Author Topic: jitspoe's .plan  (Read 268059 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: jitspoe's .plan
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2005, 02:24:41 AM »
Bleh, didn't get any of that stuff done -- I worked late, had to deal with some immature players, and worked on the qexpo booth a bit.  And it's almost 4:30am.

SdC.Captin

• VM-68
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2005, 09:54:50 PM »
haha is that you jits and if it is y is your name nathan and call me!

:o

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2005, 01:16:14 PM »
Even though I was at a 28-hour LAN party this weekend, I did manage to get some work done on pb2.  The pong code has been merged, and I did a bit of tweaking to make the ball easier to control.  Hehe, this is going to be nuts.  I'll probably set up a pong-only server on EV1 when I release build 15.  I still need to figure out a way to get the ball to stop getting stuck.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2005, 08:38:18 PM »
Just make it so that if it's not touched for about 30 seconds (or more. One minute?) It resets. That'll be a good enough solution for now.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2005, 09:09:27 PM »
lol, that's the exact "solution" we had at dpcon.  As you can see from the demo, it didn't work.  30 seconds is a long time to keep like 10 people from touching the ball.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2005, 09:12:13 PM »
30 seconds of the ball not moving/not being touched.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »
Getting close.  I fixed the problem with the ball getting stuck for the most part.  As a side effect, I also fixed the problem with grenades falling out of the level.

Mr.Cygnus

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2005, 10:37:46 PM »
YES ready to be realeased jit?

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2005, 12:31:18 AM »
Ello  Johnny

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2005, 07:36:34 PM »
Haven't updated my ".plan" in a while.

I've been struggling with Linux lately.  It seems my Debian install is completely hosed now.  Before it was just the video that didn't work.  I was at least able to compile... or try to compile... but when I updated, again, not only did it not fix the video drivers, but it apparently uninstalled a bunch of XFree86 development stuff, so I'm missing a bunch of headers and crap and can't even get PB2 to compile on Linux anymore.  And now it just locks up when I boot.

I hate linux. I really do.

In other news, I've been researching ways to put some awesome 3D audio in Paintball2.  Meh.  My results have been a little disappointing.  It seems all the cool advancements in 3D audio came and went about 6 years ago.  Now all that's left is Creative's cheesy reverb effects.

Aureal had some cool wavetracing technology where you'd actually upload geometry to the sound card and soundwaves would bounce off of it.  Creative's EAX just lets you apply echo effects to sounds.  I checked out their EAGLE editor that lets you play around with the reverb parameters, but I was rather disappointed overall.  So I ordered myself a couple Aureal cards off of ebay to see how they compare.  Sadly they never really finished the windows XP drivers, and I have no intention of touching Win98, so it may be a lost cause.

Oh, and the other problem with Creative is that their drivers eat up insane amounts of CPU, whereas Aureal uses almost none.

Meh, I guess before I get into all that, I need to fix up the stuff that's wrong with build 15 and get a solid build 16 out.  I also need to get linux fixed so I can get a linux build out.  I think I'll try SUSE this time.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2005, 08:13:00 PM »
Okay, my sound card AUTOMATICALLY added 3d sound to QUAKE 1 AND 2! It's a great thing, but WHY?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2005, 05:53:07 PM »
What sound card do you have?  I don't think that's possible without having an updated quake/quake2 executable since quake/quake2 do their own sound mixing.

Also, what are you asking why about -- why it's a great thing?  Why it added automatically?

Anyway, I spent all night last night (pretty much literally) trying to get linux to work.  I made progress.  I even compiled a new kernel, but still no go for xwindows.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2005, 06:00:43 PM »
I have no clue what my sound card does, but I seriously have 3d sound in quake 1. Funny.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2005, 01:31:11 PM »
What card is it?

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
I'll look when I get home. But it's really cool. The 3D sound, that is. It made me confused when jits tried to implement 3D sound into pball, heh.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2005, 11:11:44 AM »
Well, I got linux working properly again, finally.  All this time the only thing that was wrong was that it wasn't loading the module for my mouse.  Apparently xwindows doesn't even start if you don't have a mouse.

Build 15 compiles and runs (after some tweaking - gcc4 is insanely picky).  Hopefully the bug with a second person connecting causing the server to crash is gone.  I think that was just a bug from an improper compile.

I'm thinking of reworking the sound system to be more modular, like the rendering system, so it's easy to plug in different sound technologies and more cross-platform compatible.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2005, 11:28:51 AM »
Are you compiling the linux builds with the Makefile provided in the src zips?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2005, 12:43:18 PM »
Should be the makefile in the linux directory of the source zip.

It turns out somebody made an SDL build of the linux version (and never told me!), so I'm going to grab his code and give that a go.  Perhaps that will fix some of the issues people are having.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2005, 01:29:40 PM »
Ahh, I was having the hardest time trying to compile it from /

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2005, 11:27:41 AM »
I was getting errors along the lines of "Could not find debugi386/a3d/..a3d.o"