Digital Paint Discussion Board
Development => Mapping => Map Graveyard => Topic started by: Sawy on March 05, 2008, 05:13:53 PM
-
My new map, finally my real first map (other last map was only train for me...).
"Crash Valley" is medium/large map, rocky/grassy type.
There are 2 team (Blue and Red) and 2 flag/Team. 5 point/flag
There are:
-1 main way.
-1 way by back door.
-2 way up to go mid.
-3 way to go to 2nd flag.
-3 (4) to go to the first flag.
Gun: 2 Carbine, 2 Vm-68, 1 Spyder, 4 automag and 1 autockoker / Team
I tried to do cool terrain with sometimes tricks, many possibility to grabs flags.
Sky are arctic sky.
Few screen:
First Flag
(http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4233/cvalley3wf4.png)
2nd Flag
(http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6294/cvalley4mk1.png)
Mid
(http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7108/cvalley1xk9.png)
I let's you discover other way of my map:
To download it: Beta_1:http://loluploads.com/843486 (http://loluploads.com/843486)
So, my map have more ways, good gameplay (?), 2 flags.
Only 1 problems are R_speeds.
R_speeds suck sometime :/ (between 10 and 1000, but sometimes 2000/4000).
I don't know yet how have low r_speeds.
I know there are maybe little bugs on it, but i tried to repair all bugs when i saw them.
And i know many people are thinking about i'm not good to creat map, because they know only 2 map of me,
so i hope this one will be nice to these peoples.
Don't attack this map like others.
But If you have idea of new way, or do somethings better, say it, and i will try to do it.
Thx
-Sawy-
"Then attack Sawy cause I Do this way"
-
This looks very nice! I'll check it out when I can, but for now:
1. You need to release betas first, to avoid complications when you make any changes.
2. The name of your BSP can't have any capital letters in it, or it might cause problems for those running linux. Just make them all lowercase.
-
ok, Thx ;)
It's beta_1, i just forget to say it lol.
-
Very nice job with the map Sawy! This map reminds a bit carpathian. Still nicely done!
-
Thx byz ;)
-
Looking good so far, havn't had time to download but i've noticed a few things from the screen shots.
The sky dosn't seem to fit, try using another plain sky one.
Align those textures on those planks of wood, they all seem to be out.
Maybe add a few more faces to those lolly poop trees.
I'll have another hunt when i download. Looking great though. =]
~MT
-
My first impression after seeing that first screenshot was "darnnnn" very nice.
Word filter 1, y00tz 0
-
I played around a bit in my own server, and I must say it was meddling nice as all hell. The only thing you really need to do is make all the wood grain go the long way down each board and ladder. =] hope that doesn't take a week.
-
Thx all
The only thing you really need to do is make all the wood grain go the long way down each board and ladder. =] hope that doesn't take a week.
I'm not sure to understand^^
What i need to change?
(i'm french, so it's hard to understand something about mapping :p)
thx
-Sawy-
-
Read this tutorial (http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=5439.0) on how to create ladders.
-
ok.
And i must do it for ladder and all wood?
-
You should do it for all ladders and all planks at least.
-
ok :-\
-
sawy where do you get ideas for these great maps?
-
Looks nice. Best map you made. Forget cod . . . ;)
-
Thx chef ;)
mik1: I don't know where i found ideas :p, but thx to my thought^^ (or spirit, i don't know in english^^)
I'm now working on wood, to have nice wood grain =)
-
wow, nice map. i like it better than your others ^^ and everything i noticed has already bbeen pointed out, nice job
EDIT: i did also notice that some of the barrels that are on their side the texture is the wrong way.
-
wrong way? na i cant believe it ^^
i was looking on many map how was texture of barrels, i did exactly same :s.
Ok, i did all wood grain, i will compile my map tonight, and post it tomorow Beta_2 (or final? depend of bugs), so if you have another bugs, please tell them, i don't need 1000000 beta^^, so i prefere repair all bug and compile it at final.
-Sawy-
-
Man Sawy, your second map makes mine look bad.
great work
-
Ok, I went ahead and renamed the map to cvalley_b1.bsp, since you already had an upper case letter in the name which causes problems on Linux. I've uploaded the map to the beta server (see PM for details) and recorded a demo of some things you should revise. Note that you'll have to name your map cvalley_b1.bsp and put it in paintball2/pball/maps/beta in order to watch the demo. I gave some suggestions for lowering the r_speeds at the end.
-
i do have to say sawy this is prolly ur best map ive seen if recall u made megashock and shock 2? and someother 4got the names but this is darn out ur best good job
-
Thx kaos. i made shock2, not megashock, but shock2 was not for pub, was only for me, but this map is on server..
But it was one years ago, long time^^ i was starting to try create map^^.
So, i did all wood (i think) and i'm watching demo of jitspoe so i wil try change what he explain to me on demo.
Soon beta_2 :)
-Sawy-
-
I did all wood grain, and other bug (barrels texture, wall, wood of tree).
I have always bad r_speed at mid :-\
I don't like idea of jistpoe, but i trying something.
R_speed don't change, but now i don't know yet what cvalley will be the true map:
so i have 2 map now: same map but with one thing at mid changed:
Beta_2:
a)http://loluploads.com/173680 (http://loluploads.com/173680)
B)http://loluploads.com/534565 (http://loluploads.com/534565)
Say what map you prefere^^ thx
Vote is open ;)
Few people said me: "your tree suck, looks lolipop", but i don't know what can i change on it. idea?
And i forget: i will ereas water of main way, because this are doing x2 r_speed.
-Sawy-
-
I vote 1 and very nice map ;D
-
rename your maps pls to
cvalley_beta2_1
cvalley_beta2_2
-
This map reeks of XXXX and dirty tacos.
-
wrong way? na i cant believe it ^^
i was looking on many map how was texture of barrels, i did exactly same :s.
Ok, i did all wood grain, i will compile my map tonight, and post it tomorow Beta_2 (or final? depend of bugs), so if you have another bugs, please tell them, i don't need 1000000 beta^^, so i prefere repair all bug and compile it at final.
-Sawy-
waht im trying to say is that on barrels the rings are supposed to go around, sideways. on the barrels that are on the ground the rings of the barrels and going lengthways. from top to bottom.
-
waht im trying to say is that on barrels the rings are supposed to go around, sideways. on the barrels that are on the ground the rings of the barrels and going lengthways. from top to bottom.
I did it on beta2
-
Good work on fixing a bunch of those textures. There are still a few that need alignment, but I think you got most of them. I'll make a demo later to point out the ones that still need to be fixed. You can't really expect to make one beta then fix everything and be done. These things take time to fine tune, and there will always be something you miss.
As Viper pointed out, you need to use better file names. If you make a sequel to your map or something and there are two cvalley2.bsp's floating around, it's confusing. Those filenames also make it look like a finished product when it's still beta. Don't use uppercase letters, as Linux is case sensitive. I've renamed your maps to cvalley_b2_1.bsp and cvalley_b2_2.bsp and uploaded them to the beta server. I suggest testing them and getting some feedback. When I tried it out, a lot of people were confused by the layout, so perhaps you could add a few base indicators. It took a couple rounds to get used to the layout, but I think I like it.
Edit: Forgot to mention -- looks like in the 2nd version of beta2 you started to do what I suggested to improve r_speeds, but you did it on the ground. You need to make a wall that goes all the way up to the sky in order to block off the visibility and decrease the r_speeds. Try throwing a full wall in there, then vis it and see if it helps your r_speeds.
-
Ok, beta_3 is ready.
-I erase water of main way, r_speeds are better now. (not yet really low, but better.)
-I chose the first version of Cvalley
-I repaired (last?) bugs.
-Name of my map is now with "beta -> cvalley_b3".
-> Beta_3: http://loluploads.com/420350 (http://loluploads.com/420350)
Now, what i forget on this map? (bugs, texture, ect...)
I'm ready to do beta_4 ;)
-
Very nice.
You should align the last misaligned wood and barrel textures as you said.
Some more pics:
(http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3465/sshot012bn7.th.jpg) (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sshot012bn7.jpg)
What did you do here? Why are there blue lines on the wall?
(http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8075/sshot015qr2.th.jpg) (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sshot015qr2.jpg)
Bad lighting also, the black thing looks horrible :)
(http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1019/sshot013tg7.th.jpg) (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sshot013tg7.jpg)
The ladder doesn't work for me.
(http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9946/sshot014pk4.th.jpg) (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sshot014pk4.jpg)
Very dark, almost black. Maybe add some more lights there.
(http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1286/sshot016ge6.th.jpg) (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sshot016ge6.jpg)
Why didn't you do just one brush? So the textures are misaligned now.
(http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1491/sshot017fb1.th.jpg) (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sshot017fb1.jpg)
The only place i found, where the r_speeds are very bad now. The wpoly are around 4500 here. If you move a little bit, they drop down to 2500. Maybe you can fix it.
One more thing i don't like is the icy sky into a green map ;)
-
Ok, i will try repair these all bugs, but i don't know how for many of them ;D
-"Why are there blue lines on the wall?"
Hm, nice question, i can't awnser now.
-"Bad lighting also, the black thing looks horrible"
How repair it?
-"The ladder doesn't work for me."
ha yep, sry, i forget it.
-"Very dark, almost black."
i will add light ;)
-"Why didn't you do just one brush?"
Cus i dind't find how do this little large box, but i think i found it now, so maybe i can repair it (hope).
-"If you move a little bit, they drop down to 2500. Maybe you can fix it."
Hm, how fix it?
And for sky, i'm sorry, but i love it on this map xD
Thx for help =)
I go to work on Beta_4 ;)
-
The Blue lights come from the sunlighting somehow. Cause when i tested different sun angles etc red and blue lines came on wall
-
Ok, Thx.
I will try change sun angles, or do a little moving at barrels
-
1) I'm testing to erase blue line (50%)
2) done
3) done
4) done
5) done
6)Don't know how fix it yet
Soon beta_4 ;)
-
Almost got the naming down perfect - but you need to use all lowercase. I renamed it to cvalley_b3 and uploaded it to the beta server. Also, another demo as promised.
-
Beta_4: http://loluploads.com/589303
I fixed many bugs, and change other stuff:
-deleted 2 tree
-deleted blue lines on wall
-Add light on dark way
-fixed barrels (not all yet i think)
-and other bugs fixed...
And i think i will add a jail (when you die), like jistpoe and webster sugest it.
Soon beta_5, i need time, because i'm busy ;)
-
Another demo.
-
I udpated last version on Arctic server as name "cvalley"
-
i just miss some nice jumps but
it s a big map with many ways...
well done
-
@ zimtstern: Its not a jump map, its a paintball map...
@ All: Download (ftp://otb-server.de/pub/Maps/cvalley.bsp)
@ Sawy: A good map, but it needs a little bit more work. So idk why u dont make a new beta.
Here are ten screens (from one side, the other side has the same):
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot514.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot514.jpg) 90% of this texture in the complete map is misaligned.
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot515.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot515.jpg)
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot516.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot516.jpg) A lot of this boxes are misaligned. The other boxes are good.
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot517.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot517.jpg)
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot518.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot518.jpg)
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot519.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot519.jpg)
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot520.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot520.jpg)
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot521.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot521.jpg)
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot522.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot522.jpg)
(http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot523.jpg) (http://dpball.dp.funpic.de/mapbilder/cvalley/sshot523.jpg)
-
I don't want to make a new beta because i don't have many time to work on it.
And people won't play it anyways, or maybe just few people.
Ok, i guess i can try to change some of these bugs, but some maps are played with so many bugs or some maps are called "map" but are not really like map..
Krajinka2, tunnels, ect..
I know you will say me "it's better to play on map without bugs", so why are we playing all theses maps with bugs or unplay maps?
And paintball is dying: when i started this map, some teams were alive. That's why i don't know if i really need to finish it without bugs now
Sorry for my english, i hope you will understand what i want to explain.
-
I know you will say me "it's better to play on map without bugs", so why are we playing all theses maps with bugs or unplay maps?
Because we have no other playable maps...
Who plays krajinka2 or tunnels?
Tunnels is betaX for ever and the other one idk. Never heared something from that map or the first version of it.
-
Krajinka2 is first map of Jopez, and it´s pretty bad(he says it too :P) but some czechs players play it. I think that this version of cvalley is good, bugs are not big. I miss some jumps too, it don´t need to be a jump map to have some...But it´s just my opinion.Well done sawy
-
some teams are playing these maps when they are matching.
Look, good teams dying and teams who are playing plays maps like that.
I guess that's why some mappers are not trying to do perfect map, if many teams don't care about how map is.
This game needs rules for match (im not talking about pub) where only good map could be played.
ex: I did cod maps, but this is only fun map, i never did it for play it on match. Just on pub.
I don't will say everymaps, you know them.
but, about cvalley, i will try to fix theses last bugs, if i have time. But motivation is not same now.
I hope you understand me, because i'm little tired and i'm at school, i can't read what i wrote.
-
I know, it is a lot of work to fix all bugs and misaligned textures, but it makes the difference between a good map and a perfect map. So I hope you will work again on this map, because we have enough good maps, but just a few perfect maps ;)
-
@terrorist orly?
its just a bad map without jumps --> my opinion.
-
its just a bad map without jumps --> my opinion.
@ zimtstern: Its not a jump map, its a paintball map...
-
you know pforest? some basically jumps
that s what i mean
no need for knacks THIS IS NOT A JUMP MOD
-
no need for knacks THIS IS NOT A JUMP MOD
You have no idea how much I hate jump maps/servers. :)
-
Good looking map without jumps is good, but good looking map with JUMPS is what I love.
-
play discovery :P
-
I do. I think that if someone could make map with jumps like on pp1 or pbcup_renoir, with design like zen_europaint or discovery and playable like pp1 or shazam22, it will be the best map ever. Now probably pp1 is. but it haven´t got great design and details like on zen_europaint.