Digital Paint Discussion Board
Paintball 2: The Game => Help and Support => Topic started by: {appy Hamper on November 04, 2007, 10:28:35 PM
-
Anybody know how to set up a game with a direct cable between 2 computers? I've tried a few different things, but I know it's possible with a cat5 crossover cable. I also am thinking that vista is difficult to connect wth XP.
hit me with some knowledge...
-
yes you can buy why would you do it?
By using a cross over cable, you have to assign an ip address to each computer.
What game are you trying to play?
-
Just go out and get a cheap router to play LAN games on.
-
Just go out and get a cheap router to play LAN games on.
I knew I could probably do that, but I already had the cable.
yes you can buy why would you do it?
By using a cross over cable, you have to assign an ip address to each computer.
What game are you trying to play?
Ok so static IP's are all I need? I'm trying to get anything to work right now, but DP2, starcraft or warcraft is usually the top of the list.
starcraft is a real pain because to have run through IPX which vista didn't come with.
-
Doesn't Starcraft have a patch that adds TCP/IP support?
-
WTF kind of game uses only IPX/SPX?!?!
-
d00m
-
Doesn't Starcraft have a patch that adds TCP/IP support?
no it requires you to set the connection to IPX (which vista didn't include in the install list). and to answer KnacK, d00m and starcraft are both made by Blizzard, and both require that setting. I believe they fixed that for Warcraft 3 though.
_______________________________________
I have a new problem now however. Since my last attempt at that, somehow the password got changed for my user on my PC. Now I can't even log into windows. I even tried booting in safe mode, but that still requires a password. Anybody have ideas on that one??
-
did you try an empty password?
Or did someone else set a password?
-
...d00m and starcraft are both made by Blizzard...
what
And Starcraft supports TCP, as of one of the earliest patches. There wasn't anything to 'fix' in warcraft 3. :P
-
And Starcraft supports TCP, as of one of the earliest patches.
That's what I thought. I know that it was either Warcraft II or Starcraft that got a patch for TCP/IP. I am pretty sure it was not Warcraft II though because a separate "multiplayer version" was released.
On another note, I used to play multiplayer Doom over TCP/IP with ZDoom. It is effing scary that it is still being updated (http://zdoom.org) though.
(Psst. id software, not Blizzard Entertainment, made DOOM. Learn your history.)
-
...so I stand multiply corrected. :-X I believe you if you say starcraft supports TCP/IP, I just know that the in-game create LAN game menu says that it needs to be set to IPX. So that's all I know how to do. I'll check that maybe on a starcraft forum or something.
did you try an empty password?
Or did someone else set a password?
I'm pretty sure I did try that, but I'll make sure later...
I know nobody else has messed with it, because I'm the only user, and there's no internet connection for someone to hack.
-
...so I stand multiply corrected. :-X I believe you if you say starcraft supports TCP/IP, I just know that the in-game create LAN game menu says that it needs to be set to IPX. So that's all I know how to do. I'll check that maybe on a starcraft forum or something.
You need to get the latest patch.
-
Okay, new question: How does one even set up a LAN with only two computers and an ethernet cable?
-
Okay, new question: How does one even set up a LAN with only two computers and an ethernet cable?
Cross-over cable (the yellow one).
-
And will the computers themselves set up the network automatically? I was kinda more talking about the software side of things. :)
-
And will the computers themselves set up the network automatically? I was kinda more talking about the software side of things. :)
Oh. They should. At least, XP and Vista should.
-
XP to XP worked fine for me. However Vista to XP was not so successful. You also need to set a static IP if I'm not mistaken.
-
I have a new problem now however. Since my last attempt at that, somehow the password got changed for my user on my PC. Now I can't even log into windows. I even tried booting in safe mode, but that still requires a password. Anybody have ideas on that one??
the current hard drive is (brace yourself) about 12 gig. Would it work to set that one to slave, and re-install Windows on a new (and of course bigger) hard drive? -more clearly- would I be able to access the old saved files etc?
-
Yes that will work.
You can set the drive to slave and make sure the new one is set to master and you will be all set.
Now, a few other things:
Not all crossover cables are yellow. In fact there really isn't a color based standard for that.
If you go pc to pc with a crossover cable, you wil lhave to manually configure ip address and host mask setings on each pc.
For example:
pc 1:
ip address: 192.68.1.1
hm: 255.255.255.0
pc 2:
ip address 192.68.1.2
hm: 255.255.255.0
Make sure the firewall is off on both pc's. Enable basic file sharing. Reboot both pc once the settigns are configured and the cable connected.
-
I knew it was too simple to be true....