Author Topic: Newmap: #sPec# Sabotage - Final  (Read 16440 times)

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Newmap: #sPec# Sabotage - Final
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:28:01 AM »
My newest map: sabotage is here! I have been practicing on making terrain and then made this. DirtyTaco has really inspired me.

Download: https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=EE84F89567C2D006!205&authkey=!ABywdJ3UwK56qxk

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:15:17 AM by JordanMRichards »

Mission

• 68 Carbine
Re: Newmap: #sPec# Sabotage
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
Looks cool, can't wait to test gameplay. I like your new style of barrier windows and your terrain skills have improved too. Gotta test this soon.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
Some things:

The way the paths are balanced seems like it would quite possibly turn into flag swapping for a while, as one path is easier to navigate in each direction.

That said, neither of the paths are particularly 'fast', in that most of the time you have to stop and spend a couple of seconds jumping to get anywhere. Probably not very noob friendly.

In some places there are really small grass surfaces that aren't useful for standing, or grass at a near sheer angle where it looks out of place - maybe not IRL, but in games grass tends to be usually a big hint that you can stand on an area without sliding down it.

Middle of the map (the raised sections of the paths) is kinda bland and empty.

It just generally looks very derivative of carp, to be honest. Not necessarily a bad thing, but when you can clearly map competently it seems a waste to come up with something so close to an existing popular map.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 05:35:56 PM »
I've uploaded it to the beta server.

Some quick first impressions:

- I really feel like I should be able to jump/climb on the barrel things, since they have sort of a rung in the middle.
- The map feels super awkward to navigate.  Jumping puzzles everywhere, and many of the grass surfaces are too steep to stand on, but they're mixed in with all the other jump-able surfaces, so it's difficult to tell what you can and can't jump on.
- Not sure I like the phong shading on the rocks.
- Chokepoints are way too small around the base - only one little sliver of space you can get by around the bunker.  I'd honestly get rid of the bunker in front of the base entrance and just have a clean shot into the base.
- Very difficult to navigate for new players -- getting to the 2nd flag, in particular.  I feel every map objective should have at least one straightforward path that requires no jumping.  You should be able to easily navigate the map backward.
- Red sometimes spawns in the blue base.  Not sure if the opposite is true, but this really needs to be fixed.

nook!e

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »
This map looks like the map that myers did but with different stuff, i like the style of it.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:47:18 AM »
I've uploaded it to the beta server.

Some quick first impressions:

- I really feel like I should be able to jump/climb on the barrel things, since they have sort of a rung in the middle.
- The map feels super awkward to navigate.  Jumping puzzles everywhere, and many of the grass surfaces are too steep to stand on, but they're mixed in with all the other jump-able surfaces, so it's difficult to tell what you can and can't jump on.
- Not sure I like the phong shading on the rocks.
- Chokepoints are way too small around the base - only one little sliver of space you can get by around the bunker.  I'd honestly get rid of the bunker in front of the base entrance and just have a clean shot into the base.
- Very difficult to navigate for new players -- getting to the 2nd flag, in particular.  I feel every map objective should have at least one straightforward path that requires no jumping.  You should be able to easily navigate the map backward.
- Red sometimes spawns in the blue base.  Not sure if the opposite is true, but this really needs to be fixed.

-The barrels wouldn't really work as barrels if you could jump on top of them.
-Hmm, maybe arrows will help with this. The map was directly aimed at for public servers and matching, not so much for newer players. Once you learn the map, it can be very fun. I think jumping puzzles make it ever so much more exciting. It's fun to work out what jumps are available.
-Ok, I can change this
-Okay, I'll improve this in the next beta :)
-The map wasn't really directed towards newer players, however once you get to know the map, it's pretty simple, the jumps to get to the main routes are VERY basic (only need to press space at the right time) But I think I may add more newbie friendly paths.
-YES THANK YOU SO MUCH. I need to change that! lol! Thanks for noticing!

Good feedback overall! :) Thanks jitspoe.

Some things:

The way the paths are balanced seems like it would quite possibly turn into flag swapping for a while, as one path is easier to navigate in each direction.

That said, neither of the paths are particularly 'fast', in that most of the time you have to stop and spend a couple of seconds jumping to get anywhere. Probably not very noob friendly.

In some places there are really small grass surfaces that aren't useful for standing, or grass at a near sheer angle where it looks out of place - maybe not IRL, but in games grass tends to be usually a big hint that you can stand on an area without sliding down it.

Middle of the map (the raised sections of the paths) is kinda bland and empty.

It just generally looks very derivative of carp, to be honest. Not necessarily a bad thing, but when you can clearly map competently it seems a waste to come up with something so close to an existing popular map.

-I will do tests with this, I can maybe make both paths a little more balanced and maybe add more to the next beta
-Yeah, this map isn't very directed at newbs. I am new to map making compared to mappers that have been mapping for years, so I am not very good at coming up with newb routes. However, I need to get better at it, so why not try and do this in the next beta? :D
-Yeah, but a lot of them are or the ones that aren't have a ledge at the top of them that you can stand on. Grass like this makes it seem like you aren't stuck in a big rock/box as you can see more dimension. If the grass was on such an angle that you couldn't see it from lower down, then it would loose this dimension. Think of it as steep grass slopes it real life, I've seen plenty, that you can't run up.
-Yes, I completely agree, I was wondering if I included too many grass ledges, see how empty that part feels when I don't include these? I have future plans for that upper route, so I didn't know what to do there yet exactly. Beta 2 will hopefully solve the emptiness.
-Well, not really, the layout is completely different. But appearance wise, the textures are the same, DT had it right, his texture combinations and terrain methods are just perfect for making a map look more realistic. DT really inspired me whilst creating this map. Again, I am still new to mapmaking, someone like DT has been mapping for years, I should learn from the best, no?

Thanks for your feedback Viciouz.

This map looks like the map that myers did but with different stuff, i like the style of it.

haha, thanks nookie:)

Download Beta 1 spawn FIXED:  Please replace sabotage_b1 on your server with this: http://sdrv.ms/12XvTOt It's called sabotage_b1_fixed, but delete the old b1 then replace it with this :) which can then be renamed to 'sabotage_b1'
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:08:57 AM by JordanMRichards »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:08:06 AM »
Shouldn't you just call it sabotage_b2? o.O

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:16:33 AM »
Shouldn't you just call it sabotage_b2? o.O

Well it's a minor fix and being as OTB and your beta server are the only ones with it downloaded to a server, I thought it wasn't enough to make it a new beta.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Newmap: #sPec# Sabotage - B2 IS HERE
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:32:07 PM »
BETA 2 RELEASE!:D

Download Beta 2 : http://sdrv.ms/12Y5OPl

jE

• Stingray
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:34:30 PM »
great map for hide and seek :D

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
great map for hide and seek :D
Thanks, I guess xD

Aveiro

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »
Map about nothing. Its too big and only 2 ways there. This map need some mid high and mid low.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 05:44:55 AM »
Map about nothing. Its too big and only 2 ways there. This map need some mid high and mid low.

There are actually 3 ways. & You can switch between them

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 09:45:43 PM »
Uploaded to the beta server and attached a demo to better point out some of the navigation issues.

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »
BETA 3 Released!

Main focus of beta 3 was the flow & speeds.

Download: http://sdrv.ms/11ZL8jJ

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker

cap0ne

• VM-68
Re: Newmap: #sPec# Sabotage - Final
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 03:12:33 AM »
Is this our clan map? Because i suck at these :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 10:52:25 PM »
Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, but I don't think this map is ready for a final release.

Playtested it tonight and noticed some issues:
- Some misaligned textures (on crates and horizontal boards in the tunnels).
- Ladder pole things are inconsistent - sometimes you can climb them, sometimes you can't.
- Overall flow is a little better, but it still needs a lot of work.  Feels very awkward to navigate at times.  That awkward jump into the main base entrance is still there.
- R_speeds are high in some areas.  Some people were getting low framerates.
- Path from low to high flag still lacks visibility, is awkward to navigate, and is pretty much impossible to avoid lines if somebody is shooting at the area where you exit.  Needs some work and either a branch or a wider opening so you can avoid lines.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 02:22:07 AM »
Moving this to completed maps, since it's unlikely to receive any updates.  Would be nice to see some quality of life tweaks to streamline it a bit as well as reduce the r_speeds.  Maybe the map committee could have a go at it if there's enough interest.