Author Topic: Why do faces overlap in UV layout?  (Read 772 times)

Toolwut

• Stingray
Why do faces overlap in UV layout?
« on: April 15, 2020, 10:37:22 AM »
I just thought, that md2 import script I released today (https://forums.digitalpaint.org/index.php?topic=28727.0) can be well used to re-texture models .. e.g. the local view model is free to modify for everyone. Unfortunately, for some models, regions used from the skin file are used by multiple faces, so you couldn't easily give the barrel in the front of a gun a certain color without also changing the color of other parts of the model. Hard to explain, see the screenshots.

My question is - is there a reason for it, and could this nowadays with hr4 be resolved? Would be cool to have more high quality gun skins like the one from promarijan (https://forums.digitalpaint.org/index.php?topic=27139.msg247385;topicseen#msg247385) but without weird fragments later in-game.

(BTW blender has this texture paint mode where you can easily draw on the skin and the model changes and vice versa, perfect for editing skins)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Why do faces overlap in UV layout?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 04:42:18 AM »
Probably because I didn't know what I was doing back then.  I don't even remember how I made those models.  I'd like to remake them at some point.

Toolwut

• Stingray
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 05:12:07 AM »
Good to hear. This texture painting feature from blender motivates me to continue working on the add-on, then it should be easy to adjust issues within md2 models (like broken skin pathes or not pathes that dont match the skin used by dp). Maybe we can even have modeling / texturing competitions for higher quality gun and utility models at some point :)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 03:22:36 AM »
Ultimately, I'll probably make the model a SKM with separate meshes for the hands and hopper so they can be shared across all the weapons (and not all in a single mesh).

Toolwut

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 03:38:16 AM »
But how much of a priority does this have? There are not so many and big updates these days so there should be more urgent stuff to do, right (hinting at new features like map specific ultility, flag or even player models+skins)?