Author Topic: Zero-Tolerence Cheat Policy  (Read 8660 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Zero-Tolerence Cheat Policy
« on: November 22, 2004, 05:45:33 PM »
I think it'll be a while before we get everything to the point where we can have another league, but I just wanted to throw this out here.  There are some people cheating right now because the consequences aren't great.  That will change.

First I'll define cheat.  It should be obvious, but some people are not aware that their "tweaks" are cheats.  Simply put, a cheat is anything that gives you an advantage over someone using the standard package.  Examples include:
  • Modified game content for the purpose of enhancing visibility.
    • Removing/replacing map textures with grey textures.
    • Replacing player skins with solid colors.
    • Spiking models.
    • Recompiling maps.
    Modifications such as high-res texture packs, however, are not cheats.
  • Aimbots, proixes or any other things of that nature that improve your "skill"
  • Wallhacks of any kind (anything that allows you to see players through what should be solid structures)
  • Abusing admin powers in order to give you or your team an advantage
  • Cranking up your settings so that you can see in areas that should be pitch black (ie, under the platform on the second floor in midnight).

(last one might be a bit controversial and warrant less strict penalties)

Now, the consequencnes:
If any member of a clan that is participating in the DPL is caught cheating inside or outside of a DPL match, the entire clan will be disqualified.  Simple as that.  If Clan Newbie wins because they were the only ones without cheating members, so be it.  It is the responsibilty of the clan leader(s) to ensure that the members all play by the rules.

As for the cheat detection... that's one of the reasons I mentioned that it might be a while before we're ready for this.  I plan to make it so that future clients will have the capability to upload screenshots and have other verification methods.  This way we can ensure people are not falsely accused of cheating.

loial21

• Autococker
Re: Zero-Tolerence Cheat Policy
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:22:43 PM »
boosting gamma is not kewl
?

Excalibur

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 11:41:58 PM »
what about my computer jit you have seen it some spots are pitch black no joke its called perfect dark its when you cant see a thing not even your hand 2 inch from your face. is making the game a bit brighter a cheat?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
Adjusting your brightness so you can see the parts of the level that are supposed to be seen (but can't on the default settings due to a dark monitor or whatever) isn't a cheat.  What I'm talking about is adjusting the brightness so high that you can easily see in areas you shouldn't be able to (like gl_modulate 999 in quake2).

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 05:13:30 PM »
There Are Plenty Of Different Cheats I Have Heard But Recently I Have Not Seen Anyone Using A Speed/Wall/Aimbot Hack At all...

I WIll Post If Seen Or Demo'd

-Termin8oR

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 09:12:19 PM »
jits i dont know any q2 cmds other than what zimbu was kind enough to write.:(
what does gl mod do ? i just alt/tab and customize my vid settings via desktop  kosher kewl!!!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 10:05:47 PM »
gl_modulate modifies the lightmap brightness -- it's kind of necessary due to how rediculously dark q2 is, but there is no maximum limit.

IronFist

• Autococker
_
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 10:09:46 PM »
Post removed
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:38:29 PM by IronFist »

DrDaPoo

• PGP
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 02:50:26 PM »
Hey Jitspoe cant you have a serverside cheat checking script like what some counterstrike servers use? Granted you wont be able to prevent cheating client side because people will be able to bypass it but if you had a server check the values of known cheats then shouldnt that work?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 03:00:12 PM »
The server has no idea what the client content is currently.  There's no way to check for it on the server side.

Greatzky

• PGP
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2005, 04:19:21 AM »
I'm Definately against cheating and i don't change my brightness, but shoudln't you be allowed to modifiy the game as much as it allows you too  inside the program(not hacking it through source code, but just adjusting int he menus) if the program lets you up the brightness to insane levels then isn't that Part of the game? Just wondering.

-Greatzky

BSoD

• Stingray
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »
gl_modulate modifies the lightmap brightness -- it's kind of necessary due to how rediculously dark q2 is, but there is no maximum limit.

Aka Fullbright hacks are a no, modifying brightness is (or should be) a yes.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 02:44:46 PM by BSoD »