Author Topic: Guide: General BSP stuff I  (Read 105591 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: BSP Editing Tips, aka "How to make a map."
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2006, 12:53:47 PM »
I plan to do this at some point, but I've been pretty busy with other stuff.  Maybe I'll do something after build16 (if that goes smoothly).

Burt_Gummer

• Stingray
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2006, 07:38:27 PM »
A couple quick questions:

How exactly do you change the way the texture is facing on a brush?  If you look in the antiochseige_beta2 map, you will see that on the bridges connecting to the side towers, it kinda has a

\\\\\\\\\\\ texture going across it.  The bridge is angled.  I've checked out the stuff at http://www.gamedesign.net/node/11 but it didn't help much.

Also, was there an official final release of build 15?  All I can find in the /files directory is the build 15 pretest 1.

Matze

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2006, 12:40:09 AM »
Theres never going to be a full release of build 15.

Next version would be Build 16 then.

GreenAffairz

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2006, 08:38:15 AM »
shouldnt you have pb2 in C:\ as well, for me Pb2 went to C:\games automatically, when i moved the bsp editor to C:\ and pb2 it worked

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2006, 02:20:49 PM »
You're supposed to edit the batch files to reflect the install location of paintball2.  I probably should have set up the batch files to default to c:\games\paintball2.

BlingTricka

• PGP
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2006, 06:44:08 PM »
hey, i need some help.. ive made maps for a while now but have never had this problem.. i try to set certain textures on my map as "slick" under "ctrl + s" and they will not stay when i click add contents. I try it on glass texture, which on some other map of mine it works just fine (like ice). and the snowy/marble texture (like in pbcup). this will not work under slick. a map of mine i made also has this as slick. any reasons why it will not work with this map?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2006, 07:35:14 PM »
There are two different types of flags: surface flags and contents flags.  I think slick is a surface flag.

BlingTricka

• PGP
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2006, 08:35:51 PM »
Yeah, I still can't get it to work though.. I click add content after checking the "slick" box under surface and when i hit esc on the keyboard to close off the current selection the once checked box is now unchecked yet again. Why is that?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2006, 01:12:08 AM »
Try "Add Flags" instead of "Add Contents."

dan003400

• PGP
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2006, 12:01:26 AM »
when i click on export then the last one at the botom (high quality) and then it says something like is it ok to save adn i click yes then nuting happens. i have gotton this to work before in the past but all of a sudon it wont work???

why?  jit plezzz help

dan003400

• PGP
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2006, 12:04:06 AM »
all of a sudon it wont let me export ????? when i click on (high quality) then it says is it OK to save i click yeas then nothing happens after that

why????

dan003400

• PGP
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2006, 12:11:15 AM »
can u make your own texture , like what programs open WAl files so that i can edit them???

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2006, 12:56:06 AM »
Your paths probaably aren't set up right.  There's a text file included with the bsp pack that tells you what all you need to edit to set up your directories correctly.  As for wal files, there's a program called wally that can edit them.  You can find it on google or download it here: http://dpball.com/files/mapmaking/  - you also need the .pal file on there.

In the future, please don't make multiple posts in a row.  Use "Modify" instead.

TinMan

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2006, 08:49:35 PM »
You need to have the map saved C:\bsp\quake2\pball\mapfiles\ to compile it I'm pretty sure, otherwise it says it can't find the map.

and jitspoe, I click "Reply with quote" and get
Code: [Select]
An Error Has Occurred!
Unable to load the 'quotefast' template.
Back

edhillbilly

• PGP
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2006, 06:10:51 AM »
wee bit of a problem.... when i try to download step 1, the download goes fine, but when i try to run it... it says something like 'not suitable to run MSDOS..." and so on. so is there another client to use? ANSWER ME!!! PLEEASE!!

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2006, 02:02:24 PM »
Is this after you've unzipped it, or when you're trying to unzip it?  What OS are you running?

Idem

• PGP
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2006, 02:07:14 PM »
hi, i have a couple of q\'s:

• how do i make flags and how do i outline both the base and the actuall capping area? anything different about the white flags?
  • to make windows should i use a couple of different brushes for that wall or just one big one with a chunk cut out of it?  is this what subtracting brushes is about?  if so could someone explain the basics of that then
  • how do i outline the base and cap areas on a seige map, is the cap area just automatically where the defenders are killed?
  • how do i add custom textures to my maps?

thanks to anyone who can answer

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2006, 04:00:58 PM »
- To make flags, just use a "flag" entity.  Use the "teamnumber" key to specify the team.  A teamnumber of 0 will be a white flag.  For the capable area, you need to create a brush then convert it to a "base" entity.  Also use the "teamnumber" key for that.
- Brushes can't be concave, so you have to make a wall with windows out of multiple brushes.
- For siege, put base entities outside of the base.  Defenders who touch it will be killed.  Offense will have to take the flag to the base entities.
- Custom textures are kind of complicated.  A tutorial is probably in order for those.

Note that with base brush entities, they can only be rectangular, not at angles or in odd shapes.  Just the min/max of the brush entity is used.  See the docs page for more info on entities.  It's a bit outdated, but it should help.

Idem

• PGP
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2006, 12:02:58 PM »
thank you jitspoe but i have another question

how do i edit the sun brightness and other properties?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker