Digital Paint Discussion Board

Paintball 2: The Game => Help and Support => Topic started by: Edgecrusher on November 11, 2007, 04:13:42 PM

Title: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 11, 2007, 04:13:42 PM
Last 2-3 days I am really laggy on all servers, both EU and USA.

My ping is normal, but I lagg every few seconds, really hard, nor can I jump or aim.

So if someone had similar experience, I would be very grateful for any kind of advice.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Eiii on November 11, 2007, 04:31:14 PM
That's your packets dropping. If you're on a wireless connection, make sure you have a really strong one. If You're wired, then either something is hogging your bandwidth big-time, or your ISP is having some issues.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 11, 2007, 04:38:56 PM
So I must call either my provider, or somebody is on my connection?
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 12, 2007, 05:00:09 AM
Hopefully I'll soon change my internet provider.

This lagg is killing me.

Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: jitspoe on November 12, 2007, 09:33:22 PM
Type "netgraph 1" at the console.  If there are a bunch of black lines, that means you have packet loss.  Also check your cl_cmdrate setting.  It should be around 60.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 13, 2007, 01:31:37 PM
Ok I checked cl_cmdrate, it' s straight 60

I also checked netgraph. It's hard for me to read it, I mean I don't know is it normal or what, so i demoed it.

Also i emailed my provider, no response...

Edited:

This is screen shot that show my netgraph, on the demo you can see what kind of lagg it is:

Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: KnacK on November 13, 2007, 01:52:43 PM
that's a great looking netgraph.  You might be experiencing hardware lag of some sorts....
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 13, 2007, 01:57:08 PM
Yeah but I'm on 381 fps, almost never drops belove 200.

And you can see on the demo that I lagg horribly.

How can I see if someone is also using my wireless connection?

And what more can I do with my router (I restarted it several times)?
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Sonny on November 13, 2007, 02:10:29 PM
I think i got the same problem or some think like that. I have a lag every 30seconds. I got the problem since I got a new computer with a WLAN Card. Before i used a WLAN Card i used a WLAN usb stick and it dont lags. Maybe my dsl 1000 is too bad for pb.
Here some screens of the netgraph:

(http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6713/sshot018nh8.jpg) (http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6713/sshot018nh8.jpg)

(http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7598/sshot019lo3.jpg) (http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7598/sshot019lo3.jpg)

Here is a demo of my lags:
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 13, 2007, 02:18:54 PM
Yeah Sonny lags as hell every match, but I didn't changed my w card. It started about 5 days ago for no reason.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Sonny on November 13, 2007, 03:49:37 PM
QeHs - ThE lAgGeRz^^

With my old comp. i have only 30-50fps and 10-30pps. And now 400-550fps and 60-70pps. Maybe my internet can't load this. Waht's the command to set the max pps?
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: lekky on November 13, 2007, 04:04:28 PM
Might be a temp issue with your isp's, especially if your pr0n folder just doubled...
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: KiLo on November 13, 2007, 04:25:00 PM
Edgy as far as your router goes. I would suggest that you secure it. By that I mean use WEP or WPA (preferably WPA since it's more secure). Also you may want to look into allowing MAC addresses for only the computers that you know.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Herron on November 13, 2007, 06:47:17 PM
did you change your config recently? make sure you have the following commands set:

cl_predict 1
cl_nodelta 0
cl_locknetfps 0
cl_sleep 0
noudp 0
noipx 1

also, i'd suggest:
rate 10000

you should also run a virus scan to make sure you don't have a worm using up your bandwidth. 

if you don't have a virus scanner:
1.  close all of your torrents, internet browsers, and ideally any ad-sponsored chat programs
2.  wait 10 minutes
3.  go to Start->Run and type: cmd
4.  in the command window that pops up, type: netstat -ao

if you see a whole lot of connections from domains you don't recognize (especially with ones starting with mail.* or smtp.*) you probably have a worm.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: magalhaes on November 13, 2007, 06:52:33 PM
Make sure this is happening and its not just an excuse.
:]
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: jitspoe on November 13, 2007, 09:14:05 PM
I don't see any black lines or spikes on your netgraph (except at the start, which is normal).  Also, there was no lag in the demo.  Did you watch the demo after you recorded it?  If the demo was lagging, then it's definitely a hardware issue.  Make sure you don't have any processes running in the background eating up all of your CPU.  Virus scanners and software firewalls can cause this, too.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: y00tz on November 14, 2007, 12:15:50 AM
Edge, I know it's obvious but I'll check anyway - you're not by any chance trying to play sober, right?

:D
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 14, 2007, 02:56:23 AM
Let me try to response to all of you, and also thank you for trying to help me:
did you change your config recently? make sure you have the following commands set:

cl_predict 1
cl_nodelta 0
cl_locknetfps 0
cl_sleep 0
noudp 0
noipx 1

also, I'd suggest:
rate 10000

you should also run a virus scan to make sure you don't have a worm using up your bandwidth. 

if you don't have a virus scanner:
1.  close all of your torrents, internet browsers, and ideally any ad-sponsored chat programs
2.  wait 10 minutes
3.  go to Start->Run and type: cmd
4.  in the command window that pops up, type: netstat -ao

if you see a whole lot of connections from domains you don't recognize (especially with ones starting with mail.* or smtp.*) you probably have a worm.

Yeah I've run virus check - nothing detected. I will also try it through cmd command.

I didn't messed with my config, but also will input all of the commands just OT be sure.

I don't see any black lines or spikes on your netgraph (except at the start, which is normal).  Also, there was no lag in the demo.  Did you watch the demo after you recorded it?  If the demo was lagging, then it's definitely a hardware issue.  Make sure you don't have any processes running in the background eating up all of your CPU.  Virus scanners and software firewalls can cause this, too.

There's no lagg on the demo? When I played it, it was lagging, so it could be hardware issue, but then why HL2, and source doesn't lagg? Must check deeper into it.

Edge, I know it's obvious but I'll check anyway - you're not by any chance trying to play sober, right?

:D

Never ;)

Make sure this is happening and its not just an excuse.
:]

Def1netly (aka Magalhahahaes) I've putted your comment last just to say LOL.

Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Sonny on November 14, 2007, 06:32:17 AM
I think I make a new post for my problem.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 14, 2007, 11:58:40 AM
Ok, updated now:

Did what Herron told me - no help

Run few more antivirus programs - nothing founded

So, now I believe Jitspoe was right - it's probably some hardware issue.

Now I'm sorry but i seek further help because I'm clueless what causes this lag. I cleaned up my comp with ccleaner.

I'll try to describe the lagg - during the play, every few seconds my picture freezes, can't move, than I found myself on a totally different place. Funny thing is: when I replayed the demo i uploaded here, it lagged, but my other demoes don't lagg.

Any idea?

Edit: other players can't see me lagging
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: magalhaes on November 14, 2007, 12:19:11 PM
"other players can't see me lagging"
Bahahahaha
Definitely an excuse.
=]
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: flip on November 14, 2007, 12:20:04 PM
One thing I have noticed is there has been an increase in general lag for quite a few players. I think I notice it start about a week ago. I know I normally don't lag at all but as of late I have been and so has a few members of InT.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 14, 2007, 12:26:07 PM
Mag as you can see I'm quite frustrated by this, because I can't play the game normally. So, if you don't have any comments regarding of resolving my problem, stop posting here.

I'll try to reinstall the game.

Edit: reinstallation did't helped me.

I'm out of options :(

I don't get lagg from any other game.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 14, 2007, 03:08:11 PM
Ok, I just found out 1 thing. I downloaded a program to see my computer usage, and I saw that when i lagg spike while playing my CPU usage goes through the roof!

Now, if someone could please tell me if they know possible reason why is that happening, and how to resolve it?
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: KnacK on November 14, 2007, 03:26:01 PM
DO this:

Set up perfmon to view and record your processes while playing .  Look for the spike and see what process is doing it.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: XtremeBain on November 14, 2007, 03:27:25 PM
Did you recently update your video card drivers, that may be causing this.  On the other side of things, updating your video drivers may also solve it.

Would there be any programs on your system which may be monitoring paintball2.exe in the background (buffer overrun protection in an antivirus program, aggressive firewall)?

I'm leaning towards the lag being caused by a sound card/driver, or video card/driver problem, though.

Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 14, 2007, 03:45:27 PM
Hm, I've spent about 6-7 hours today trying to resolve this. Now I think I've found my problem:

I've run Task Manager, the problem is here I think (Trojan):

Scrigz.exe

Now, next thing I must do is somehow to remove it (god it'll take me all night).

Edit: sorry Knack didn't see your post recommending me to do what I did.

<3 :)
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 14, 2007, 07:30:53 PM
Well, after over 12 hours of trying to battle this thing, I surrender. Downloaded 6 Virus scanners, read I don't know how many pages about this thing, eliminated few viruses not connected to this one, but now, I just don't know what to do, and I'm to big of a noob to remove it manually. Just don't know how. It's quite frustrating actually, to know where the problem is and that you know that you cannot do anything to solve it (found a page where it says what to do to remove it manually, but I', to dumb to know what to do at certain points).

Now, I'll try with last one of Virus scanners and thats it.

And btw, this thing attached also on my IRC, I removed it now, but I suggest for any of you to run a VS (wow, sounds like I had an epiphany).


Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Spook on November 14, 2007, 07:42:48 PM
Try 2 more if you haven't already.

Spybot Search & Destroy
McAfee
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: jitspoe on November 14, 2007, 09:01:48 PM
Have you tried adaware?  Lavasoft.com.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: cusoman on November 14, 2007, 10:07:41 PM
This may sound dumb but i had a few "mysterious" programs once and until i figured out how to get rid of them i just ended them in the tasklist.  when u finally get annoyed constantly ending them and choose to delete them for good, the way i got rid of them is using a deletion program called DeleteDr. (Delete Doctor) and it took out those exe's easy.  if you don't know where the trojan is just use the windows search feature to find where they are nesting themselves and try all 3 of DeleteDr's deleting processes, then restart your comp, and see if the viruses are still there. if they are, well, i don't know what to tell you. Hope this helps,
http://www.download3k.com/Delete-Doctor/Download-Free-deletedr.exe.html
-Cusoman
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: KnacK on November 15, 2007, 08:02:13 AM
For starters, always run anti virus and spyware scanners in safe mode when trying to erradicate a known infestation.

ALso: msconfig is your friend.  Open it up and see if it's starting that program on system startup.
Title: Re: Lagg issues
Post by: Edgecrusher on November 15, 2007, 10:18:20 AM
OK, so what I have done:

After another few hours of downloading different virus scanners and Trojan hunters, I've tried to simplify my way.
Went into system32 folder where Trojan lived, dragged it out and dropped on my desktop. After that I made it read-only and applied it. What happened? When i turned my wlan on again, that file tried to access the Internet, and avast! finally recognized it as malicious program, so I managed to put it into quarantine.

So now I don't have any lagg spike issues or CPU overpowering, and also I downloaded new ZoneAlarm so everything is back to normal (at least I hope).

Final thing to do is to clear rest of contaminated files.

I'd like to say thank you to all who tried to help me, your advices have been really helpfull, so again thank you.