Author Topic: Promote map remakes | Overwrite maps  (Read 3084 times)

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
Re: Promote map remakes | Overwrite maps
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 07:41:01 PM »
For some reason, my edits are not working - so double post :)
Remakes are fine as long as they are visual only. They should NOT impact the gameplay of a map AT ALL, because the gameplay is the MAIN REASON a map gets played.

Yeah, DirtyTaco's pbcup_renoir/pbcup_pforest/others are remakes that changed gameplay - I assume you don't play those because of the impact on original gameplay? /s I think what you mean is...
Remakes are fine, there is 2000+ unplayed maps that could have a remake and be popular maps, but when it comes to the current (and former) popular maps like wobluda, no gameplay altering updates should occur. Gameplay is the REASON popular maps gets played.

Zenit

• VM-68
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 03:12:37 AM »
Yeah, I didn't think I'd have to explain that I was referring to remaking popular maps. I thought it was clear enough, because nobody was talking about the 2000+ unplayed maps. Thank you for clarifying though, that is exactly what I meant.

Rick

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 04:28:40 AM »
Yeah, I didn't think I'd have to explain that I was referring to remaking popular maps. I thought it was clear enough, because nobody was talking about the 2000+ unplayed maps. Thank you for clarifying though, that is exactly what I meant.

Some poor unfinished maps (broken_dojo, rome2 etc.) started being named, so being specific will stop any confusion that may happen. Not trying to be mean or troll :)

MyeRs

• Autococker
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2020, 09:08:35 PM »
I think there's a wording confusion here...

REMAKING a map (Pbcup series, some of the Flaw series, propaint1/2/3, shazam22/33 etc..) is different than visually updating a map.

REMAKING should be pretty noticeable change to the map, not mirroring and aesthetically changing. Visual updates should improve upon the map without changing any core gameplay features (which, to those whom have no matching experience - some of the smallest details that seem meaningless can actually hold a lot of value to a maps gameplay).

Remakes of a map - should NOT overwrite an old map. Pbcup_pforest should not overwrite Pforest. They are complete different gameplay, and while one builds off the other - they are unique maps.

Visual updates --> I am all for replacing the old maps with visual improvements that do not change the gameplay of a map - it should stay true to the original. Small things (like floating boxes in Blitz) do impact situational gameplay. If you think that's "dumb" or something - go make a new map, or remake the map. If you want to visually change, and purely address aesthetics - stay true to what the map is.

SCREENSHOTS:

Strap = it's a remake not a visual update, embrace that - you made it visually nicer while changing it's default gameplay, so create a new gameplay to improve on it.

Wob: Toolwut's pic looks more like attempted remake/diff map. Whoa's looks more similar to default.

Figure out what you're wanting: a remake or a visual update. And then go with the choice. But a lot of them are a half-assed mix of remake and visual update, and then mappers go "wow but its so much prettier why wont people like it!!" - while they change aesthetics and details within a map to make it not enough of a change to be a remake/new map, but enough of a change to make people stick to the defaults.

---

If we're showing progress: (I've attempted to do visual updates, not an experienced mapper) -- (NOTE: Xbmap1 is progress SS (as can see, mid was not complete yet).)

redguy

• PGP
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2020, 01:59:48 PM »
Quote from: Toolwut
I had popular flat maps in mind like Blitz or wobluda. Early maps were made with the PCs you had back then in mind (I'm not a historian and the examples might be wrong).
I dont think the example's are that fitting. :) oBi wasnt known for creating detailled maps, his technical skills were terrible, all of his maps are basically fps-lag maps that either are "fixed" or (obviously) arent. Honestly, i enjoy pretty much all of his (known) maps - i mean, they are known for reasons. I also dont think that blitz' intention when creating his map was to make a good map but rather a map where he can prove that he isnt wallhacking - one of the few maps that actually have a creation story behind it. Hell, examples like sandtrap or crates would be more fitting, those maps are darn-old and only some nerds are still playing it (sorry, but i had to say it :( ) (plus: pretty sure there is a reason why its only played by only a few :) ).

The most popular maps are what represents DP to the outside.
No idea what to think about this: https://gamejolt.com/games/paintball2/427469 (i activly only play on one of that maps showed)
Also, im pretty sure that most new players are actually not directly looking at the map itself (textures, look whatever) but probably more at all the players that are flying around. But we have a good tutorial, right? :)
But seriously, my biggest complaint at the very start was (for real) the hard movement and not the maps in general. In fact, castle1 and carpathian were one of the very first maps i played (thanks to servers), and those are lookwise still counted as modern. Also, serveradmins of the most %u201Eused%u201C servers have modern looking maps in their maplist %u2013 yes, there are exceptions, those should be just a few (again, thanks to those %u201Eactive%u201C admins)

Some of whoa's remakes (I hereby explicitly restrict this to the visuals) show how you can make a map look a lot better without altering gameplay.
Whoa made no remake where he did not altered the gameplay. Crates_hd has new ways and sandtrap...is a story for itself.
Quote from: discord quote
I was excited to see sandtrap remastered thinking it was just a visual-facelift, but then I realized it was just removing all the lines and gameplay people liked about it and opening it up

Also, map editors and compilers evolved over time. A lot of maps have vis bugs or bad lighting, nowadays we have better compilers that won't let that happen / allow a hell lot better lighting. And the editors we have these days are also a lot better than what you had back then (remember jitspoe talking on discord about manually aligning textures in the beginnings of DP).
I have to say it, sorry. Unpopular opinion, but i really had to think about YOUR maps when you mentioned those modern editors and compilers. I think its real irony seeing that you want to overwrite so called %u201Ebad looking%u201C maps with modern fresh looking maps, but you still create one. Basically you create the %u201Eproblem%u201C that you wanna fix or in other words you expect other mappers to put time in maps that should be fixed BUT again CREATE ONE OF THEM. And no, %u201Eim a new mapper%u201C doesnt count. Look at cliffsides, its a great looking map, has an awesome brushwork and IS MADE WITH A MODERN EDITOR. Boogeman did a great job, considering the fact that he is %u201Enew%u201C. Maybe you should start to learn how to use your tools too? Or even switch to other editors, that we have, before starting getting mapfiles overwritten. The fact that Boogeman did it should motivate you to do it too, right? :)
Whoa made a topic about it, you should really read it if you are interested:
https://forums.digitalpaint.org/index.php?topic=28745.0

Superman disappeared because of being too inactive. Whoa and ic3y said they would support this as long as each individual case would be decided about by an accepted group of players. For richard and terrorist I hope that at least one of them will participate in the discussion and support its outcome. I'm sure that map overwriting would logistically possible.
Hoping does not sound promising, eh? Superman is still one of the rare NA admins, whoa is someone who would only keep like 20 maps (infact only because of you he got his 3000 maps back) and ic3y said that he wanna keep his stuff (the last time i spoke with him). Although actually, even if ic3y is down to do it, what is your idea of an accepted group of players? Considering the fact that this game has a ton of different minds, this should be a topic were you basically cant find a consent, right (just the fact that you had to start a discussion about overwriting shows this lmao).

Quote from: Toolwut topic=28760.msg259324#msg259324
So yeah once again, I only want to discuss the idea of improving maps visually and fix bugs (30 point for cap on blitz, spawns facing in the wrong direction on wob, qwitschibo, gp etc.) and overwriting the original files with those better versions. In theory if there are gameplay adjustments the majority agrees are good, those COULD also be added into those refinements. But I wanted this thread to be about overwriting maps with facelifts that keep gameplay but look (visually obviously) more appealing.

Nearly EVERY map has flaws: castle1, airtime, pbcup_pforest, sh33 and so on. And im not talking about only visbugs but ALSO natural so called wallhacks (airtime dark cocker spot e.g.). Fixing all this should be pretty hard, huh.

Also, please, all the stuff you named is putted intentionally there. Infact you even complained about this being fixed in the 1s pbcup:

YOU FIXED THE meddling BLITZ ENT???? how can you fundamentally change something about a map without announcing it big

It indeed is part of the map (who would have thought that), same for wobluda. Also, im pretty sure  qwitschibo, gp are not finished at all, qwitschibo basically is still in alpha (textures, unlit, and mid is incomplete) and you wanna fix the spawns only? Really?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 08:27:56 AM by redguy »