Digital Paint Discussion Board

Digital Paint Community => Other Stuff => Topic started by: RoBbIe on March 18, 2009, 04:44:23 PM

Title: High School classes
Post by: RoBbIe on March 18, 2009, 04:44:23 PM
Right now im taking A+ , Web publishing and Graphic Design i was just wondering what other people have took and what else i should take that will better help me with computers mainly with game developing . TY
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Spook on March 18, 2009, 04:48:38 PM
3D design and animation.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: RoBbIe on March 18, 2009, 04:49:41 PM
cool i will have to check them out
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: RoBbIe on March 18, 2009, 04:53:58 PM
i dont think i have them but here what we got

        1. A+
        2.Programming
        3.IT Help Desk
        4.Network+
        5.AV Production
        6.IT Entrepreneurship
        7. Graphic Design
        8.IT Records
        9. Computer Media Design
       10. IT Computer Tools
       11.Year Book
       12.Web Publishing
       13.Desktop Publishing
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Zorchenhimer on March 18, 2009, 05:24:51 PM
All that in high school?  Crap.  All I had was java.  :P
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: lilb990 on March 18, 2009, 05:37:35 PM
All that in high school?  Crap.  All I had was java.  :P

Same here bro. Lol i just started college. I'm finishing up my freshmen year at LSU and taking finals atm as well as zorch :P. Only class i took in highschool about computers was web publishing lol.

On a side note: Zorch if you do go to college what college do you go to? jw
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: ViciouZ on March 18, 2009, 05:37:57 PM
Nothing at my school at all :S
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Zorchenhimer on March 18, 2009, 05:42:13 PM
On a side note: Zorch if you do go to college what college do you go to? jw

Close.  Two of my friends go there.  I'm 20 minutes south of them.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: RoBbIe on March 18, 2009, 05:43:44 PM
Lol must classes crap main teacher loves and owns 5 half life servers.. lol also only animation we use is with ALice if anyone knows that program.. one day we learned to make games with python to
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: lilb990 on March 18, 2009, 05:48:38 PM
Close.  Two of my friends go there.  I'm 20 minutes south of them.

Wait your in Louisiana?
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: delrio on March 18, 2009, 05:51:59 PM
All that in high school?  Crap.  All I had was java.  :P

Lucky you, all we had was Word Processing. :(
Title: _
Post by: P!nk on March 18, 2009, 07:09:16 PM
Post removed
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: RoBbIe on March 18, 2009, 07:26:28 PM
lol sounds like mine besides everything is about half life LOl
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: XtremeBain on March 18, 2009, 07:35:53 PM
All that in high school?  Crap.  All I had was java.  :P

Ugh.. we had QBasic. I didn't bother taking it.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: flamer on March 18, 2009, 08:02:48 PM
Here we only have 3D animations and the basics of program such a DElphi,DreamWeaver,RpgMaker
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: IronFist on March 18, 2009, 08:10:39 PM
Usually, if you're lucky, you have Computer Science I & II AP or IB programs. I usually focuses on an object-oriented language (Java/C++) and II focuses more on the important features of that OO language and data structures.

One obvious advantage of AP/IB is that you can take the exam at the end (and I believe both require a decent-sized project) which translates to college credit for equivalent courses mostly anywhere. Each course typically translates directly into a course at the college (intro to programming / data structures).
Title: _
Post by: Dirty_Taco on March 18, 2009, 08:18:37 PM
Post removed
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Zorchenhimer on March 18, 2009, 11:10:09 PM
From what I've heard, most programmers learn more outside the classroom than in, meaning they basically use a few books/websites as reference material and experiment on their own. You have to be fairly self-motivated for that to work, though.

Most of what I know is self taught.  I did learn the basics in a class though (loops, variables, arrays, etc).
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: jitspoe on March 19, 2009, 12:11:37 PM
OR YOU CAN DO PHILOSOPHY LIKE THE PRO'S DO AND GET A JOB AT MCDONALD'S.
fix'd. ;)
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Garrett on March 19, 2009, 06:21:46 PM
I took CAD, Computer Networking 1, Computer Science (Java), AP Computer Science, Web Page Design, and I am currently in Advanced Web page Design.  I have to agree, although school gave me a good foundation, I learned twice as much by my self.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Zorchenhimer on March 20, 2009, 01:54:59 AM
Wait your in Louisiana?

Wrong JW, or rather JWU.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: eradicator on March 20, 2009, 12:07:18 PM
Right now im taking:
English 11
Economics
Chemistry
physics
French 3
Algebra 2
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Spook on March 20, 2009, 11:59:22 PM
erad, he doesn't care about your other classes, just the ones that pertain to what he asked.

What might also be helpful (at least I found it to be) is learning autocad techniques. Basically you model things in autodesk inventor in detail, and then you can import them into 3ds Max. Since 3ds Max has no detail in the objects you can create it would be your best bet to make a halfway decent scene.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: lilb990 on March 21, 2009, 10:51:12 AM
Right now im taking:
English 11
Economics
Chemistry
physics
French 3
Algebra 2

English 11? I thought it was like english 2 or 3 in highschool? heh. My senior year i had short day! it was awesome work your way up to that erad.

I had the choice of going in late 2 hours or leaving earlier 2 hours.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Nitroboy on March 21, 2009, 04:10:33 PM
Right now im taking:
English 11
Economics
Chemistry
physics
French 3
Algebra 2

Wait, how are you taking Physics, when you are taking Algebra 2?
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: skitzo on March 21, 2009, 04:18:03 PM
double math?
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Eiii on March 21, 2009, 05:21:14 PM
Physics is just applied math, it's perfectly reasonable to take both at once.

You can fake knowing derivatives and integrals, for the purposes of physics, anyway.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Clipz on March 21, 2009, 07:55:53 PM
High school was a joke all i learned was to roll a blunt and skip class and get drunk
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Cameron on March 21, 2009, 08:00:51 PM
As if you all get that stuff.  All we get is fkn Visual Basic, oh and I got a nice little slip because I called the Visual Basic teacher an idiot and a dumb intercourse.  I have found that anything to do in IT at our school is USELESS.  I'm doing the main IT course atm, since I cbf learning vb, and its even worse.  I'm getting taught how to use Microsoft Access and Excel in a y11 class, how dumb.  At least next term might be fun.... designing a website ONLY using the design view of dreamweaver....
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: eradicator on March 21, 2009, 08:19:58 PM
I know spook, I was just saying though. YA DIC
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: skitzo on March 21, 2009, 09:01:53 PM
lucky, we get computer apps and basic programming rofl
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: Spook on March 21, 2009, 09:37:54 PM
Don't use such abrasive language around the kids here.

Btw, chemistry and physics at the same time. Must be 2 very boring classes in your day.

Also, I'm guessing English 11 means English for the juniors at your school.

On another note, my school offers a lot of computer aided drafting courses. Mainly architecture and 3d solids CAD. I took 3d solids and am actually going to a state competition in April since I got 2nd in regional.
Title: Re: High School classes
Post by: RoBbIe on March 22, 2009, 04:53:20 PM
while reading through the replys my school doesnt have half the stuff you said so imma try to self teach myself... like a musician just play around till i know what im doing then get into harder stuff. the musician was added because when i first started playin guitar i couldnt play by reading music but i could do it w/o tabs just play from memory..