

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Real Life Paintball by Twilight Sparkle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
I tried making a similar map that was to-scale, based off of a real NPPL field: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=11875.0

People didn't really care for it in practice.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:39:43 PM »
I tried making a similar map that was to-scale, based off of a real NPPL field: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=11875.0

People didn't really care for it in practice.
This is actually not to scale at all...the spacing between obstacles is larger, and the obstacles are roughly twice as large. Here is the original:

The problem is that you can trick jump in Paintball 2 and you run much faster than a real human being, and I also believe your paintballs move about 2x as fast as a real paintball. So to counter this there are obstacles to slow down your trick jumping and and the paintball speed is set to their minimum. Also on the high overlook ledges, it is tilted so its harder to trickjump. And I believe there is a server setting to limit speed as well ;)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 02:47:18 AM »
It is very cool! I like it! (Y)

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:53:37 AM »
It is very cool! I like it! (Y)
Thanks! =3

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »
The big brush-constructed guy in your map looks too much like Spongebob.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
The big brush-constructed guy in your map looks too much like Spongebob.
It is Spongebob.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:56:17 PM »
I've uploaded it to the beta server.

A few suggestions:

- You may want to make the players spawn with some equipment, and have just a few upgrades scattered around to pick up.
- I would make the whole area between the legs the capture point.
- There's nothing really indicating which side is which.  The bunkers are red and yellow everywhere.
- I would use a different texture for the ceiling.  Doing something like what's in the tutorial map is probably closest to that picture you posted.
- If you're going to have flag platforms, they should be a little more obvious, not just a patch of different grass texture.  A tip in that regard - it's actually better to use multiple brushes and embed the brush in the ground than to have a 1-unit tall brush that sits on the ground.  You're adding extra polygons on the side, since the map gets chopped up, anyway (type gl_showtris 1 and look at your flag stand to see what I mean).

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 09:19:36 AM »
I've uploaded it to the beta server.

A few suggestions:

- You may want to make the players spawn with some equipment, and have just a few upgrades scattered around to pick up.
Hmm, I actually like the PGP spawns it adds a bit of flavor to the game, on some maps it's just annoying but on this map there's a lot of tight spaces and I think it actually works. When you get a PGP eliminations its like "Oh yeah, I just got him with a PGP, I rock woohoo!" This is probably one of the easier maps to get PGP elims on. I also like having the low gas tanks, barrels, and ammo, it prevents spraying across the map and forces you to take your shots carefully so the game play feels a bit more refined. You do spawn with a 20oz co2 tank so you have an option to either reload which takes time or just go with it.
- I would make the whole area between the legs the capture point.
I'll do it.
- There's nothing really indicating which side is which.  The bunkers are red and yellow everywhere.
I'll make the flag points colored. But I think having easy labels for bases on a map like this would affect the art style and make it bland. Plus its fun to get confused every now and then and realize you have been going the wrong direction, its not a big map anyway.
- I would use a different texture for the ceiling.  Doing something like what's in the tutorial map is probably closest to that picture you posted.
If I do use a different texture, it would be maybe a wood texture, not that. That one looks like dirt.
- If you're going to have flag platforms, they should be a little more obvious, not just a patch of different grass texture.  A tip in that regard - it's actually better to use multiple brushes and embed the brush in the ground than to have a 1-unit tall brush that sits on the ground.  You're adding extra polygons on the side, since the map gets chopped up, anyway (type gl_showtris 1 and look at your flag stand to see what I mean).
Okay I will use the clipping tool. How did you find out that anyway? Is there a debug mode that lets you see wireframe mode?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
I could tell it was 1 unit tall just by looking at it.  To see the wireframe, type "gl_showtris 1" at the console.

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:43 PM »
I could tell it was 1 unit tall just by looking at it.  To see the wireframe, type "gl_showtris 1" at the console.
thanks

-MrVarron-

• PGP
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »
how you show screenshots?

twilightsparkl

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 12:31:11 PM »
there in the screenshot folder

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 05:42:43 PM »
press f12 to take a screenshot, then go to pball/scrnsht and it should be in that folder

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 03:40:13 AM »
I think the map is playable enough as is to move it out of beta.  Just putting a comment here in case twilightsparkl comes back and wants to make some more changes.