Digital Paint Discussion Board

Paintball 2: The Game => Server Discussion => Topic started by: KiLo on January 30, 2008, 01:34:23 PM

Title: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KiLo on January 30, 2008, 01:34:23 PM
Although I appreciate you putting servers up could you please do something about them. I mean that I ping about the same to your servers as I do to a euro server.
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: XtremeBain on January 30, 2008, 01:36:17 PM
Give us a traceroute at least...
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KiLo on January 30, 2008, 01:47:16 PM
Tracing route to . [69.153.214.246]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  192.168.1.1
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    77 ms    22 ms    17 ms  172.31.34.221
  4   122 ms    16 ms    18 ms  12.118.224.77
  5    44 ms    40 ms    42 ms  tbr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.123.210.17]
  6    37 ms    40 ms    97 ms  cr2.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.17.237]
  7    43 ms    38 ms    40 ms  cr2.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.2.22]
  8    83 ms    43 ms    43 ms  tbr2.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.18.126]
  9    43 ms   155 ms    47 ms  tbr1.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.9.141]
 10    44 ms    43 ms    41 ms  tbr2.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.10.90]
 11   124 ms    44 ms    53 ms  ar5.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.123.16.221]
 12   132 ms    44 ms    51 ms  12.122.79.70
 13    48 ms    60 ms    52 ms  151.164.41.199
 14    93 ms    50 ms    50 ms  ded2-g1-3-0.hstntx.sbcglobal.net [151.164.241.10
3]
 15    52 ms    65 ms   105 ms  Optiquest-Internet-1147376.cust-rtr.swbell.net [
70.242.19.246]
 16    54 ms   149 ms    63 ms  mail.teli.com [216.61.144.9]
 17   162 ms    56 ms    67 ms  216.63.70.202
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Doesn't that look sexy?
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: y00tz on January 30, 2008, 01:48:45 PM
att.net as well...  I was getting terrible lag on GT during Back2Back the other night with only 4 people on, weird.
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KnacK on January 30, 2008, 02:54:14 PM
Code: [Select]
Hop T1 T2 T3 Best Graph IP Hostname Dist TTL Ctry Time
1 0 * * 0.6 ms     
 74.53.59.130 AS0
IANA-RSVD-0  82.3b.354a.static.theplanet.com.   255 US Unix: 19:51:57.582
2 0 0 * 0.6 ms [+0ms]     
 12.96.160.42 AS21844
THEPLANET-AS  vl2.dsr02.dllstx2.theplanet.com.  0 miles [+0]  254 US Unix: 19:51:10.503
3 0 0 * 0.7 ms [+0ms]     
 70.87.253.121 AS21844
THEPLANET-AS  79.fd.5746.static.theplanet.com.  0 miles [+0]  253 US Unix: 19:52:04.108
4 1 0 * 0.7 ms [+0ms]     
 70.87.253.29 AS21844
THEPLANET-AS  et5-2.ibr04.dllstx3.theplanet.com.  0 miles [+0]  61 US [Router did not respond]
5 1 1 * 0.9 ms [+0ms]     
 64.208.170.197 AS3549
GBLX  gigabitethernet7-3.ar2.dal2.gblx.net.  0 miles [+0]  251 US Unix: 19:52:04.272
6 124 * * 0.9 ms [+0ms]     
 67.16.129.118 AS3549
GBLX  te2-1-10g.ar3.dal2.gblx.net.  0 miles [+0]  250 US Unix: 19:52:04.638
7 0 1 * 0.9 ms [+0ms]     
 151.164.251.161 AS7132
SBIS-AS  unknown.swbell.net  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]  249 US Unix: 19:52:04.317
8 7 8 * 7.7 ms [+6ms]     
 151.164.41.199 AS7132
SBIS-AS  unknown.swbell.net  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]  243 US [Router did not respond]
9 7 7 * 7.8 ms [+0ms]     
 151.164.241.103 AS7132
SBIS-AS  ded2-g1-3-0.hstntx.sbcglobal.net.  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]  242 US [Router did not respond]
10 12 18 * 12 ms [+4ms]     
 70.242.19.246 AS7132
SBIS-AS  optiquest-internet-1147376.cust-rtr.swbell.net.  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]  242 US Unknown: 810fae80
11 30 15 * 15 ms [+3ms]     
 216.61.144.9 AS7132
SBIS-AS  mail.teli.com.  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]  242 US Unknown: 83d3bcbc
12 35 39 * 35 ms [+19ms]     
 216.63.70.202 AS7132
SBIS-AS  unknown.optiquest.net  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]  242 US Unknown: 800bc160
13 * * * 99999 ms [+99999ms]     
 [Unknown] [Unknown - Firewall did not respond]  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]       
14 * * * 99999 ms [+0ms]     
 [Unknown] [Unknown - Firewall did not respond]  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]       
15 * * * 99999 ms [+0ms]     
 [Unknown] [Unknown - Firewall did not respond]  -1 miles [+0] 0 miles [+0]       
16 * * * 99999 ms [+0ms]     
 [Unknown] [Unknown - Firewall did not respond]
[4 hops with no response:
assuming we hit a firewall
that blocks pings]  -1 miles [+0]   

I will tell you that the past 2 days we have had heavy internet traffic here running our video conferencing system.

Also looks like my isp, Optiquest, is blocking inbound ICMP packets.
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: Justinph5 on January 30, 2008, 03:59:55 PM
Whenever someone is downloading a map (atleast on InT's) everyone's ping jumps to the 300-400s... once the person is done downloading though it goes back to normal... We do get weird pings on there sometimes for some reason...
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KnacK on January 30, 2008, 05:03:14 PM
Whenever someone is downloading a map (atleast on InT's) everyone's ping jumps to the 300-400s... once the person is done downloading though it goes back to normal... We do get weird pings on there sometimes for some reason...


I've been seeing that.  So the downloading on top of my unusually high network traffic is causing an issue.

Since the downlaod speed is now adjustable, could someone share the parameters to slow it down a bit?
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: sk89q on January 30, 2008, 05:07:44 PM
It's on the front page. I would link to my site, but my server is dead(-ish) =(
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KnacK on January 30, 2008, 05:20:22 PM
I SAW THAT!!!!!!

What happened?
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KnacK on January 30, 2008, 06:02:43 PM
OK
FOr the time being until I get my additional T1 installed, I have disabled fast downloads on all of the servers here ( 4 of them)

Let's see how that works out.
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: sk89q on January 30, 2008, 09:30:45 PM
What happened?

Not sure yet. My friend was checking it out and he saw a run-away Perl process, but he had to leave. I had to leave soon after too...

You can see the effect of the downtime(s) on the pub stats graph:

(http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/5426/serversgraphdn1.png) :P
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KnacK on January 30, 2008, 09:46:07 PM
Are you runing MRTG for that?
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: sk89q on January 31, 2008, 12:18:30 AM
For what? Either way, it's no. :)

EDIT:

Look! It's specks!

(http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6718/serversgraphwy2.png)
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: jitspoe on February 01, 2008, 02:08:43 AM
I think it would be better to just cap the download speeds rather than disable the fast file downloads.  The old download system sucked. :P
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: m7feettall on February 01, 2008, 08:10:08 AM
OK
FOr the time being until I get my additional T1 installed, I have disabled fast downloads on all of the servers here ( 4 of them)

Let's see how that works out.

Whatever you did it worked well last night. Thanks Knack!
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KnacK on February 01, 2008, 08:49:20 AM
I'll leave it alone for the weekend.  Monday I'll set it up to throttle down the speeda bit and see if that interferes with the server.
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: Garrett on February 01, 2008, 10:09:14 AM
I think it would be better to just cap the download speeds rather than disable the fast file downloads.  The old download system sucked. :P
Yea it did.  The new one downloads map in a heartbeat.


I've been seeing that.  So the downloading on top of my unusually high network traffic is causing an issue.

Do you have a low bandwidth cap from your ISP?
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KnacK on February 01, 2008, 10:40:18 AM
I have a T1 here at the office.

The past few weeks we have had an aboev normal amount if internet traffic esepcially with our video conferencing system.

I have a monitor on my desk that constantly shows me how much bandwidth I'm using at any given time:

Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: Garrett on February 01, 2008, 10:54:43 AM
Man, your guys at the office aren't mad you are using there server for DP!?  Thats what I call respect.
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: ViciouZ on February 01, 2008, 11:32:38 AM
Man, your guys at the office aren't mad you are using there server for DP!?  Thats what I call respect.

He is the BOFT: Bastard Operator from Texas.
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: KnacK on February 01, 2008, 12:07:07 PM
Actually I am using a dedicated server for the DP servers.

Its a Compaq DL360
4 gig mem
2x18gig RAID1
Dual 1.8g xeon cpus
Running Fedora Core 6
Title: Re: A Plea to Knack
Post by: Herron on February 02, 2008, 02:31:31 PM
Since the downlaod speed is now adjustable, could someone share the parameters to slow it down a bit?

Quote
- Cvar: sv_fast_download_max_rate sets the absolute max total transfer rate in KB/s.  Effectively, rates will be much slower than this, recommend leaving at 0 to disable.

You could just do that with rcon instead of waiting until Monday o_O