Author Topic: May 3VS3 Tournament  (Read 2786 times)

redguy

• PGP
May 3VS3 Tournament
« on: May 07, 2020, 06:36:30 AM »
Hey everyone, last tournament was great, people really enjoyed playing matches against other teams, so I decided to host another Tournament.

This time i will directly start with a 3vs3. If necessary i will change it to a 2vs2.

DATE & TIME

23rd of May - 06:30 PM (GMT +2)

Tournament will be in-between Social Saturdays again. I will, if necessary, start the Tournament a little bit later, although i think this time is the best for the majority of teams. If your teammate is busy at a given time during the tournament, you can use a sub/ringer. This is acceptable as long as they have not played in the tournament up until that point for any other team (means you can also use subs/ringers in the upcoming rounds).

RULES

Same rules. Do not cheat. Try to show up on time and play fair.
Also refer to the official match rules set out by rockitude (https://forums.digitalpaint.org/index.php?topic=28490.0).

Tournament specific rules

The format will be completely new this time. I think the single map double elim system was good, but really short, especially for the teams that only played 2 matches or for good teams that only played against 3 - 4 teams (out of 9 teams!). I will make it a League system this time. More matches, more fun and..more work for me. But i think it will be worth it.
[Side Note: If there will be more teams than expected, i have to shorten rounds or change to double elim again.]

• League System: everyone plays one match against every other team.
  • 1 win equals 2 points. I think 2 points is the best way to avoid too great point divergences.
  • Disconnecting during rounds (i. e. to prevent caps) will count as a forfeit, which means 50 - 0. Reconnecting in between rounds to fix (lag) issues are allowed. If you feel like a team abuses this rule, write a message in the event-channel. Both teams need to provide demos for reviewing in such a case.
  • Discord Account is required. Announcements and communication will happen there.
  • Fun tags and trashtalk (in a humorous spirit) are welcomed.
  • Demos and/or Livestreams for the community are welcomed.
  • Higher seeded team (the team who are closer to the top of the bracket) has to post SCREENSHOTS of each match.

Maprules
Had a discussion ongoing in the event_discussion servers. My maprule seems to be not that efficient. Easiest way for everyone should be me forcing 1 map for each round (Thanks for the suggestions Y2J!). This way every team will play on every map. Do I like it? Honestly, no. But it is the best method, so I will be more than happy to use it. The mapsequence will be announced soon.

Mappool

People liked the maplist of the Spring Tournament. I added one more map though. Again, feel free to suggest maps that you want to see in the maplist.

pbcup_pforest, pbcup_renoir, propaint1, wobluda_fix, airtime, duck_fix_b6, castle1, carpathian and (if 9 Maps are necessary) pbcup_sassault.

SERVERS [PLANNED]
Players are to play on EU servers provided by Ic3y, with the exception of teams who have mutually agreed upon playing on another server. This is to allow NA players to play comfortably too.
I was told NA players like playing on JMR's EU servers. Guess it should be okay for EU players to play on it. This means that matches between NA and EU teams will happen there. However, if any problem will occur, teams will play on Ic3y's Servers.

Every change will be announced in the DP-Discord channel. Im also going to add an OPEN-Group again for interested players that have no teams. Note that this is so you can see all interested players, so...use it! Last time I had many interested players, who didnt signed up, which resulted in having 2 - 3 teams less that could have participated.
This time the Solos will also be randomly assigned to teams right before closing the Sign-ups. Solos have to provide their discord-tag (PM me here or in discord). This way I can contact you and place you in random teams.

Another side note: This League System will give me the possibility to be more strict, in another words, to give penalty points if a team for example wont post sshots or are delaying matches.

The May 3vs3 Tournament is over! Thanks for participating everyone and congratulations to .CROWN. for winning this one.
Also thanks to ic3y and JMR for hosting the servers!

FINAL STANDINGS FOR THE 2020 SPRING CORONA 3VS3 TOURNAMENT

(wins/games)

1) .CROWN.  - znt, jeo and sqz (6/6)
2) cx8t - elpapi, spain and spartax (5/6)

3) (multiple teams!)
- >og< visa, n3g4t1v1ty, icedtea, playah and shk (3/6)
- [eX] - aveirik, ascra, adamix(3/6)
- Nostalgic Rage -btQ, veQ and gama (3/6)

For the records, the third placed teams had interesting results against each other. >og< won against Nostalgic Rage, but lost against [eX], and [eX] won against >og< but lost against Nostalgic Rage.

6) kiwi - lwsi, voxl and kui (1/6)
7) spec - mission, omni  jmr and fluk3y (0/6)

Tournament results in the challonge site (ignore the random points): https://challonge.com/de/ht72thip

Missed it? No problem, you can watch sqz's stream (Twitch videos wont last long): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/629879107

Some teams also uploaded their demos, go and grab them! https://banterous.de/page/browse

All the standings and sshots will be achieved in the #may_tourney channel of our discord server. Not in that server? No problem, just look at jmr's post and click on the given link there. Most of the community has migrated to Discord anyway:

https://forums.digitalpaint.org/index.php?topic=28347.0

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:05:58 AM by redguy »

Mission

• 68 Carbine
Re: May 3VS3 Tournament
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 07:20:47 AM »
sign sPec up
Mission JMR stomper omni fluke

"- 1 win equals 2 points. I think 2 points is the best way to avoid too great point divergences"

There is no such thing as a points divergence, only a 'wins' divergence.

For example,

Let x = number of points for win

team A wins 2 matches = 2*x points
team b wins 1 match = x points

point "divergence" is measured in ratio of points, rather than absolute difference in points

team_A_points/ team_B_points = 2*x/x = 2 = team_A_wins/team_B_wins

Another way of saying this is
No matter what the value of x is, team B only needs to win one more match to equal team A's points.

Ofcourse, there are aesthetic reasons for chosing 2. We wouldn't award 10000000000000000000000000 points for a win, now that would be silly!

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 01:04:03 AM »
Trashtalk is welcomed? The most primitive way of conversation. I thought you have a higher standard..

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 02:43:48 AM »
Concerning the map list,  litt is a map that isn't even played and should be replaced with for exemple: (pbcup_sassault, g2_b2, shazam22, sassault4_b3, prolandr...) or even something else as long as its not a map nobody plays.

Your objective concerning the map elimination process was to shorten it up and make it clearer and i don't think you achieved that. I suggest you take in considerations from the discussion there was on the DP2 discord server.

As Mission mentioned we are only using Wins & losses on the scoreboard. You don't have to complicate things off and should just go with 1 pts for a victory & 0 for a defeat. Whether you reward 2 or 1 pts for  the victory doesn't change anything, go back to 1 and make it simple. 

And last but not least, i don't get either why trash-talk is welcomed ? I assume it is a wrong translation or you worded it wrong ? Being respectful is a quality, trash-talking on the other hand imply that you need to resort to something else than in-game means and therefore it displays weakness IMO. We have really bad examples from DP2 players but it's not a reason to encourage it.

You can sign up .CROWN. with the following roster:  Jeo, Sqz, zNt.

redguy

• PGP
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 01:43:18 PM »
Was busy the last days, no chance to check forums/update the thread. Sign-up list is updated now.

There is no such thing as a points divergence, only a 'wins' divergence.
That's absolutely true. guess I could wrote it better. The point I was leading to was the fact to keep it as simple as possible for spectators so they can easily understand the way of winning points, because that was one thing i didn't liked about JMR's chart he used in this tourney (https://challonge.com/20thPaintball2). The Point-numbers looked so random to me, and my intention was to keep it as simple as possible (although actually i don't know if that was intended or if it was challonge sided). Why not 1 point for one win? Well, i can use that, but 2 should be fine too.

Concerning the map list,  litt is a map that isn't even played
Well, yes the maplist is a critical aspect of every tournament. There is no perfect maplist, there always will be someone who wont agree with the maplist. And about litt, yes i will delete it from the mappool (same for daylight), although it is an absolutely fine map in my eyes (which i also enjoy playing). Probably gonna replace it with other maps.

Your objective concerning the map elimination process was to shorten it up and make it clearer and i don't think you achieved that. I suggest you take in considerations from the discussion there was on the DP2 discord server.
Yes, i will. I was part of the discussion, but thanks for the reminder. Like said, those rules shouldn't be seen as final and I will definetly change them.

And I honestly don't get the problem in trash talking? I am talking about trash talking in a humorous spirit, I absolutely don't support people insulting others and my intention wasn't encouraging people to do so. I thought this was clear, but guess not (and by the way, trash talking was also mentioned in my last Tournament post).
Its even kinda ironic in my eyes that ranger thinks it is " The most primitive way of conversation.", but at the same time enjoying it. Unfortunately, twitch is not saving videos for that long, means its lost..
  ;D Blitz in the end of Airtime when score 13:7 "Shouldve done the bye"... Zimtstern: "Blitz you are the worst of them"... Blitz: "My monitor is off" ... "Sound only" ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:24:05 PM by redguy »

Ranger

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 04:41:32 AM »
Come on.. that wasnt any trashtalking... That were spirit friendly notes... I see trashtalking as something totally different...

ascraeus

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 03:16:21 PM »
hey besties.

sign us up
NobleXity [eX] - aveirik, ascraeus, asla, adamix

yes

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 03:56:16 AM »
Quick question. Are the settings of servers the same as the leasable ones? Specifically asking for gren_explodeonimpact, since this option is disabled on OTB's but enabled on ic3y's generally.

redguy

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 07:04:22 AM »
Guess I had to mention the server settings to inform all participants, yeah my fault. Concerning the gren_explodeonimpact: they will be enabled on this tourney, mainly because the majority of matchers should be used to them anyway (I was even asked to enable them (before the Tournament started), because I totally missed it the first time).
In other words, I tried to set it similiar. However, i dont know if it actually is 100% the same, the most important one's (e.g. grenimpact) is like Ic3y's Server.

Note for everyone: Rules should be updated soon.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:27:45 AM by redguy »

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 03:06:39 AM »
We are ready to put bad beating on targets that needs to get removed out of our way.

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »
Winners team POV, as always: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/629879107

Great league, big props for redguy, thank you sir for this league.