Author Topic: new map: credere | final  (Read 12121 times)

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: new map: credere | final version
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 03:03:17 PM »
You're right, its not ready for final. Uploaded as credere_b5.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »
You all must know that im a very lazy person and actually i hate mapping xD
i can upload the mapfile later if you want (im on a cellphone atm)

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »
Don't bother releasing it if you aren't going to at least fix up very simple things. Can enter the contest with a beta.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 05:31:45 PM »
Yes, maps are released as normal and the newest maps are judged this is because it takes so long to get a map out of beta for a lot of people

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
Give us the map file so maybe the community could fix up the map if we want.
This isnt really worth fixing no offense. Its a good start keep it up.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 01:33:52 AM »
Just tried it. Texture choices made it reminiscent of a very compressed disaster.bsp. Keep working on it :)

By the way, credere is "to believe". You may have been looking for an imperative form, crede or credete (plural).

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 01:40:44 AM »
Credete makes more sense than crede in this case.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 06:10:56 AM »
Just tried it. Texture choices made it reminiscent of a very compressed disaster.bsp. Keep working on it :)

By the way, credere is "to believe". You may have been looking for an imperative form, crede or credete (plural).
ye i know, it's the Infinitive or how its called in english

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »
My Judging:
This is MY opinion. I'm sorry if everyone does not agree with me. If you feel I have marked wrong or anything, please PM me with DETAILS.

Detail - 40/100

Brushes in the map that are primarly there to make it look nice.

Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map? Is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (10/25)
I'm not too sure how to actually rate this. The map itself is just a simple sand map with boxes scattered everywhere. The detail seems to be relevant to uh, the 'theme' though, I wouldn't call it a theme.

Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (5/25)
The appearance of the map is not that great. It's lacking detail, a specific theme and is very open. I would not play this map if I were going by visuals only.

Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (15/25)
Quite a lot of the detail helps the player to get to different places (Dj's to behind flag, autococker, mid flag etc). Being such a small map though, some are unnecessary for gameplay.

Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (10/25)
I feel as if there is not enough detail in this map. It's very plain and an eye sore.

Jumps - 50/100

Judge based on the jumps of the map

Quanity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (20/25)
There is a nice quantity of jumps for such a small map.

Suitablity - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (10/25)
Most of the jumps in this map are not really needed. As the map is just a circle (small), players just run to the other base. If you turn your back to get the autococker or try to dj behind flag, the opposition will most likely get you. There really isn't that much time to perform jumps in this map without the other team killing you. Although, the dj behind flag and to grab the mid flag could be of use in some situations (although dangerous). Also, it's very awkward going the opposite way (so you will be blocked by the triangle jump).

Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (15/25)
With the use of the new physics, the jump where you hit the ramp, catch the sky and then land on the boxes is a pretty cool jump, that I guess, is relevant to sneak up on your opponent. Dj's to mid flag, a little ramp thing to autococker.. these seem to be relevantly placed. BUT, if you go the opposite way, the jumps get in your way. The map makes me feel like I HAVE to go a certain way around the map, which I do not like.

Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (5/25)
They are all very easy. You can't really make any difficult jumps as small as this.

Gameplay - 58/100

Judge based on how fun the map is to play

Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (8/15)
There are a few places where you can get stuck (heading towards the 'speed' jump backwards). Again, it's a small map and isn't very hard to navigate.

Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convienient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (10/10)
I don't see any problems with where they are placed.

Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (10/10)
I don't think you would need to worry about spawn killing on such a small map. They seem to be good, with both sides having the same spawn points.

Lines - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see  other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay?(5/15)
There are places to line mid, but, if you try to stop mid and shoot someone, by the time you get to there base they would have been back around and ready to cap on you. The 'base' is the only place where you won't be able to see the other player (plus low :P), which makes it a lot easier to sit on flag and wait for the other team to rush in.

Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (15/30)
The flag points are fine. This map would be very easy to camp at flag, making it very hard to grab. Then again, in a 1v1 situation, it would be very easy to trade captures.

Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (10/20)
To my surprise, there is a low. If you take this path you will be at a huge disadvantage. If you choose to go out the right side of base, it is a lot awkwarder and harder to navigate.

Technical Skill - 45/50

The quality of the mapping techniques used.

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (25/25)
The r_speeds are very low, the highest I could find was ~570. I doubt many players would have trouble running this map.

Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (5/10)
There are a few misaligned walls here and there.

Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (15/15)
The brush work seems to be fine.

Innovation - 10/50

Is this map NEW and EXCITING or have we seen it before?

Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (10/50)  
This map is not unique or innovative at all. Sand, boxes, cap spot. That's about it. I'll give 10 points for actually using the new physics in jumps, though.

Overall - 203/400
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:02:41 AM by Rick »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:46 AM »
oh actually temtare was my map for the contest....
(if thats a judging for the spec mapping contest...)
i just forgot to remove that i dont want this one in the contest... sorry :(
edit: i forgot to say thank you for the effort you did this helps me a lot and means a lot to me :')

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2014, 08:08:20 AM »
I believe you can enter the contest more than once, omni has placed both of your maps on the list. :) May as well get feedback on both maps!

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2014, 08:15:30 AM »
Wow i didnt notice that, phew :D

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
I had informed you multiple times. :(

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »
I had informed you multiple times. :(

lol sorry i forgot :D

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Re: new map: credere_b6
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 07:23:23 AM »
BETA 6 IS OUT!http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26637.0;attach=11192
(I decided to keep working on this map, because the final version wasnt really final, the version that was released for the #sPec# mapping contest is now called credere_b5 (attach in the main post, its exactly the same version, just an other name)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2014, 08:18:59 AM »
Again, here is a demo with some jumps.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2014, 02:46:32 PM »
Probably the last map I do today, got to revise.

Detail - 37/100

Brushes in the map that are primarily there to make it look nice.

Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map? Is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (10/25)
There's nothing much unique, just a bunch of crates. No real terrain either. At least the bunkers are made of stone, which vaguely makes sense.

Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (10/25)
The curved walls are OK, but without phong shading they look flat. Same texture choices as distaster.bsp; everything is just too similar looking.

Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (15/25)
Doesn't really get in the way, but doesn't enhance it either.

Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (12/25)
There is just enough to make the map look slightly less empty, but not enough to provide cover.

Jumps - 65/100

Judge based on the jumps of the map

Quantity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (15/25)
I know it's a small map, but there is probably room for a couple more junps.

Suitability - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (20/25)
The jumps that do exist are sensible and work well.

Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (20/25)
They seem to make sense, and do potentially reward the jumper.

Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (10/25)
Nothing very difficult here, I am kinda rusty at paintball movement after coming back from playing a lot of Warsow, but didn't have any problems. Higher level jumpers will get bored.

Gameplay - 65/100

Judge based on how fun the map is to play

Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (10/15)
Easy to get everywhere, although getting to low is an awkwardly tight entrance so you can't really jump.

Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convienient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (10/10)
Item placement seems fine.

Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (5/10)
The map is small, but there appear to only be 3 per team. One is positioned rather further forwards than the other, providing a rush advantage.

Lines - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay?(10/15)
Mid is open but hopefully wide enough that lining is not too much of an issue.

Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (20/30)
The flag is probably a bit too easy to guard because you have to go quite a way in order to flank the position above the flag. Good accessibility though.

Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (10/20)
Paths are not too unbalanced but low is awkward to enter and will probably get used a lot less. The map is just too simple, it's just an O that you strafe jump around in circles.

Technical Skill - 43/50

The quality of the mapping techniques used.

R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (20/25)
Everything is fine, very low poly. Capping the marks at 20 because nothing very challenging was attempted.

Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (9/10)
These have probably been fixed since, but in b5 there's a wall misaligned in the base that looks really jarring. Otherwise very good.

Brush + Grid work - Is their technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (14/15)
Everything is solid, while not too ambitious. The circular flag bases are quite unnecessarily detailed, but there is wpoly to spare.

Innovation - 10/50

Is this map NEW and EXCITING or have we seen it before?

Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (10/50)  
Sorry, but there is nothing new or inventive about this map. 5 marks for having a mid flag as well as the bases in CTF, and 5 marks for not using the green grass/stone walls combo, even if this texture combo is also relatively well-trodden.

Overall - 220/400

Again, thanks to Rick for the template and Omni for the categories.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:14:50 AM by ViciouZ »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
thank you for the effort you did this helps me a lot and means a lot to me :')

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2014, 03:48:15 PM »
Posted my judging here, so all the maps are in one location: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26586.msg243260#msg243260

Uploaded to the beta server.

Biggest complaint is the overall monotony of the visuals and lack of organic shape in the rocks.  At the very least, make the bunkers visually distinct...

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
Ok thanks for Feedback and judging