Author Topic: Promote map remakes | Overwrite maps  (Read 3085 times)

Toolwut

• Stingray
Promote map remakes | Overwrite maps
« on: August 01, 2020, 06:53:51 AM »
Posting this here because I think it's mostly relevant to players.

A lot of maps have been created in a time, when PCs were far more limited than nowadays. That's why many currently popular maps are geometrically more spartanic than necessary, have bad lighting etc. Also, excessive playing gives many clues about how maps could be improved. There are already a bunch of finished or abandoned map remakes, e.g. of crates, sandtrap, xbmap, shock, daylight, italy, wobluda, propaint1.

The issue nowadays is that map remakes are hardly accepted by the community. Using many maps that are far below even the DP2 engine's capabilities makes the game look far more ugly than it actually is. At the same time it suggests to mappers that they could also spend their time differently, players stick to what they know anyway.

My suggestion would be overwriting the original bsp file. For the extra nostalgia, it could be kept under a different name / in a different subdirectory. I think that many improved map versions are simply not played because everyone is used to typing "newmap <mapname>" instead of thinking for ages about the remake's name when it has the same gameplay anyway. If e.g. "newmap blitz" would be reserved for the latest accepted version of blitz, admins (/people with login on a matching server) wouldn't have to keep all the different versions in mind. Similar to an opt-out system that works better than opt-in in real life, this would promote the usage of map remakes.

This thread is NOT about who decides what *the* remake is nor about getting permission from the mapper.

I'd like to know what you think about this. DP could look a lot better if players wouldn't stick to the same ugly map versions they've played for decades which in turn could make the game more attractive for new players. This would also in theory allow for continuous refinement of maps so minor parts of maps could be adjusted to improve gameplay. The same system works in games like cs:go where popular maps are being maintained and keep the original name, while at the same time private servers can load whatever map version they want.

Some random eye candy of how much better this game could look with updated map versions.

Sandtrap:

Daylight:

Wobluda (the _fix could finally be removed then) sewers:

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
Re: Promote map remakes | Overwrite maps
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 03:26:34 AM »
this wobluda sewer looks much better in my opinion :)

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 03:32:23 AM »
sandtrap remake: apparently I removed some core gameplay things from original sandtrap and people don't like it

daylight remake: this is just dumb, it goes way over the top. You need to find balance between details and performance. The base alone is like what, 6k-7k wpoly? that just isn't acceptable

wobluda remake: same comments as on my sandtrap remake

like the idea, hate the execution

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 03:46:00 AM »
I want to toss these here too to boost my ego

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 03:55:56 AM »
I agree with the idea of pushing people to play HD remake like crates_hd, sandtrap_hd_b1, blitz_b2e1. they are enormous improvement but we need to make sure gameplay is as close as it can get.

- crates_hd is already better looking than the original.

- sandtrap_hd_b1 require a bit of rework to make it as close gameplay-wise as original gameplaywise but the look is a good improvement.

- blitz_b2e1 is already better, just need to make sure those wooden support for fences in the middle of the map is walkable through, make it a mist or something.

- wob_sew_whoa Yes it defenitely looks more natural and doesn't impact gameplay in comparison of toolwul's wobluda suggestion. Make sure those light are a mist and won't impact gameplay because people oftenly tends to go on those spot to be off-angle when there are sewer duels. (reworked sewer is not enough to make an HD version of the map IMO, would have to work on the rest of the map too)

- daylight remake looks very dope, would have to work on lowering the wpolys if anyone is willing to spend time for it and then i'd fully support it. Visual improvement is possible without impacting too much the performances, it's just bad mapping at this point.

- whoa's italy remake looks insane, i'd very love to see it having an HD version with the closest gameplay as original, how is the progression ?

I'd like to add, reworking a map require the approving of the original mapper, if you are ever to release an HD version of an existing map, make sure you have their approvements, keep in mind that gameplay is the key point, and then the look comes after.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:53:23 AM by JeongWa »

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 07:54:56 AM »
Daylight looks like it has impact on gameplay, since objects and shapes are changed, same for wobluda sewer, visual remakes looks cool and I like it a lot, but since it has impact on gameplay, this visual remake lost value to me.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:03:47 AM »
You can use clipbrushes to make it the same shape as in old one while appearing different. Only thing changed from old in that sewer is the roof of it (and lights ofc, but as jeo said they should be mist and thus won't affect in any other way but visual)

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 08:15:27 AM »
There is extra ramp on right side of picture, on original there is no ramp, + to these clip brushes, it's not just clip brushes lmfao. There is literally empty space below flag on daylight map, even with clip brush it would be confusing af. + Barrels are completely different with the amount and style of jumping on top from the old daylight boxes. On top of that, up there in right top corner, there is some huge box that was not there before. So don't tell me it doesn't change playstyle if it's completely different and with just clip brushes.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 08:15:28 AM »
Remakes are fine as long as they are visual only. They should NOT impact the gameplay of a map AT ALL, because the gameplay is the MAIN REASON a map gets played.

Both of the wobluda sewers remakes impact the gameplay and flow of the map. While they may look cool the flow gets changed. On the original sewers you can wall-strafe to gain speed and curve easily around the corner to get into base.
On Toolwuts example those dirt-parts on the walls would not allow wallstrafing.
On Whoas example there is some awkward ramp at the curve and the ice part is smaller, which would force a player to reposition and lose speed.
Therefore both remakes are NOT only visual upgrades - which will be the reason those will never get picked.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 08:22:27 AM »
As I said, you could cut the ramp off with clip which would make it look different but not actually play different. Of course some things like nades would still go through the clip and bounce from the ramp.

There is only so much you can do without altering the brushes and any noticeable improvment would need new brushwork.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 08:24:05 AM »
As I said, you could cut the ramp off with clip which would make it look different but not actually play different. Of course some things like nades would still go through the clip and bounce from the ramp.

There is only so much you can do without altering the brushes and any noticeable improvment would need new brushwork.

Simply using clip brushes/invisible walls would be very confusing, don't you think?

Squeeze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 08:24:33 AM »
No thanks I will just use original maps :)

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 08:29:33 AM »
On that ramp? No, it wouldn't be that confusing. Somewhere else? Possibly yes, it depends on the way how it is executed. There is a visual wall there and players are used to wobludas current sewer so they won't think much of it when there is a thin layer stopping them from getting on the ramp. In the other hand for example carpathian clip brush is bad cause it is on a wide open area and there is nothing visual that is hinting player that they shouldn't go there.

redguy

• PGP
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 08:40:29 AM »
(Note: looks like im kinda late, will post this neverthless.)

I dont think this topic is about all the remakes specifically but more about overwriting maps in general to improve the visualization of them. Not fitting to the topic to spam more remake examples since toolwut already gave some (curb your ego whoa).
First of all, I want to say that I like this idea. Better looks leads should lead to a better game, right? Well yeah, I also kinda like the theoretical idea behind it, but its simply not doable:

A lot of maps have been created in a time, when PCs were far more limited than nowadays. That's why many currently popular maps are geometrically more spartanic than necessary, have bad lighting etc

I disagree. Its was not only the fault of the poor PCs of that time. Look at maps like pbcup_renoir and freedom, both of them have high wpoly (i still have HUGE fps drops on my laptop with reflective water) but both are still played on matches nowadays. The reasons is more the idleness or unexperience of mappers: Lets come to modern maps (i will intentionally use your guys maps as an example, because you are part of this discussion), do you think botanic_b1 looks good? Same for azur and brokendojo (broken has too high wpoly too). All are blocky maps that are lookwise not that great compared to other maps. Mappers just have to invest time, good looking maps are possible even without high wpoly. Best example are probably all the rassy, rimini and jmr maps.

The issue nowadays is that map remakes are hardly accepted by the community. Using many maps that are far below even the DP2 engine's capabilities makes the game look far more ugly than it actually is. At the same time it suggests to mappers that they could also spend their time differently, players stick to what they know anyway.

For a reason, atleast in my opinion. Never saw a only retextured version of a map, where gameplay is 100% the same. There were recent tries, but those mappers are (for reasons) not releasing those maps, which is really a bummer. Mappers are also CHANGING the layout of the map, which not only leads to multiple versions of the SAME map (e.g. all the wobluda versions) but also a changed gameplay (opening up too many new lines, making some jumps much harder ? this is what was made in one of the newer wobludas by just making the barrels smaller by the way). And another thing: im pretty sure that you cant wallstrafe on that sewer properly (toolwuts sewer picture), thats one of the movement features of q2, which gets so many older players back, because this game is simply unique. And older players coming back was always a part of this game. Also: as DT says, a match map should be as bright as possible, which is not the case in whoas sewer (although actually i cant really tell if it looks darker than it is). Well, yeah im wont comment every aspect of every map here since this is about overwriting and not remakes.

My suggestion would be overwriting the original bsp file. For the extra nostalgia, it could be kept under a different name / in a different subdirectory. I think that many improved map versions are simply not played because everyone is used to typing "newmap <mapname>" instead of thinking for ages about the remake's name when it has the same gameplay anyway. If e.g. "newmap blitz" would be reserve

I absolutly disagree. I already said it some times ago: planned to match on the older napalm but we COULDNT because the map was overwritten and we had no chance to find the older one (if it wasnt even deleted). This also counts for the nostalgic reasons, an old mapper who cames back, gets on a rented server and cant find his version? No, thanks. I even played some months ago with an ex-committee member on wobluda where we talked about the map and how oBi failed on his version. I still think that the mapping community should work here like dplogin – Names are first come first serve, changing other mappers maps (especially without their consent)? I dont know, i see it as a big disrespect and wouldnt allow this to happen to my maps (if i had any). And about the names, active players shouldnt have any problems at all to find/type their fav. Maps. If im used to play (and type) wobluda_fix, then it shouldnt be a problem right? AND for the case that mappers give long names to those maps (like rome2_160912, sorry rick but why? >:( ) this should be seen as the mappers fault.
Another big problem is see that makes overwriting simply impossible: inactive admins. Pretty sure there are many and everyone knows them. Its just stupid overwriting stuff that isnt overwritten on other servers (that also have match servers) – and i absolutly dont wanna re-download every remade map. Server admins also are not forced to follow any guidelines, no-one can restrict their rights (as long as it is „legal“ i guess) AFAIK. That means that even smaller serveradmins could follow their own rules, right?

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »
do you think botanic_b1 looks good? Same for azur and brokendojo (broken has too high wpoly too). All are blocky maps that are lookwise not that great compared to other maps.

to answer your question, no i don't think either botanic, azur or brokendojo looks good. Mapping takes time and trials, probably any decent mapper went through phases of producing lots of first maps which weren't great, but they slowly progressed. I'm not sure what you are trying to tell with that quote:

A lot of maps have been created in a time, when PCs were far more limited than nowadays. That's why many currently popular maps are geometrically more spartanic than necessary, have bad lighting etc

Because i also disagree with what is said in there and i don't see the link between what is said in the quote and the map comparison you made.

Concerning the overwrite of map-names i also strongly disapprove the usage and will tell any server hoster that i know to absolutely not do it.
We have many maps that are better than their remake version and that's enough reason to never overwrite any map. If you are a server hoster and you overwrite map names, you are making a big mistake. Just making this clear.

What i am approving in this post is the promotion of map remakes. As long as it's done fair & square:

- Diff namefile
- Almost no change to gameplay
- Better looking

I'm all for it.

redguy

• PGP
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »
Im not sure if you read toolwuts post jeo, because i actually quoted HIM. Also, i thought it was clear (not only in this post but also in others that i will quote) that toolwut is FOR OVERWRITING maps and not just getting remakes with other names/looks but same gameplay. In fact, thats something that he wants to avoid:

Nice to see these overhauls, both are big improvements compared to the original. Would be cool to have the old blitz overwritten by such an updated version at some point.

Quote from: JeongWa
to answer your question, no i don't think either botanic, azur or brokendojo looks good. Mapping takes time and trials, probably any decent mapper went through phases of producing lots of first maps which weren't great, but they slowly progressed.
thats what im saying. Mapping takes his time. Even DT only released like some maps in one year plus he admitted that his first 25 maps were (lets say) not that good like :) . Those bad maps that we have exactly came from the reasons i named (laziness and /or inexperience)

Quote from: JeongWa
I'm not sure what you are trying to tell with that quote:

Because i also disagree with what is said in there and i don't see the link between what is said in the quote and the map comparison you made.

And i honestly know what exactly you dont understand here. (just for the records, again, i quoted TOOLWUT here. You even said that mapping takes his time, AND I was just saying that we have bad maps because of idleness or unexperience of mappers. Which is pretty much the case here? Im even pretty confident that my map comparison is pretty fitting, because those mappers actually INVESTED time plus also have more DETAILS than other maps of that time?
Looks like we are not clear, i am AGAINST overwriting. About the other stuff, i honestly dont care about newer remakes, every new map is cool =) .

Toolwut

• Stingray
Re: Promote map ... FACELIFTS | Overwrite maps
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 10:51:12 AM »
This thread is NOT about who decides what *the* remake is nor about getting permission from the mapper.

Should have added that this is not about discussing individual remakes. And again, this is not about getting permission.

A lot of maps have been created in a time, when PCs were far more limited than nowadays. That's why many currently popular maps are geometrically more spartanic than necessary, have bad lighting etc.

I had popular flat maps in mind like Blitz or wobluda. Early maps were made with the PCs you had back then in mind (I'm not a historian and the examples might be wrong). The most popular maps are what represents DP to the outside. Some of whoa's remakes (I hereby explicitly restrict this to the visuals) show how you can make a map look a lot better without altering gameplay. Many maps allow increasing r_speeds here and there without having any significant impact on the fps (aka. not making the map unplayable all of a sudden). And I think "facelifting" those maps (yeah shouldn't have said remake) without changing gameplay is totally worth it.

Also, map editors and compilers evolved over time. A lot of maps have vis bugs or bad lighting, nowadays we have better compilers that won't let that happen / allow a hell lot better lighting. And the editors we have these days are also a lot better than what you had back then (remember jitspoe talking on discord about manually aligning textures in the beginnings of DP).

What i am approving in this post is the promotion of map remakes. As long as it's done fair & square:

- Diff namefile
- Almost no change to gameplay
- Better looking

I'm all for it.

How does this promote remakes? It's just the status-quo of how to release a map.

Another big problem is see that makes overwriting simply impossible: inactive admins. Pretty sure there are many and everyone knows them. Its just stupid overwriting stuff that isnt overwritten on other servers (that also have match servers) – and i absolutly dont wanna re-download every remade map. Server admins also are not forced to follow any guidelines, no-one can restrict their rights (as long as it is „legal“ i guess) AFAIK. That means that even smaller serveradmins could follow their own rules, right?

Superman disappeared because of being too inactive. Whoa and ic3y said they would support this as long as each individual case would be decided about by an accepted group of players. For richard and terrorist I hope that at least one of them will participate in the discussion and support its outcome. I'm sure that map overwriting would logistically possible. Even now, every server admin can randomly rename maps and players would have to redownload them on every server change. As long as the biggest admins do the overwriting, every sane and active server admin will follow.

So yeah once again, I only want to discuss the idea of improving maps visually and fix bugs (30 point for cap on blitz, spawns facing in the wrong direction on wob, qwitschibo, gp etc.) and overwriting the original files with those better versions. In theory if there are gameplay adjustments the majority agrees are good, those COULD also be added into those refinements. But I wanted this thread to be about overwriting maps with facelifts that keep gameplay but look (visually obviously) more appealing.

JeongWa

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
How does this promote remakes? It's just the status-quo of how to release a map.
If you want maps to be promoted, they have to be more attractive than originals.

From the screenshots you've provided there is maps we can promote and maps we canno't as they are not always the best option gameplaywise. Don't you see how directly related the topics are ?

FYI I did promote few HD versions for last tournaments but it's not always accepted for the reasons above hence why it's important for HD remakes to fits some criterias IMO.

to @redguy

AND I was just saying that we have bad maps because of idleness or unexperience of mappers.

I did not understand you at first but now i got it.

3lf

• Map Committee
  • VM-68
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 01:43:17 PM »
These were all made with just editing the lighting, 0 brushwork. What is your guys stand with these kinda edits? Still not acceptable to replace and move old one to a hidden subdir, even tho original mapper is onboard with it?

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 06:25:42 PM »
AND for the case that mappers give long names to those maps (like rome2_160912, sorry rick but why? >:( ) this should be seen as the mappers fault.
I posted it in the 'Beta / In-Progress Maps' to get feedback... Not my fault someone has put it up on a server, it wasn't even an alpha at that point. The trailing portion is the date - 16/09/2012 (09/16/2012 for the weird people).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:07:52 AM by Rick »