Author Topic: Build 33  (Read 32054 times)

prozajik

• Autococker
Re: Build 33
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »
So as for today i am depositing with 2 more "bugs". Not sure if they are bugs or not just have a look at it ;)

bug4 - I thought that sliding over 45 degrees was fixed?

bug5 - Should it be like that? Notice that I didn't press jump

Riddick

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2011, 08:44:20 PM »
whens this getting released so it will actually be on servers other then our own private servers :)

Toxiic

• Autococker
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2011, 10:55:26 AM »
yes ikr :P

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2011, 12:52:24 PM »
So I was toying around with bsp today seeing what kind of new jumps are possible, and this one came up that is pretty obvious but could have some pretty crazy cool effects in new maps build for this physics. Check out the attached map and pic.

Using something like this with the ceiling very low you could have people float over the tops of things and create a whole new style of routes.

Try the circle jump up top with and without the new physics, (use oldmovephysics 0/1) and see what you think.

prozajik

• Autococker
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »
So I was toying around with bsp today seeing what kind of new jumps are possible, and this one came up that is pretty obvious but could have some pretty crazy cool effects in new maps build for this physics. Check out the attached map and pic.

Using something like this with the ceiling very low you could have people float over the tops of things and create a whole new style of routes.

Try the circle jump up top with and without the new physics, (use oldmovephysics 0/1) and see what you think.

Wouldnt it be easier to just make the ceiling higher? :P
But i have to admit that with new physics you can make cooler jumps, for example in this map you can triple jump there ;), that wouldnt be possible with the old physics.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »
Wouldnt it be easier to just make the ceiling higher? :P
But i have to admit that with new physics you can make cooler jumps, for example in this map you can triple jump there ;), that wouldnt be possible with the old physics.

Ah I meant to say triple jump to it and cj... total fail on my part haha. But my point was that maps could be much smaller (lower r_speeds, less lag) and still have some pretty cool jumps that lag out for some people right now due to high ceiling etc

T3RR0R15T

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2011, 04:22:14 PM »
@ jitspoe: Any updates (pretest2, linux) ?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2011, 11:35:28 PM »
Sadly, I've had like 0 time.  We've been in hardcore crunch mode at work.  It's after 12am now.  I just got home.

Pretest2 will likely just include the new gamex86 and serverbrowser.  I'd like to avoid changing the exe if possible.  I don't have time to test the changes in the CVS, so they'll get put in the next build.  I'll probably add a separate skyglide setting in the next build as well.  It seems there's only 1 or 2 maps this affects negatively.  Worst case, they can be rebuilt with clip brushes blocking the sky.

I haven't even tried to compile the Linux build yet.  Hopefully there aren't a bunch of headaches in store.

yossarianuk

• VM-68
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2011, 01:03:11 PM »
Feel free to msg me if you have linux issues (i remember you had some sort of 32 lib issue previously...)

I'm just looking forward to having a later version than 0.30 ...

Btw : What is the policy regarding some servers sometimes not letting you into a server because you have an old version ?

It seems slightly random, sometimes I'll get the msg about not having latest version a couple of times, then i'm allowed in. Other times it will try for seemingly ever and never let me in...

(I'm using Linux build 0.30 as 0.31+ crashes for me (hopefully fixed in 0.33.)

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:21 PM »
horrible, im quitting if this comes out

shockwave

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:48 PM »
it's like adding a boost for noobs who can't get air, like adding 2 extra back wheels on a bike to keep balance.

coLa

• Autococker
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »
So this update is right up your alley.

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »
this is where my old question comes in... oldmovephysics 1. Will it be able to be used when the servers are updated? that way on maps where the jumps need to be precise, we can still make them and not fly and hit the invisible ceiling.

I kinda was given two answers, one: it will be server side (of course) but what about servers that leave it on, will we be able to override it with the command?

two: it will be usable like how it was for b22.

the worry then is having different players having two different movement physics at the same time. i don't think its possible?

so i hate to say it... either 1) the maps will need to be reconstructed

2) new maps need to be made, and new maps aren't being made as much as they were before so i doubt someone will be up to the task of making enough maps for a rotation.

Or  3) these new physics should be tweaked or not employed at all.

of course if i was a newcomer to this game, and didn't know anything was different it wouldn't be a problem. so i guess people will just have to deal. But like shock, i don't think many people will be willing to do so.

Edit: People had problems when the ball speed changed, so we just aimed a little higher. this change however is drastic, it will change the way we play all together.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:02:31 PM by Foxhound »

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2011, 10:48:54 PM »
Good example of new physics having a noticeable effect.

Insane speed boost on 2fort5. Easy to reproduce. Demo attached.

zzz.....hibernation...zzzz

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2011, 11:05:20 PM »
I kind of like this one but it deffinitley is something you couldn't do before.

Ace

• Autococker
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2011, 01:38:21 AM »
I think the amount of change this will have is more minimal than people are trying to put on, myself included. The amount of times that something drastic changes is really pretty small. All the cases that have been brought up are usually pretty particular to maps and really don't change the overall that much.

The problem I have is why this was needed. The game was good as it was, and really didn't need any new changes. meh

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2011, 02:41:58 AM »
its more or less speeding up and over ramps. you gain so much more height and speed. i find myself hitting my head on the maps.

MarawaNa

• VM-68
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:57 AM »
Yeah, and if Foxhound gets to much air, imagine what actual good players would get?

joonas

• VM-68
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »
I think that it would be better if the players would always skip down on slopes (except on icy slopes). Going underground in propaint1 is annoying now because when you hit the slope before the ice, you'll lose all your speed, and jumping there just doesn't feel right.

Another potential way to fix it would be by adjusting the friction so that you deaccelerate less when going downhill, but I don't know what kind of an effect this would have on the game. edit: You'd also have to make turning on slopes harder so that people aren't able to slingshot everywhere from them, if you were to lower the friction I mean. edit2: ..I guess it would be very troublesome and self defeating to make it work through this method.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:05:14 PM by joonas »

Foxhound

• Autococker
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 02:21:28 PM »
Yeah, and if Foxhound gets to much air, imagine what actual good players would get?

right on!