Author Topic: New Map : acastiron (Beta9)  (Read 615 times)

DrNilex

• PGP
New Map : acastiron (Beta9)
« on: March 09, 2022, 06:58:37 PM »
CTF map.
Made with 6-8 players in mind (unsure how accurate this will be though).
Team colors are red and y̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ blue.

Edit: updated the map to beta4
        main focus of this update was changes to the underground path

Edit2: updated the map to beta5
        Only real difference to the main map is that the main path to the low area is now also icy.
        A jail area has been added to the map
Edit3: updated the map to beta6 versions
         beat6_1 is basically the same as beta5 but with added windows on the bridge.
         beat6_2 drastically increased the size of the drop down hole for mid as well as having the same new windows on the bridge.
Edit4: updated the map to beta7
          Added dynamic player count walls
          If you are less than 8 players the low path will not be available
Edit5: updated the map to beta9
          You now spawn with a Stingray in the jail instead of the a Spyder.
          Some visual changes.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 03:28:38 PM by DrNilex »

Toolwut

• Stingray
Re: New Map : acastiron
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 03:25:50 PM »
Visually, I like it a lot! Those 3D skyboxish structures look super cool and I love the yellow base. Maybe you can give the red textures a bit of glow to look similarly.

Wpoly is very high in some places, sometimes unnecessarily. Maybe someone with hint brush skills can give you more constructive advice. Since the lighting is very uniform in many places, you can reduce geometry without anyone really noticing (e.g. the part with the window-like structure). Also, while the bases and the mid area looks very cool, the darker areas like that lower part seem very grey / homogenous.

For parts like the stairs, maybe consider adding a clip brush to make it a ramp, otherwise unpredictable jumps might happen with double jump script.

Also, mechanically less skilled players might find this a very linear experience, as changing pathes most often requires speed jumps or double jumps (at least from my perspective). So depending on your desired target group, maybe add some ladders, ramps with less slope or something similar.

Also, @jitspoe, I got those lines in the console when loading the map (locally). I don't have that clip texture, yet in the past I never saw this when missing a texture.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2022, 11:01:50 PM »
I've been prepping for a convention, so I haven't been able to look at this.  Looks like you're trying to use the HR4 files directly, which is causing all kinds of errors.  You need to use the textures in pball, not pball/hr4.  The game will automatically use the hr4 files if highres textures are enabled.

Map looks really cool, though.  Wish I could play it this weekend. Combine, Clipz or FourthX should be able to load it while I'm gone.

Clipz

• Committee Member
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
We played this a few times today, first was a 2v2 and then a 4v4/5v5.

Maps fun, I really love your attention to detail. The beams over the flag look so cool.

As we spoke about yellow was tough to see with the grass. You said you will change it to blue probably.

Only other things I heard people on discord say that was negative is the double jump to the high back door area from the flag is tough.  I'm not a fan of trick jumps that lead to paths much and I think there may be a better option. Also the mid low seems somewhat awkward. It would be nice if there was an ice jump to get back to the main grass area above otherwise people can just trade flags and never see each other.