Author Topic: Daylight Remake  (Read 10915 times)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Daylight Remake
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:57:27 PM »
Hello fellas

Due to having holidays at the moment I'm in a mood for playing a bit of DP again and getting backinto mapping. While playing on speed servers I realised that daylight_b1 was pretty popular and remembered that a lot of people requested it to be remade when JMR startet his "Wobluda Remake" topic.

So I have started experimenting a bit in BSP and managed to recreate a Base that in my opinion has better visuals than the original. My idea would be like an agricultural, snowy theme to improve the visuals of the map and make it more appealing to new players who care more about the visuals than the gameplay. (I'm not planing to change the gameplay though)

So basicially what I'm asking for is opinions on how you like this idea (and the attached screenshots) and if anyone knows how I can contact Deranged to get his permission to do this.

I am expecting a lot of negative feedback since this is DP and change is almost never welcomed here..

PS: Sorry for the low res screens, i prefer playing with a small screen and I was to lazy to change to a bigger one :S

PPs. I dont want this thread to escalate like JMR's did, so please be constructive, thanks :)

Thanks for reading,
Matze
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:46:48 AM by MaTzeMR »

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
Re: Daylight Remake
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:01:40 PM »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:47:33 AM by MaTzeMR »

shockk

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:00:35 PM »
I was thinking not long ago of requesting a daylight remake, the originals low path is way too slow and there aren't enough paths in general

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:33:03 PM »
I'm way down to help with a remake. Fun map that could do for a facelift.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 04:33:01 AM »
to the people who want to help: I created a skype group for sharing the files etc.
thai, who is a pretty good mapper is already in there. So if you want to help just PM me your skype name and ill add you. I guess we will "work" like in shifts but nothing too structured.

And I'm asking again, does anyone still have contact to Deranged to get his permission to realease a remake if we actually get to finish it? That would be really helpful :)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 07:02:57 AM »
Just a qucik tip, the base as it is right now looks too plain. Experiment with the wood a little and probably using different wood textures for different parts of the wood would like much more interesting :p

I am sure its just a alpha alpha of alpha but still wanted to point it out just to be sure.

Also, that barrel jump to cap is much easier compared to the DJ in the original and you could have done "speed DJ" when you speeded on ice and DJed without stopping, maintaining your speed from ICE and capping pretty fast (yes it was possible to do without DJ script :p).

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
Just a qucik tip, the base as it is right now looks too plain. Experiment with the wood a little and probably using different wood textures for different parts of the wood would like much more interesting :p

I am sure its just a alpha alpha of alpha but still wanted to point it out just to be sure.

Also, that barrel jump to cap is much easier compared to the DJ in the original and you could have done "speed DJ" when you speeded on ice and DJed without stopping, maintaining your speed from ICE and capping pretty fast (yes it was possible to do without DJ script :p).
Yes we'll change some textures.
I know the quality of the screens suck but if you look closely or download the map you can see that theres a wood plank above the barrel so you cant use it to jump on the cap ;) (If thats what you were trying to say)

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:27:48 AM »
Yes we'll change some textures.
I know the quality of the screens suck but if you look closely or download the map you can see that theres a wood plank above the barrel so you cant use it to jump on the cap ;) (If thats what you were trying to say)

Can't really download it atm. But yea that's what I meant basically ^^, thought you wanted to decrease the difficulty of jump to cap from base :p

DooCi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »
From the pics of the base, it looks a lil too much like pp_sw(one of the worst maps ingame IMO).

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 07:23:51 AM »
From the pics of the base, it looks a lil too much like pp_sw(one of the worst maps ingame IMO).
Well it won't look like pp_sw in the end :)

Since there havent been much other opinions and thai, Ace and I are actually doing this now I'll lock the topic for now.
I guess we will update you with some sshots soon. Ill also PM Deranged asking for his permission for a release and hope that he will log in in the next weeks since nobody seems to know how one could contact him otherwise. (If you do please PM me)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 01:32:58 PM »
Things start to look like daylight...
[Still inprogress]

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 10:48:45 PM »

And I'm asking again, does anyone still have contact to Deranged to get his permission to realease a remake if we actually get to finish it? That would be really helpful :)
I have him added on LoL and he plays sometimes. I'll ask him, link him to this thread.

Map looks great m8. I r8 8/8. No seriously though, it looks x10 better than the old daylight. Also is this Daylt from OVO crew tryna diss meek mill? :p

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 05:08:54 AM »
I have him added on LoL and he plays sometimes. I'll ask him, link him to this thread.

Map looks great m8. I r8 8/8. No seriously though, it looks x10 better than the old daylight. Also is this Daylt from OVO crew tryna diss meek mill? :p
Thanks Tox, that would be awesome. As I've mentioned before I have also sent Deranged a PM with a bit more Information, that he could check as well when he sees this.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 05:34:02 AM »
I don't really like that you made the map bigger compared to the original one, now it feels like arenaball vs bigarenaball (alright, not that much, but kind of) tbh. I kind of liked the way original one used proportions.

Also, in the last released version, that ladder in base was really buggy. Not sure if you fixed it, but the way to do it is that you put 1pxclip in front of the whole ladder, so that you climb on the clip made out of one piece and not each separate level of the ladder.

But otherwise it looks pretty cool visually.

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 05:47:19 AM »
I don't really like that you made the map bigger compared to the original one, now it feels like arenaball vs bigarenaball (alright, not that much, but kind of) tbh. I kind of liked the way original one used proportions.

Also, in the last released version, that ladder in base was really buggy. Not sure if you fixed it, but the way to do it is that you put 1pxclip in front of the whole ladder, so that you climb on the clip made out of one piece and not each separate level of the ladder.

But otherwise it looks pretty cool visually.
Wait do you mean the base? I'm pretty sure that we used the exact same layout on the base as in the original.

Thanks for the tip with the ladder, gonna do that.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »
Well I think the biggest thing for me is whether we want to do a remake (keep roughly same proportions / ideas), or really redo the map (add spots, take away spots, change ideas, etc).

Our goal was to remake the old map in roughly the same proportions and then go from there with any suggestions people had for really altering the map.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 01:19:13 PM »
Hmm, yea you are right, the proportions are same (or at least similar), for some reason the remake feels much bigger proportionally, but the truth is it isn't. Maybe I just haven't play the original daylight for too long :p.

Thanks for the tip with the ladder, gonna do that.
No problem, btw you should do this clip trick for other stuff as well, for example those wood planks holding the wood above FD (original autococker spot), you should/could put clips in between them so you don't get stuck there ;)

MaTzeMR

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 01:41:06 PM »
Hmm, yea you are right, the proportions are same (or at least similar), for some reason the remake feels much bigger proportionally, but the truth is it isn't. Maybe I just haven't play the original daylight for too long :p.
No problem, btw you should do this clip trick for other stuff as well, for example those wood planks holding the wood above FD (original autococker spot), you should/could put clips in between them so you don't get stuck there ;)
Alright, I guess we're currently having a break to see what deranged says, but we'll add that if he gives us green light.

omni

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »
That looks awesome. But why daylight its horrid.

kKd

• Stingray
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »
How is it going? And where to download it?