Digital Paint Discussion Board

Paintball 2: The Game => Help and Support => Topic started by: DaRkNeSS on January 12, 2008, 08:29:28 PM

Title: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: DaRkNeSS on January 12, 2008, 08:29:28 PM
So I switched over to Ubuntu, and when I load DP I get like 10 fps.  Any ideas what's wrong?
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: Cobo on January 12, 2008, 08:42:23 PM
Did you install your video card drivers?
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: lekky on January 12, 2008, 09:03:20 PM
Also DP's patheticness running under Linux stopped me switching over permanently.
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: DaRkNeSS on January 12, 2008, 09:19:20 PM
No Cobo, I think it automatically did for me.
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: Zorchenhimer on January 13, 2008, 12:31:36 AM
You need to manually enable your vid card drivers in System > Administrator > Restricted Drivers Manager.
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: DaRkNeSS on January 13, 2008, 12:59:24 AM
Yeah I'm using an older version of Ubuntu (6.06.1) and I don't see that option Zorch.
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: Zorchenhimer on January 13, 2008, 01:06:35 AM
Upgrade.  :P
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: iEATnoobs on January 13, 2008, 08:58:51 AM
Yea same thing happens to me on my laptop. Xp>ubuntu
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: Cobo on January 13, 2008, 05:06:18 PM
more like *>ubuntu.
At least when it comes down to installing drivers anyway...
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: Eiii on January 13, 2008, 05:29:13 PM
I didn't have any problems. ;D
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: lekky on January 13, 2008, 05:31:08 PM
To be fair, it installed my drivers automatically, or at least only asked me to type my password so it could install them for me..

I can't play dp on it due to login time/tinny sounds/scoreboard bug
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: yossarianuk on January 15, 2008, 02:36:03 PM
Although the linux client does have issues the speed is certainly not one of them (for nvidia owners anyway)

I get between 500-900 fps generally - geforce 8500.

Ubuntu is lame - it is really hassle to install the 'normal' nvidia driver from nvidia.com due to the restricted drivers crap - which is the cause of many problems.

If you want an easy life try mandriva - Nvidia/ATI drivers installed by default - if you can handle a bit of a flaky package manager try opensuse 10.3 - its a much better desktop.
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: DaRkNeSS on January 15, 2008, 05:33:46 PM
Nah if you're have problems installing the driver in Restricted Drivers Manager, I'm guessing all you need to do is goto System -> Administration -> Software Sources and make sure you have the boxes checked to download from Main, Universe, Restricted, Multiverse and Source Code.  Then you just need to enable the card in the Restricted Drivers Manager.
Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: yossarianuk on January 15, 2008, 05:53:42 PM
I do not use the driver in apt-get I use the binary from www.nvidia.com

This means that you have the latest driver - present 169.07 rather than the version in the Ubuntu repo - 100.14.19

The latest one has improvements for 8000 series cards.

The trick is to remove completely the Ubuntu version then prevent  restricted modules trying to load the driver.

Anyone interested see -  http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

Title: Re: DP on Ubuntu
Post by: vLaD on February 11, 2010, 04:32:03 PM
revive an old thread since we on the subject of Ubuntu. with build 26 i run the game but i get no sound any reason 4 that? btw its x64. i swapped over completely