Digital Paint Discussion Board
Paintball 2: The Game => Help and Support => Topic started by: DaRkNeSS on January 15, 2008, 01:11:15 AM
-
I copied my map folder from XP over to my map folder on Ubuntu, but every server makes me redownload the map. Why is that?
-
I'd put my money on checksum difference from Windows to Linux.
-
I'd put my money on checksum difference from Windows to Linux.
Didn't happen to me. What version of Ubuntu are you running?
-
If you play with a map that has already been re-downloaded, does it try to download again?
And how did you copy the files?
-
Ubuntu 7.10
I put my maps on a flash drive before I switched to Ubuntu. Then I put em in my maps folder once I had the linux build.
-
If I download the map from dplogin and then put it in my maps folder it works fine. Why won't the maps that I copied on my flash drive work?
-
Because the file got slightly changed either when being written to the flash drive, or while being read from the flash drive.
Unix and Windows bump heads when it comes to text files because of the way that each OS handles new lines. This is only supposed to apply to text files, but if a map is being interpreted as a text file when it's really a binary file and the conversion is still being done somewhere then it would essentially corrupt the map. I just copied my entire map folder from Linux->Windows no problems, and I've done the other direction a few times without problems. I've never tried it with a flash drive, though.
-
A flash drive just uses a regular filesystem though? I don't understand why any flash drive would ever copy any file as text vs. binary, because who knows what you would destroy.
-
A flash drive just uses a regular filesystem though? I don't understand why any flash drive would ever copy any file as text vs. binary, because who knows what you would destroy.
Not the flash drive, the OS.
-
I thought Windows (and all major OSes) copied files only as if they were binary. I know file open calls can have a binary flag, but doesn't this only affect the program opening the file?
-
Map files are handled as binary on both systems, so that shouldn't be an issue.
-
So anything I can do to fix this error? Or will I just need to redownload all the maps?
-
Zip maps, copy ZIP, unzip.