Digital Paint Discussion Board

Paintball 2: The Game => Server Discussion => Topic started by: IronFist on August 16, 2008, 12:09:36 AM

Title: "O_o" - Testing server / "ironmod"
Post by: IronFist on August 16, 2008, 12:09:36 AM
--
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: ViciouZ on August 16, 2008, 12:58:24 PM
<3
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: QueeNiE on August 19, 2008, 10:37:01 PM
I've been waiting a long time for something like this. 

+<3

Suggestions:

-ranking systems
-custom skins/sounds (e.g., admin skins, top killer skins, most active skins, prize skins, etc.)
-!nextmap (says the next map in the maplist)
-!reportcheater <GLID> (assuming sv_login 2 is enforced.

Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: Zorchenhimer on August 19, 2008, 11:29:34 PM
Suggestions:

-ranking systems
-custom skins/sounds (e.g., admin skins, top killer skins, most active skins, prize skins, etc.)
-!nextmap (says the next map in the maplist)
-!reportcheater <GLID> (assuming sv_login 2 is enforced.

I donno about the custom skins, that could hit some controversy.  But I really like the idea of the nextmap and report cheater.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: QueeNiE on August 19, 2008, 11:34:02 PM
Well the skins would be for in that server use only.  And when you joined the game if you were an dmin you could type !skins.  This would pop-up a small menu with several skins with the word 'admin' printed on the back that you could use.  For everyone else, they would only see that skin on you.  And you would see normal skins on them.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: Holo on August 20, 2008, 12:45:32 AM
Hoorayyyyyyy! 19 ping.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: wallpainter08 on August 20, 2008, 08:46:44 AM
I like the idea with the skins but you dont want to have ones that match exactly the enviroment.  But also if your playing on teams the changing of skins might confuse people.  But are you just saying to put adm on the back of your team color's shirt?
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: i_am_a_pirate on August 20, 2008, 05:18:05 PM
This is very cool. I had a play (with over 200 ping :( - I hate being in England ;)  ). What i saw was very good - just get a few more maps on the server rotation. I don't quite get the whole rock the vote thing. It seemed as thought the team-balancing didn't quite work. I was left 3v1 - the message appeared when it was 2v2 saying that it was autobalancing by moving someone on red. ?!?

EDIT

Does rtv work by just forcing a map change in the middle of a match? If so, it really wouldn't work on matches. eg. a clan is losing badly. they have 6 members on the server (2 observing - 4 playing). The opposing clan has 4 player online - all playing. The 1st team all rtv and the map changes just as the opposing team are about to win when the score is 48-0 and they have the flag.

Or are observer's votes not counted?
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: IronFist on August 20, 2008, 06:11:57 PM
This is very cool. I had a play (with over 200 ping :( - I hate being in England ;)  ). What i saw was very good - just get a few more maps on the server rotation. I don't quite get the whole rock the vote thing. It seemed as thought the team-balancing didn't quite work. I was left 3v1 - the message appeared when it was 2v2 saying that it was autobalancing by moving someone on red. ?!?

I think I'll focus on the player balancing plugin, since I've not really tested it a lot yet. I just now finally fixed a problem where player chat randomly doesn't work (for the same reason "players; say test" does not work as expected -- not sure if this is a bug in DP or not). I'll try to recreate your problem from the logs if I can.

!rtv is part of a plugin called "rockthevote", so if it were a match server, you'd just not load that particular plugin. !rtv here (and in other games, like CS) triggers an early map vote if enough players "rock the vote". The idea is to make it relatively easy to get the map changed if it's making most of the people want to leave. All players have their vote counted. There is the remote possibility of a pub team all rocking the vote if they are doing badly, but that's a fringe situation that isn't likely to occur.

I already told QueeNiE I'm not going to bother with player skins right now. I recall that there was some reason they were going to be troublesome to change. I'll leave out my viewpoint on server-determined skin modifications until later :>

edit: I fixed a problem that resulted in the team players being miscounted, so hopefully player balancing will work correctly now.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: sniped on August 21, 2008, 08:09:04 PM
The server is an amazing piece of work! I tried it out, though there wasn't anybody on it, but I like the way you set up that robot-like voice for when someone enters!
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: i_am_a_pirate on August 22, 2008, 10:28:48 AM
This sever, then is basically testing most of the 'serverside' stuff from the feature vote list so that jits can have less pressure. I knew that there was a way that the community could help out!!

I noticed that I downloaded quite a few sounds. What are they? I know that ther was one for the entering, but didn't notice any others being used...
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: skitzo on August 22, 2008, 10:31:06 AM
the other one's are for when admins use commands i believe.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: Garrett on August 22, 2008, 10:52:59 AM
the other one's are for when admins use commands i believe.
They are.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: Zorchenhimer on August 22, 2008, 01:33:21 PM
Some feedback:

I noticed that there was a little bit of a delay between me pressing the "throw nade" button and the nade actually being launched.  Thats the only one it happens with so far.

Oh, and you might want to disable the strength command for observers.  Haha.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: skitzo on August 22, 2008, 01:44:21 PM
Oh, and you might want to disable the strength command for observers.  Haha.

nooooo that's the fun aspect of strength =P
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: Zorchenhimer on August 22, 2008, 01:45:08 PM
Hehe.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: capo on August 22, 2008, 02:20:11 PM
Played on this server a few nights ago. By myself though  :'(.

I really like what you're doing with this.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: IronFist on August 22, 2008, 02:52:29 PM
I noticed that there was a little bit of a delay between me pressing the "throw nade" button and the nade actually being launched.  Thats the only one it happens with so far.

I thought I noticed that too, but I wasn't quite sure. It happened after I added a queue for each client's commands, so I'll either disable its use for grenade throws or fix it so it forwards their commands faster. I will also fix a few other problems today (team tracking from one map to another is breaking the team balancing plugin).

edit: It should be fixed now
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server
Post by: IronFist on October 28, 2008, 10:14:19 PM
I've stopped working on this project. It began as a few hacks here and there to make things work, and it's reached an unmanageable state (i.e. it's getting extremely difficult to debug, especially since it replicates a lot of game logic). I may post the code at some point, but I'm not in a hurry since (a) it's a huge mess, (b) it's my first mid-scale C/Lua project, so I'd do things a lot different to improve on efficiency and design, and (c) most of the C is written by a massive perl script.

I was inspired largely by work on Natural Selection 2 (http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/) (which will implement all game logic in Lua), and a desire to finally work on a "useful" project in C. This project got me better acquainted with C (which I never have really had a use for) and the strength in strapping a scripting language to it.

I have a huge amount I could write about what I perceive to be the benefits of putting game logic in pluggable scripts, but I'll just stop here. DP is a good target for my "fun" projects where I'm looking to learn new things, so hopefully I will be able to implement some other map/stats ideas I have in the future.

Thanks to the people who helped testing it and sent ideas.
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server / "ironmod"
Post by: skitzo on October 29, 2008, 10:28:54 PM
aww i was hoping to see the ranking system to be put in. :[ maybe someone can pick it up and continue that for you? ;D
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server / "ironmod"
Post by: ic3y on October 30, 2008, 04:00:38 PM
maybe u will post the last beta for download? =)
Title: Re: "O_o" - Testing server / "ironmod"
Post by: skitzo on October 30, 2008, 04:03:19 PM
That too. From playing on your server, if people could run these kind of servers that would be great to improve server mod-ability and make the game even funner than it already is.