Author Topic: Strafe Jumping through the Galaxy!  (Read 16588 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Strafe Jumping through the Galaxy!
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:29 AM »
So I needed to make a high res night sky, and I figured, rather than just randomly sprinkling stars on a texture, I should actually do it right.  After searching around for a bit, I came across this site:

http://astronexus.com/node/34

The HYG database contained like 150,000+ stars, with their Cartesian coordinates, magnitude, color index, etc.  Everything I needed to make an accurate starry sky.

So... I rendered them as particles inside of Paintball2:

If you cross your eyes, you can see the big dipper in 3D!

I'll try to put together a video later, since it's pretty cool to actually walk (or strafe jump) around the stars.

For the purposes of rendering a skybox, though, it was more practical to map all the stars to a sphere, and scale them based off of the magnitude value as seen from earth.

Here are a couple screenshots of what I think are about as accurate as I can get for the skybox:

A view of the north star (with the big and little dipper... about the only constellations I can identify, lol).

Orion, toward the upper left.

What it looks like when you go outside the sphere.

All rendered in Paintball2 in a horribly inefficient manner. ;)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Strafe Jumping through the Galaxy!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:59:43 AM »
That's seriously cool...

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 03:18:31 AM »
Add more constellations, like the great bear, virgo, sextent, scorpio, libra bla bla bla... BTW nice stars

EDIT: Put some nebulas xD

LaZeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:06:43 AM »
Wish I could do that in real life...
That's crazy awesome.

BASEBALLDUDE

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:46:36 AM »
So awesome!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:15:29 AM »
Add more constellations, like the great bear, virgo, sextent, scorpio, libra bla bla bla... BTW nice stars

EDIT: Put some nebulas xD
All the commonly known constellations should be there.

Nebulas would be awesome, but I'm not sure how I'd go about adding them.  Anybody know of a nebula database that would make it possible to import them into 3D space?  Which nebulas are visible to the naked eye?  Any others besides orion?

Edit: It seems like nebulas are only really cool when you zoom way in with a telescope.  The Orion nebula would just look like a little smudge around one of the stars: http://www.gregorystrike.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/M42-OrionNebula.png
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:39:25 AM by jitspoe »

JMR

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 11:16:12 AM »
Nice! :)

Inspiring to make a space themed map... :o

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 01:23:38 AM »
All the commonly known constellations should be there.

Nebulas would be awesome, but I'm not sure how I'd go about adding them.  Anybody know of a nebula database that would make it possible to import them into 3D space?  Which nebulas are visible to the naked eye?  Any others besides orion?

Edit: It seems like nebulas are only really cool when you zoom way in with a telescope.  The Orion nebula would just look like a little smudge around one of the stars: http://www.gregorystrike.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/M42-OrionNebula.png
That gave me an idea jitspoe!
How about using your "fov" as a telescope to see some constellations and nebulas! ForFun!

EDIT: this link will show some visible nebulas http://www.evetravel.wordpress.com/visible-nebulae-in-new-eden/

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 01:35:35 AM »
That gave me an idea jitspoe!
How about using your "fov" as a telescope to see some constellations and nebulas! ForFun!

EDIT: this link will show some visible nebulas http://www.evetravel.wordpress.com/visible-nebulae-in-new-eden/
Those are from EVE Online (a video game), not nebulas visible from earth.

FOV thing could be a fun easter egg, but probably not worth the effort,  Also, when you zoomed in, the stars would be all big and blurry...

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 09:21:50 PM »
oh. Can't we make an HD stars? Maybe we could apply them as deafult in build 41

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »
What he has done looks good, it would be a waste of time to make It so they look good when you zoom in. There are 100 things that he could do besides that.

UnRateD

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »
how the intercourse does one do this

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »

Does this seem plausible enough?  I put the moon in the same location as it was in the old sky, but I'm not certain if it would ever be positioned like this.  When I photographed it, it was much further to the right of where it is here.  I'm not sure if it would be to the left of Orion like that.  Any astrology experts here that can help me out? :)

I'd like to keep Polaris north and have the moon where it is in the current sky (mostly south).

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »
Considering using a full moon (nov 18 here), and this is the south sky that I'm looking at, it'd be running along the top right hand part of that image, so yeah, to the right of Orion, not the left.  Kind of a bit further right to the bright star to the NEish of Betelgeuse.  No expert on this though haha.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
Since my brother in law is pretty into astrology, I decided to make this into a standalone program for him as a Christmas present.

It's not perfect, but I figured I'd share it here as well.

http://jitspoe.com/files/starviewer/starviewer_b1.zip

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas!

not_payl_obviously

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2013, 05:29:38 PM »
Wow, Starviewer is kinda cool, and I think it is greatly done! I love freeflight mode. Really good job, it works great on ease-of-use side too (Pb2 engine seems to be very flexible).
Now it becomes obvious why recently you were experimenting with "sky" and paintball :) .

Union

• PGP
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »
L()()K

It would be cool if there was a server where all you do is goof off in COOL maps like this one.
Or if there was an player vs bot server. :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
This isn't a map...

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 04:42:35 PM »
This isn't a map...
M I the only one that facepalmed? I think once he reads this, his Mind=blown *ToXiiC waits for signs of mental breakdown; denial; then acceptance.

FusSioN

• Autococker
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 04:23:35 AM »
M I the only one that facepalmed? I think once he reads this, his Mind=blown *ToXiiC waits for signs of mental breakdown; denial; then acceptance.
I also facepalmed.

ps Starviewer is so cool! At first I thought that it would be just a stargazing software, but it turned out to be an awesome software! Your cousin would be pleased :P . DP2 controls in the setup seems funny for me tho.