Digital Paint Discussion Board

Development => Mapping => Topic started by: musickid999 on July 13, 2009, 01:03:21 AM

Title: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: musickid999 on July 13, 2009, 01:03:21 AM
As soon as the day ends, submissions will not be accepted. Any entries on the following list are submitted entries:
Lands of Grief and Regret (Beta 3) - JeeJee and Blaa
Passageway To Hell (Beta 1) - Musik
Cold War City (Beta 1) - ViciouZ and Cusoman

Title: 2009 Summer Test Season
Theme: Underground
Object: Rock
Checkpoint Date: August 3 2009
Submission Date: August 29 2009
Conclusion Date: August 31 2009
Judges:
Rick and Cameron
Superman and Skitzo

Entries:
- Robbie and Musik (Submitted)
- Spook
- Rimini and RoBiNHooD
- RewinD
- Viciouz and Cusoman
- JeeJee and blaa (Submitted)
- ip0d
- Putt-Putt and ic3y
- aircrew

The theme for this test competition is the Underground. Anything goes. Train tunnels, mining shafts, few Australian houses (watch Discovery Channel sometime), as long as more than half the map is underground.
As for the object, each entry must include a rock. Any kind of rock. Simple. Be creative. Don't just put a rock in the middle of your map.

General Rules (New rules will be added accordingly after the test season):

1. Participants must register with xMAPCOM with the following details:
   a. Name of Mapper(s)
   b. Method(s) of Contact
   c. Date of Registration
2. Mappers may choose to register anytime before the determined checkpoint.
3. Members of xMAPCOM may also participate in the season, as long as they do not take part in the judging.
4. Maps must not have been started before the announcement of the season's theme.
5. There is a limit of 4 to the number of mappers working on the same entry.
6. A maximum of 2 entries may be submitted from the same team.
7. All entries must be original. Any form of plagiarism will immediately render the entry a disqualification.
8. Entries must be based on the season's announced theme. Submissions not based on the chosen theme will be disqualified.
9. Submissions will be judged based on a few factors.
   a. Appearance
   b. Gameplay
   c. Originality (Creativity)
   d. Technique
10. Entries must be submitted in the following format to any xMAPCOM member.
   a. Name of Mapper(s)
   b. Name of Map
   c. Brief Description of Map
   d. Date of Submission
   e. Any Necessary Materials (textures, sounds, models)
   f. Compiled Map in .bsp format
   g. Final Version of Map in .map format
11. Entries must be recieved by any xMAPCOM member before the cutoff time. A confirmation will be sent upon recieval.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 13, 2009, 01:44:50 AM
Good job for finally getting this finished,  ;D 8)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on July 13, 2009, 01:48:16 AM
 
a. Name of Mapper(s): Rick and Cameron
   b. Method(s) of Contact: iRC, msn,vent, phone, email...What ever you want.
   c. Date of Registration: Today Obv.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 13, 2009, 01:54:35 AM
a. Name of Mapper(s): Musik and Robbie
b. Method of Contact: mIRC and XFire (musik999 and robbiecundiff)
c. Date of Registration: July 13 2009
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Spook on July 13, 2009, 01:58:57 AM
I'll register, but can't promise an official release of the map within the time period.
a. Spook
b. mIRC #allstarz, Steam (LP__Spook) yes 2 underscores
c. July 13, 2009
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 13, 2009, 02:01:47 AM
That's fine. This is just a test season. Depending on how many people get the map done, we'll be altering the time period for each season.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBiNandL!nk on July 13, 2009, 02:33:08 AM
a. Name of Mapper(s): RoBiNHooD
b. Method of Contact: mIRC
c. Date of Registration: July 13 2009
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 13, 2009, 06:45:16 AM
Nice to see people are participating. Let's see if any new mappers decide to join. That would be even better.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on July 13, 2009, 08:08:31 AM
So, do .map sources have to be released with the submissions? Would help with technique judging perhaps.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rewind on July 13, 2009, 08:13:36 AM
a. Name of Mapper(s): RewinD
b. Method of Contact: mIRC
c. Date of Registration: July 14 2009

why not eh?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: FluKe on July 13, 2009, 09:34:53 AM
With the mapers who "THINK" they are going to rule this as in give points thats just a  fail, should of got Spook RiMiNi CusoMan
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Justinph5 on July 13, 2009, 09:45:52 AM
With the mapers who "THINK" they are going to rule this as in give points thats just a  fail, should of got Spook RiMiNi CusoMan
shut up nick, they're getting people to participate, so you should let them do their thing and see how it goes... Go learn how to spell while you wait...
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 13, 2009, 09:52:15 AM
Viciouz:   We have thought about .map sources being released as well. It is decided that the .map files also need to be released.
The .map file will be looked at and judged part of Technique. The use of clip and hint brushes will be taken into account, as well as the neatness of the .map file (aligning brushes to the grid).

nick123:  I don't know what thread you have been reading. I hope you know that no judges have been announced at the moment. Please keep this thread official. If you have any problems with the committee, PM any member.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on July 13, 2009, 10:05:07 AM
a. Name of Mapper(s): ViciouZ
b. Method of Contact: IRC, gtalk viciouz.uk, xfire bighugellama
c. Date of Registration: July 13 2009

On the technical judging: For the other mapping competitions, grounds for technical judging involved r_speeds, intersecting brushes, texture alignment, use of brush entities, stuff like that.

Also, is there any specific gamemode?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 13, 2009, 10:09:02 AM
Yep, that's basically what we meant by the Technical criteria. Thanks for reminding us.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 13, 2009, 10:14:45 AM
a. Name of Mapper(s): JeeJee and blaa
b. Method of Contact: irc
c. Date of Registration: july 13 2009
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 13, 2009, 10:57:15 AM
It's great to see so many mappers start joining :) I hope this starts working out really well.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 13, 2009, 11:34:28 AM
keep on joining, where doing good.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: T3RR0R15T on July 13, 2009, 11:57:13 AM
What about this:

9e. Bugs, misaligned textures
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 13, 2009, 12:27:16 PM
What about this:

9e. Bugs, misaligned textures

Basically the "Technical" criteria. :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 13, 2009, 01:56:55 PM
I don't think it should be necessary for mappers to be forced to hand over a .map, you should be able to figure out most of these things (clip brushes, misaligned brushes, misaligned textures, hint brushes [just look at r_speeds], etc.) by just playing the map. If you get caught on something, well obviously that area wasn't clipped etc.

Not handing it over just means that nubs like chris123 or whoever can't jack your map and w/e ^_^

edit: post 3oh!3 :D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 13, 2009, 02:05:35 PM
Also, is there any specific gamemode?

Nope, You can use any game mode you desire.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 13, 2009, 02:06:14 PM
Rims can you be one of our judges :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 13, 2009, 02:08:31 PM
Rims can you be one of our judges :)

He is making a map so no, pheeks please do not ask for "specific people to judge" let them sign up willingly 
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 13, 2009, 02:42:18 PM
Entries:
- Rick and Cameron
- Musik and Robbie
- Spook
- RoBiNHooD
- RewinD
- Viciouz
- JeeJee

Am I making a map for this contest?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 13, 2009, 03:01:49 PM
Lol robbie. You DO have a big forum ego. and pwnd by rims
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 13, 2009, 03:04:51 PM
Am I making a map for this contest?

Well, i figured you would make one :) Your a very good mapper and i would rather like for you to make a map rather then judge :) but its your choice
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Kyuuchi on July 13, 2009, 03:07:30 PM
pheeks and robbie can you please have your conversation in private? this is about the xMAPCOM not your little conversations

.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 13, 2009, 03:16:21 PM
well, i will have to see if i can cook something up that has to do with underground-ness  :) if not i'd be more than happy to judge, just gotta check my schedule ^^
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 13, 2009, 03:21:01 PM
well, i will have to see if i can cook something up that has to do with underground-ness  :) if not i'd be more than happy to judge, just gotta check my schedule ^^

Ok, what ever you decide you wanna do is fine, :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: FluKe on July 13, 2009, 03:21:23 PM
a. Fluke and RobinHood
b. mIRC #Team_1311
c. July 13, 2009.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ip0d on July 13, 2009, 03:42:57 PM
 a. Name of Mapper :ip0d
   b. Method(s) of Contact: mIRC, Dploginfourms
   c. Date of Registration: July 13th,2009

And what do u mean by "object Rock"
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 13, 2009, 04:17:45 PM
a. Name of Mapper :ip0d
   b. Method(s) of Contact: mIRC, Dploginfourms
   c. Date of Registration: July 13th,2009

And what do u mean by "object Rock"

You have to make a rock in your map :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rewind on July 13, 2009, 04:34:49 PM
Rimini better be a judge.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 13, 2009, 04:44:41 PM
I don't think it should be necessary for mappers to be forced to hand over a .map, you should be able to figure out most of these things (clip brushes, misaligned brushes, misaligned textures, hint brushes [just look at r_speeds], etc.) by just playing the map. If you get caught on something, well obviously that area wasn't clipped etc.

Not handing it over just means that nubs like chris123 or whoever can't jack your map and w/e ^_^

edit: post 3oh!3 :D
I just know if a good map is made SOMEONE will leak the .map file and then a crappy version will be made :).
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 13, 2009, 04:56:17 PM
I think that for the contest we should get an Arctic^ [OTB] or some other server and use that and have the server owners download the maps so everyone sees the .bsp File instead of the .map file.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 13, 2009, 05:28:48 PM
I think that for the contest we should get an Arctic^ [OTB] or some other server and use that and have the server owners download the maps so everyone sees the .bsp File instead of the .map file.

The bsp file will be posted by everyone, and you can make your own server to look at it
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 13, 2009, 06:07:30 PM
yes, but there will be organized testing too right? Perhaps you could ask some experienced clans/players to match on each map, in addition to any testing/judging that the judges do.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 13, 2009, 06:15:26 PM
Robbie please, if musik lets up asks people if they want to join all right to us. Rimini you forgot to put my name in the members list too.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBiNandL!nk on July 13, 2009, 11:32:14 PM
love u rewind but ehh... is today the 14th??
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: KI3S on July 14, 2009, 01:31:17 AM
Then have the mappers release the .map to only the people judging. And make sure those judging are trustworthy not to leak it out.

yes, but there will be organized testing too right? Perhaps you could ask some experienced clans/players to match on each map, in addition to any testing/judging that the judges do.

That would probably be good, but  other contestants  would probably take ideas from your map and use it with theirs. All they need is a recorded demo from someone who tests your map out and they get a sneek peek of their competition.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ip0d on July 14, 2009, 01:33:21 AM
Then have the mappers release the .map to only the people judging. And make sure those judging are trustworthy not to leak it out.

That would probably be good, but  other contestants  would probably take ideas from your map and use it with theirs. All they need is a recorded demo from someone who tests your map out and they get a sneek peek of their competition.

you would have to have to .bsp file to watch the demo..
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 14, 2009, 01:37:27 AM
Judging System for now: (Notice, this is not in too much detail yet)
2 mappers and 2 matchers will make up the Judges. Each judge will rate all 4 criterias. In addition, each judge also has to rate 1 criteria in further detail. The results will be the original 4 ratings from each judge, named "Individual Ratings", and the combined 4 specilaized ratings from each judge, named "Specialized Ratings". The results of both "Individual" and "Specialized" ratings will determine the winner.

.map files will ONLY be given to the judges. No one else will recieve access to them other than the committee member who recieved it from the mapper. The judges will also be selected carefully.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Pajama-Sam on July 14, 2009, 06:13:21 AM
a. Name of Mapper(s):      Putt-Putt   ic3y
b. Method(s) of Contact:       email, irc (#team_l!ar or #team_ej), xfire (putting), vent (old or new)      IRC: /query ic3y, xfire: ic3viru5, icq: 279718253, msn: ic3y@live.de
c. Date of Registration:       July 14, 2009

(bold is Putt-Putt) (normal is ic3y)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 14, 2009, 12:53:18 PM
xMAOCOM Data Center under construction.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on July 14, 2009, 01:40:00 PM
Official xMAPCOM forums are under construction, much thanks to vague312. As soon as all the necessary details and settings are finished, a link will be provided, where it will take place of this thread. All future xMAPCOM discussions will take place on the forums.

No offence, but that is just about the surest way possible of killing this whole thing. Trust. :)

Also, it's more like a mapping clan than a 'committee' - committee draws parallels to the DP committee and makes it sound official. Might want to change that.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: SkaDooSh on July 14, 2009, 03:02:13 PM
Nice to see people are participating. Let's see if any new mappers decide to join. That would be even better.

a. Name of Mapper(s): RiCoChET, Muggins, Operative, Battle
b. Method of Contact: IRC: #team_ej xfire: skadoosh77
c. Date of Registration: July 14

We are all new to mapping, hopefully this will give us a good experience and make us better at it. Yes, we will be using all four people to work on this map. :D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 14, 2009, 05:09:19 PM
Then have the mappers release the .map to only the people judging. And make sure those judging are trustworthy not to leak it out.

That would probably be good, but  other contestants  would probably take ideas from your map and use it with theirs. All they need is a recorded demo from someone who tests your map out and they get a sneek peek of their competition.

I meant that after all the maps are submitted, then the judging begins. Ie. no sneaking a peek ^^

@musickid999 so each judges individual ratings are displayed? not just each overall rating of each aspect (like an average rating, all judges ratings combined, for each category) >.>

maybe the judges want some discretion so they don't get raged by their friends for giving an honest vote, rather than one to make their buddy win.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 14, 2009, 10:57:12 PM
No offence, but that is just about the surest way possible of killing this whole thing. Trust. :)

Also, it's more like a mapping clan than a 'committee' - committee draws parallels to the DP committee and makes it sound official. Might want to change that.

We did that mainly for organization purposes. It's also a lot easier for us to keep track of things.

a. Name of Mapper(s): RiCoChET, Muggins, Dizzle, Battle (Subject to change)
b. Method of Contact: IRC: #team_ej xfire: skadoosh77
c. Date of Registration: July 14

We are all new to mapping, hopefully this will give us a good experience and make us better at it. Yes, we will be using all four people to work on this map. :D

Thanks to all four of you for deciding to participate in the competition. This is exactly what we made this group for.

I meant that after all the maps are submitted, then the judging begins. Ie. no sneaking a peek ^^

@musickid999 so each judges individual ratings are displayed? not just each overall rating of each aspect (like an average rating, all judges ratings combined, for each category) >.>

maybe the judges want some discretion so they don't get raged by their friends for giving an honest vote, rather than one to make their buddy win.

No, we won't be showing the individual scores of the judges. You misinterpreted what I said. :) It's kind of hard to explain, so I'll wait until we're absolutely sure what we're going to do with the judging system before we explain it properly.

Judging System will be:
To be announced.

EDIT: Another Announcement:
Most of the current committee members' are temporary.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: SkaDooSh on July 15, 2009, 01:49:28 AM
A few things,

Operative has taken Dizzle's place on our team

Fall Season: September and October
Fall/Winter Season: November and December
Winter Season: January and February
Winter/Spring Season: March and April
Spring Season: May
Spring/Summer Season: June
Summer Season: July and August 

If you're planning to run this all year long, I would factor in the time people would have to work on the map. Example: Longer seasons during the months most people are in school, shorter in the summer.

Candidates and Volunteered (Unconfirmed) Judges:
- CoolGuY (v)

No.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 15, 2009, 01:53:04 AM
We're going to adjust the season lengths depending on the results of the test season. If the maps seem rushed and incomplete, then we will indeed increase the length of each competition. Now, the reason Spring and Spring/Summer competitions are shorter, is that these times are exam times. Most people won't even bother mapping during these months. They are made shorter so that these mappers do not miss out on too much. Also, not every season is guaranteed a competition. These are just season dates.

As to the judge, I agreed, but I need to be fair and put his name there. The names put there are not at all guaranteed to judge the competition.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: SkaDooSh on July 15, 2009, 02:05:45 AM
We're going to adjust the season lengths depending on the results of the test season. If the maps seem rushed and incomplete, then we will indeed increase the length of each competition. Now, the reason Spring and Spring/Summer competitions are shorter, is that these times are exam times. Most people won't even bother mapping during these months. They are made shorter so that these mappers do not miss out on too much. Also, not every season is guaranteed a competition. These are just season dates.

Alright, I think 3 four month seasons or 4 three month seasons would be good, then people would have plenty of time to work on it and wouldn't be rushed. As for exams, if the season runs long enough before and after that time of the year it would give enough time to work on it, take a break for the exams and not have to worry about the map, and pick it up when the exams are over. I think every season would have a contest this way.

The theme will be
Quote from: Rick on July 12, 2009, 12:12:00 AM
Theme- Under Ground

Brush-model- Rocks

If this is the theme for this competition can you include it in the first post, and maybe make it a little more detailed for us new mappers :)


Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 15, 2009, 02:19:36 AM
If we changed them, they would be 4 three month long seasons. Newer mappers probably won't have as long an attention span as some better mappers. It's not all "I have to release an amazing map!", you know. have some fun. This organization was made for 2 reasons.

1 - To make mapping more enjoyable. Everything's a bit more fun when you're competing. Sure, there's more pressure, but the competition provides a lot of time, and the ability to work in groups makes it even more enjoyable.
2 - To attract more mappers to actively join in the DP community. I'm sure a lot of people have tried to map, or have even made a playable map. They simply don't release the map to the community. Look at Elimnator (http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=17730.0). The mapping community probably have never heard of him, but look at his maps. Sure, some of them could use some work, but a lot are playable, and his mapping skill could easily be developed.

Some people in the community think, "Why bother mapping? It's just a game anyway." I myself am not a hardcore gamer, and I understand that valid point. However, being able to map, or at least know the basics of 3D manipulation (mapping, 3D modelling, etc) can help you get a challenging yet entertaining career like a game designer. It's not all games either. Have you ever thought of mapping like arranging props in a movie set? Not only can you go into games, but if you're a great mapper, chances are anything to do with design, you'll do better at.

EDIT: Fxed the first post for clearer instructions.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rewind on July 15, 2009, 11:36:56 AM
Don't make a forum for this. Viciouz is absolutely right, this thing will die before anyone even submits a map. I gauruntee the forums are probably hosted under invisionfree or something, so they're going to look like junk to begin with. Not to mention no one wants to register on a completely different forum for something that could easily be done here.

When a map is submitted, the one submitting it should have something like; "[xMAPCOM] New Map - blahblahblah" And then people will know its for the contest. On top of which, a link to the topic be posted in this thread.

Don't make an entirely new forum. Just don't.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: mewa on July 15, 2009, 12:51:39 PM
musickid has told me repeatedly, after i expressed the same idea to him, that he's not trying to replace using the dplogin.com forums. all the main info would remain here while the other forum acts as a supplement, as well as a place for whomevers helping organize to discuss. i got the impression that contest registration might take place on that site, which makes sense considering how chaotic and prone to errors having everyone post a 4line post in a thread for registration can be. this is how ggc ran their last tournament (fall/winter?) and it seemed to work well.

these arent his words verbatim, so please dont come female dog at me if i misunderstood something.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 15, 2009, 01:04:30 PM
Don't make a forum for this. Viciouz is absolutely right, this thing will die before anyone even submits a map. I gauruntee the forums are probably hosted under invisionfree or something, so they're going to look like junk to begin with. Not to mention no one wants to register on a completely different forum for something that could easily be done here.

When a map is submitted, the one submitting it should have something like; "[xMAPCOM] New Map - blahblahblah" And then people will know its for the contest. On top of which, a link to the topic be posted in this thread.

Don't make an entirely new forum. Just don't.
We already did make a new forum but  I can't release the website info yet.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: SkaDooSh on July 15, 2009, 01:13:50 PM
Thx music, and glad to see DT in there invited as a judge
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 15, 2009, 01:16:21 PM
Thx music, and glad to see DT in there as a judge

I think he is just invited...
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: KI3S on July 15, 2009, 03:21:42 PM
Yeah I'd rather have it all on here. If the judges need a place to calculate scores and meet together to talk or something it should be done on IRC or something. A new website and forum is not really needed and will like Vic said probably kill this.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 15, 2009, 04:47:39 PM
We're going to adjust the season lengths depending on the results of the test season. If the maps seem rushed and incomplete, then we will indeed increase the length of each competition. Now, the reason Spring and Spring/Summer competitions are shorter, is that these times are exam times. Most people won't even bother mapping during these months. They are made shorter so that these mappers do not miss out on too much. Also, not every season is guaranteed a competition. These are just season dates.
Its different though for teams like me and Rick.  Its currently winter over here and we don't have holidays currently.  Our breaks are completely different to your, as we get most of december, january and parts of feb off.  Oh and when we have exams its different to yours, ours are in November :).

If you made the seasons 3 months like skies I think said above, it would mean that anything that got in the way, eg exams would only be there for a month and a half at most and still have time after it to complete a map.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Kyuuchi on July 15, 2009, 05:31:32 PM
Don't make a forum for this. Viciouz is absolutely right, this thing will die before anyone even submits a map. I gauruntee the forums are probably hosted under invisionfree or something, so they're going to look like junk to begin with. Not to mention no one wants to register on a completely different forum for something that could easily be done here.

When a map is submitted, the one submitting it should have something like; "[xMAPCOM] New Map - blahblahblah" And then people will know its for the contest. On top of which, a link to the topic be posted in this thread.

Don't make an entirely new forum. Just don't.

Me, being on this committee, totally agree
I dont see the point of totally moving this whole thing - please music, just keep it here - its so much easier

if you really want - create a NEW topic for people to submit maps
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: vague312 on July 15, 2009, 05:44:17 PM
an external forum is not really needed for things like Map Submissions, sign ups, etc. all that can still be done here in the mapping forums. but it would still be nice to have a place for the members to discuss things in private if need be. Depends on how everything is setup.

either way i think the physical map beta threads & Comp threads should remain on the DP mapping forums with some type of tag as rewind suggested. If the comps are geared towards DP Mapping and community input is needed to improve the maps submitted it would only make sense.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 15, 2009, 09:55:42 PM
Well, the website, as I said, was made, but I cannot release the info. We plan to post all of the finished maps on the website, and use a forum for the development parts of the committee so it will kind of make sense to make one...
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 15, 2009, 10:14:33 PM
Its different though for teams like me and Rick.  Its currently winter over here and we don't have holidays currently.  Our breaks are completely different to your, as we get most of december, january and parts of feb off.  Oh and when we have exams its different to yours, ours are in November :).

If you made the seasons 3 months like skies I think said above, it would mean that anything that got in the way, eg exams would only be there for a month and a half at most and still have time after it to complete a map.

Looks like we WILL be altering the schedule to:
Fall : September to November
Winter: December to February
Spring: March to May
Summer: June to August

Me, being on this committee, totally agree
I dont see the point of totally moving this whole thing - please music, just keep it here - its so much easier

if you really want - create a NEW topic for people to submit maps

As I have stated COUNTLESS times, I am NOT trying to replace these forums with the xMAPCOM forums. For lack of a better word, the xMAPCOM site will mainly act as a "Data Center". Please, read all the posts in the thread before you reply.

musickid has told me repeatedly, after i expressed the same idea to him, that he's not trying to replace using the dplogin.com forums. all the main info would remain here while the other forum acts as a supplement, as well as a place for whomevers helping organize to discuss. i got the impression that contest registration might take place on that site, which makes sense considering how chaotic and prone to errors having everyone post a 4line post in a thread for registration can be. this is how ggc ran their last tournament (fall/winter?) and it seemed to work well.

these arent his words verbatim, so please dont come female dog at me if i misunderstood something.

That was EXACTLY what I meant. Thanks, Mewa, for trying to clear things up.

In case you guys haven't noticed, there are 5 threads all started around the same time period, all 5 of them talking about a similar thing, "A Mapping Committee". This will be the last time I say this.

The xMAPCOM Forums will merely be a place to store information for those who want it. It is also an Information Center where previous maps and contest results will be stored for future reference. Committee discussions will be held there, as well. ALL official competition information and announcements WILL be posted HERE on DPLOGIN.COM. Please, do not post any more replies about "not wanting external forums".
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 16, 2009, 12:51:51 PM
if this thing actually gets going good you could probably get a child-board for xMapCom added to the mapping section
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 16, 2009, 10:49:44 PM
Lol, hopefully.

We still need volunteers and candidates for contest judging. If you want to judge or have someone in mind that will make a good, unbiased judge, feel free to give any xMAPCOM member a shout, although we don't guarantee the position.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: SuperMAn on July 17, 2009, 02:53:24 PM
If this is actually going to happen I wouldn't mind being a judge.  Let me know if you want me to.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 17, 2009, 08:52:36 PM
If this is actually going to happen I wouldn't mind being a judge.  Let me know if you want me to.
Superman, you do seem like the type who would be a good non-mapper judge. Maybe a gameplay judge because you are a really good player/jumper/everything else that has to do with gameplay. I hope all of the other xMAPCOM Committee Members agree.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: mewa on July 18, 2009, 01:05:09 AM
naw, he suks. he can barely hop on a crate without his triple jump scripts. you want some noob whos gonna get lost inside the map judging it? might as well move the forums while youre at it too.

i
dont
think
so
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 18, 2009, 06:26:07 PM
I don't know whether or not he uses a dj/tj script or not but you can definitely not deny that Superman is a great player. Plus, he's a committee member, which gives him all the more reason to be a judge. And yes I know you are going to say something like "Oh, that means that Cameron, and AsThor and other Committee Members should be judges. Well no, I don't mean that.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 18, 2009, 06:27:52 PM
I don't know whether or not he uses a dj/tj script or not but you can definitely not deny that Superman is a great player. Plus, he's a committee member, which gives him all the more reason to be a judge. And yes I know you are going to say something like "Oh, that means that Cameron, and AsThor and other Committee Members should be judges. Well no, I don't mean that.

Cameron and Asthor should be judges, Cameron maps ........
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 18, 2009, 06:36:43 PM
Cameron and Asthor should be judges, Cameron maps ........
I was meaning that Mewa would think that every single Committee Member would be a judge, and I was just giving examples.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 18, 2009, 06:56:31 PM
Cameron and Asthor should be judges, Cameron maps ........
Not this round I won't be as I am making a map with Rick, but after it I wouldn't mind being a Judge.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on July 18, 2009, 06:59:40 PM
Not this round I won't be as I am making a map with Rick, but after it I wouldn't mind being a Judge.

BUT YOU SUCK?|?| :):)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 18, 2009, 07:50:07 PM
BUT YOU SUCK?|?| :):)
;D.  I still have only made a box, but I'm working on it more now :).
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 18, 2009, 08:43:42 PM
Hey, it's a start :D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 18, 2009, 09:34:34 PM
Hey, it's a start :D
I found a texture, then remembered I have a maths assignment due on monday, so I added one texture to the box :).
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 18, 2009, 10:00:01 PM
I found a texture, then remembered I have a maths assignment due on monday, so I added one texture to the box :).
OMG!!!! YOU ARE ALMOST DONE!!!
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 19, 2009, 06:20:24 AM
OMG!!!! YOU ARE ALMOST DONE!!!
Mhm :).  I'll finish the box and call it undergroundspawninabox ;D.  Man, for the idea that we have, its gonna take a while.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 19, 2009, 12:05:18 PM
NO. YOU NEED A ROCK IN IT, SO YOU NEED TO CALL IT undergroundspawninaboxwitharockinit.bsp XD
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on July 19, 2009, 12:14:51 PM
I hate you guys. I was actually going to make a second submission called spawninarock.bsp :(
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Kyuuchi on July 19, 2009, 12:20:36 PM
spawninarock rofl :D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 19, 2009, 12:28:22 PM
:D That could work. Although it wouldn't win b.c it needs an underground theme XD
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Henrod on July 19, 2009, 11:04:17 PM
This is not a committe. It is a group of people who call themselves a committee even though they have no rights, authority, governance, research duties, or coordination. Good luck with having absolutely no bearing, presence, or affect on the game.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 19, 2009, 11:09:37 PM
This is not a committe. It is a group of people who call themselves a committee even though they have no rights, authority, governance, research duties, or coordination. Good luck with having absolutely no bearing, presence, or affect on the game.

You have absolutely got to love some of the encouraging opinions we have in here.
I mean, seriously. Do you have to post every single flaming, negative reply you think of? There are some things that you need to keep to yourself. If you have no faith in this group, feel free to PM any of the members. Don't start a flame war blatantly stating your useless opinion.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Henrod on July 19, 2009, 11:43:01 PM
You have absolutely got to love some of the encouraging opinions we have in here.
I mean, seriously. Do you have to post every single flaming, negative reply you think of? There are some things that you need to keep to yourself. If you have no faith in this group, feel free to PM any of the members. Don't start a flame war blatantly stating your useless opinion.

Perhaps its the way you present yourself that provokes this negativity. At least thats the only reason I thought this was a joke to begin with. You aren't a committee and you have no authority. So how about you call yourselves anything other than a committee. I have absolutely no problem or interest in what you are doing here, just thought your verbage was misleading and incorrect.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Justinph5 on July 19, 2009, 11:44:47 PM
as with my post (which got deleted) its nothing about the members, its about making it a self proclaimed "official" committee. I think whats trying to get done is great, just the term being used.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Spook on July 19, 2009, 11:56:52 PM
The committee for the game is already a joke, so why get bent out of shape over a more organized committee for judging maps?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Henrod on July 20, 2009, 12:07:47 AM
The committee for the game is already a joke, so why get bent out of shape over a more organized committee for judging maps?

Already expained that as well as the fact that this isn't a committee. Just wanted to make clear that this is a group acting on its own without any official capacity. I applaud your efforts and hope you accomplish whatever it is you are trying to do.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 20, 2009, 12:30:09 AM
If I have said and used the term "committee" for xMAPCOM, then I apologize. But xMAPCOM stands for Extreme Mapping Competitions. I am also not implying that this organization is the "Official Mapping Committee" of DP. Forgive me if what I said before has misguided you.
However, I am still defending the fact that some people have solidified their opinions about this organization, that we can accomplish nothing.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 20, 2009, 09:29:21 AM
You can’t accomplish anything in life unless you try. You are never going to be happy with your work unless your give it your all. All I’m saying is just give it a try, you might like it.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rewind on July 20, 2009, 10:57:14 AM
has a group of judges even been determined yet? Because if the people who are 'running' this are the ones who are judging I have a serious problem. Minus music, he seems to be more respectable than the others.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 20, 2009, 03:55:01 PM
Im not even gunna be a judge Rewind. No worries :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on July 20, 2009, 07:43:07 PM
has a group of judges even been determined yet? Because if the people who are 'running' this are the ones who are judging I have a serious problem. Minus music, he seems to be more respectable than the others.

Respect is a strong word, I "respect" everyone on this game and forum, sure i may not like them, Respect is totally different then not liking someone, For example if i make a newmap, then i get totally flamed, I will not like that. But i respect what they say and i look at what they said and try to fix it, If you think you don't respect any of us but musik, You would not have signed up, but you looked through what we have said and you yourself signed up, Thats out of respect for us, Lets say nick123 made the greatest map ever, And no one takes the time to look a it because, You think you don't respect him for his other maps, And he wants to show he can map to get respect, which is making you an ass. This is a game, why or how can you not respect ME or anyone else trying to do this, We are starting this competition out of respect for people like you and everyone else can learn to map and get new maps with a different variety, BUT you don't respect us and you come in here to act like a baddie and tell us, You don't respect us, If you don't respect us DON'T STAY IN THIS THREAD! and of course me and musik aint judging we are making a map, So please read because right now all you are doing is being a pain in the ass.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 20, 2009, 08:00:39 PM
You know what I'm wondering? (This has nothing to do with Robbie's post) Why everyone can't just give this a try, I mean, UDead is 100% right when he says:
You can’t accomplish anything in life unless you try. All I’m saying is just give it a try, you might like it.
People are just not willing to try it. Are you afraid of something new in the DP Community? If you are afraid of something new in any category of life, whether it's marriage, online paintball games, sports, school or anything else, the truth is, you aren't going anywhere. Some of you might say you aren't, but in truth, the people who are against this competition ARE afraid of new things.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 20, 2009, 09:47:21 PM
has a group of judges even been determined yet? Because if the people who are 'running' this are the ones who are judging I have a serious problem. Minus music, he seems to be more respectable than the others.

Don't worry. The people running this competition will not be judges. We have already recieved quite a large number of people that are willing to judge.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 21, 2009, 05:35:47 AM
Important News:
Attention Competitors! Do not include your name in any part of the map. The only thing competitors can have in the map loading screen (worldspawn message) is the map name and the (will-be) assigned entry number.

Why's this?


Invited and Volunteered (Unconfirmed) Judges:
- skitzo (v)
- SuperMAn (v)
- CoolGuY (v)
- MyeRs (v)
- Kaos

Is Kaos already a confirmed judge?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 21, 2009, 05:51:34 AM
I will shoot myself in the head if one of those people is a Judge.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on July 21, 2009, 06:02:23 AM
May as well take off coolguy, thats chris123 right?

Seeing as Cameron and I both don't have any time to map, we will be pulling out of this seasons? mapping contest. Hopefully we will be entering the next contest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 21, 2009, 06:53:39 AM
May as well take off coolguy, thats chris123 right?
Yeh, it is.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: skitzo on July 21, 2009, 08:53:52 AM
I will shoot myself in the head if one of those people is a Judge.

even me? =[
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 21, 2009, 09:05:55 AM
Seeing as Cameron and I both don't have any time to map, we will be pulling out of this seasons? mapping contest. Hopefully we will be entering the next contest.

:/ I started mine yesterday, it's 50% ready:D But i don't know if i ditch it...
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 21, 2009, 10:31:37 AM
Why's this?

Is Kaos already a confirmed judge?

So judging will be anonymous and unbiased.

My mistake, forgot to add (v) at the end.

To Rick and Cameron: if you two aren't competing, would you think about being judges?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 21, 2009, 11:39:34 AM
So judging will be anonymous and unbiased.

It's still easy to just tell the judge which map is yours. Also, does this mean that the map can't have public beta stage?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 21, 2009, 04:57:59 PM
To Rick and Cameron: if you two aren't competing, would you think about being judges?
I wouldn't mind doing that, I can find the time to do that sort of stuff.  I just don't have the time currently to sit down and think how to design a map, neither does Rick.

:/ I started mine yesterday, it's 50% ready:D But i don't know if i ditch it...
You'll do good then :).  Just keep going, you've got another month :P.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 21, 2009, 06:34:19 PM
well cameron, hope to see you judging, and good luck. musik, have your released the site yet?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on July 21, 2009, 08:08:52 PM
even me? =[
Your cool :).  You'd be fine on that list :P.  Theres just someone that has no idea about anything on there....
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on July 22, 2009, 01:45:09 AM
To Rick and Cameron: if you two aren't competing, would you think about being judges?

I'd be happy to judge.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 02:16:45 AM
It's still easy to just tell the judge which map is yours. Also, does this mean that the map can't have public beta stage?

Well, so it's MORE anonymous and unbiased. lol
Well, I say contestants submit their entry first, sending it to any xMAPCOM member. Judges will rate the recieved maps.
Then, after results are announced, mappers are free to do whatever they want with the map. Not sure if that answered your question.

As to Rick and Cameron, thanks a lot. Hope you guys do join the next contest. It's going to be truly magical. lol


Few Important Updates:

Judging System
2 Mappers will rate the "Inner" map. This includes "Creativity and Technicality".
2 Matchers will rate the "Outer" map. This includes "Appearance and Gameplay".
The 2 judges on either side will give an overall rating for their criteria. The scores will be combined for an overall map rating.

Current (But still Temporary) List of Judges:
Rick - mapper
Cameron - mapper
Superman - matcher
Skitzo - matcher


if you need more information regarding xMAPCOM and its competitions, visit paintball2.vague312.com
Updates are made daily.
We remind you, the site is an information center. Not a replacement for dplogin.com
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 22, 2009, 03:13:38 AM
Well, so it's MORE anonymous and unbiased. lol
Well, I say contestants submit their entry first, sending it to any xMAPCOM member. Judges will rate the recieved maps.
Then, after results are announced, mappers are free to do whatever they want with the map. Not sure if that answered your question.

This would work if you'd keep the judges anonymous too. People couldn't just PM specific person "Hey, this is my map!" But we'll see how it works out :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 22, 2009, 03:26:47 AM
a. Name of Mapper(s): JeeJee and blaa
b. Method of Contact: irc
c. Date of Registration: july 13 2009

Little change above.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 08:29:35 AM
This would work if you'd keep the judges anonymous too. People couldn't just PM specific person "Hey, this is my map!" But we'll see how it works out :)

We can't. If we don't announce the judges, a LOT of people will (and already have, regardless) complain about having crappy judges. They'll complain about how the "useless" and "respectless" members of xMAPCOM have judged unfairly and poorly.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 22, 2009, 08:31:40 AM
We could make a rule about if you get caught trying to get a judged to give you a better rating than others to be disqualified and maybe temporary not allowed to enter the next contest or something.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Fuzz Ball on July 22, 2009, 08:34:19 AM
We could make a rule about if you get caught trying to get a judged to give you a better rating than others to be disqualified and maybe temporary not allowed to enter the next contest or something.

But how would you find out? The only way I could think is a trend in their voting, but then you still don't know for sure whether they're voting on what they really think of the map or cheating.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 08:36:12 AM
Well, I'm sure we all trust and respect the current (but still not confirmed) list of judges. We all know they'll be fair to everyone. (Hopefully lol)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 22, 2009, 08:39:51 AM
I don't know it was just an idea; maybe the judge is true full and honest, and they will tell one of us.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Fuzz Ball on July 22, 2009, 08:40:46 AM
Well, I'm sure we all trust and respect the current (but still not confirmed) list of judges. We all know they'll be fair to everyone. (Hopefully lol)

True pretty much all the judges are reliable. The judging panel has been chosen wisely  :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 22, 2009, 08:42:38 AM
To the guys who are complaining:
Just let us do our thing. It'll work out in the end with fair judges and everything you've hoped for. (I/We hope)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 08:43:59 AM
True pretty much all the judges are reliable. The judging panel has been chosen wisely  :)

Not to mention they're all good at what they do. XD
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 22, 2009, 08:47:49 AM
Your right musik :D I think all of the xMAPCOM Members have chosen very wisely :) I don't (and you, UDead, Kyuuchi and all the other members) really give a crap about what people outside the 'committee' (yw Justinph5) are saying about the judges, how it won't work, and all the other bullsh*t they are saying.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 08:55:08 AM
Well at least right now, these guys can't complain about the judging panel. I'm sure they'll find something else to moan and cry about though, regardless of how well we're actually doing right now. Don't forget people. This is merely the TEST competition. We've already got most of the big details worked out. Future contests should run pretty smoothly.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 22, 2009, 08:58:45 AM
Thinks are going nice and smoth right now, so where doing good right now.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 22, 2009, 09:02:42 AM
Well at least right now, these guys can't complain about the judging panel. I'm sure they'll find something else to moan and cry about though, regardless of how well we're actually doing right now. Don't forget people. This is merely the TEST competition. We've already got most of the big details worked out. Future contests should run pretty smoothly.
Thinks are going nice and smoth right now, so where doing good right now.
True and true. Some idiots just come in here and piss me off when they run their mouths into the ground and start complaining about how this isn't gunna work... (Mewa) It just gets really annoying.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 09:04:00 AM
True and true. Some idiots just come in here and piss me off when they run their mouths into the ground and start complaining about how this isn't gunna work... (Mewa) It just gets really annoying.

At least Mewa provides actual, helpful feedback. Some other people merely complain. Now, enough talking in this thread, we're surprisingly up to 7 pages already! It's not even halfway through the contest!
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 22, 2009, 09:09:04 AM
Anyone else have any imput about what we are talking about?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 22, 2009, 09:09:45 AM
To the guys who are complaining:
Just let us do our thing. It'll work out in the end with fair judges and everything you've hoped for. (I/We hope)

Nobody is complaining, atleast not me. I just stated my opinion.

But for the real deal, when we get these entry number and where we'll be submitting our maps?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 09:13:55 AM
I'll be posting a more detailed reply later on in the contest, but here's what we're doing so far.

Each group will be getting an entry number from an xMAPCOM member 1-2 weeks before the end of the contest. They'll have to include that entry number in their map's worldspawn message. We're talking about if we should send entry numbers on request, just in case some mappers are finished early and want to get it over with. There are some problems with that idea though.
Each entry will have to be sent, emailed, anything, to any xMAPCOM member in the format of a zip, including all the necessary contents. From there, the playable map (.bsp) file will be sent to the judges for rating.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 22, 2009, 09:20:24 AM
The necessary content should be any textures they used that we might not have; any sounds or models stuff like that.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 09:21:56 AM
The necessary content should be any textures they used that we might not have; any sounds or models stuff like that.

Again, I'll be posting further details on that later on in the competition. But he's right, it mainly contains the map itself along with its textures, models and sounds.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 22, 2009, 09:23:40 AM
I'll be posting a more detailed reply later on in the contest, but here's what we're doing so far.

Each group will be getting an entry number from an xMAPCOM member 1-2 weeks before the end of the contest. They'll have to include that entry number in their map's worldspawn message. We're talking about if we should send entry numbers on request, just in case some mappers are finished early and want to get it over with. There are some problems with that idea though.
Each entry will have to be sent, emailed, anything, to any xMAPCOM member in the format of a zip, including all the necessary contents. From there, the playable map (.bsp) file will be sent to the judges for rating.

.map file not needed? On a side note, i think my map could be ready at the weekend. Rick fixed the triangulation error fro my other map so i think i can fix it from this.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 22, 2009, 09:27:29 AM
Ok, cool can't wait to see how it looks. Keep up the good work and have fun.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 09:31:43 AM
.map file not needed? On a side note, i think my map could be ready at the weekend. Rick fixed the triangulation error fro my other map so i think i can fix it from this.

It will be needed. Guess I'll post a list of what's needed here and now.

Map Pack (Please give the zip pack the same name as your map. This will help the general organization of the entries.)
- playable map file (.bsp)
- editable map file (.map)
- necessary textures, models and sounds
(the above three should be put into the eight folders for zip extraction convenience)
- notepad (.txt) file including map name, short map description, mapper name, entry number


I think that's it for now.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 22, 2009, 09:48:59 AM
Map Pack (Please give the zip pack the same name as your map. This will help the general organization of the entries.)
- playable map file (.bsp)
- editable map file (.map)
- necessary textures, models and sounds
(the above three should be put into the eight folders for zip extraction convenience)
- notepad (.txt) file including map name, short map description, mapper name, entry number


I feel confuzled. You say we can't put our names to the map's title, but you're asking a .txt file with the same info?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 09:53:15 AM
I feel confuzled. You say we can't put our names to the map's title, but you're asking a .txt file with the same info?

The ONLY things we'll be giving to the judges are the two mapfiles, none of which should contain the mapper's name. The .txt file is for further information on the map for the xMAPCOM members.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on July 22, 2009, 10:30:51 AM
This is really a bit complex isn't it? All to try and eliminate judge bias? If a judge cared enough it wouldn't be hard to find out who had made the map just by asking around. This also prevents public betas, which means that it is likely the maps will be released with unforeseen bugs and may not be updated. I wanted to show screens of my map :(
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on July 22, 2009, 10:42:59 AM
This is really a bit complex isn't it? All to try and eliminate judge bias? If a judge cared enough it wouldn't be hard to find out who had made the map just by asking around. This also prevents public betas, which means that it is likely the maps will be released with unforeseen bugs and may not be updated. I wanted to show screens of my map :(

I agree with Vic, and as far this is a test, don't go too formal. Imo, this should be more like having fun than a "serious competition". Part of the fun falls away when i can't spam to other peoples beta threads :(

Btw, i almost have my map done:D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 10:54:44 AM
This is really a bit complex isn't it? All to try and eliminate judge bias? If a judge cared enough it wouldn't be hard to find out who had made the map just by asking around. This also prevents public betas, which means that it is likely the maps will be released with unforeseen bugs and may not be updated. I wanted to show screens of my map :(

That's true. Guess we'll just eliminate that rule then. XD
Feel free to do whatever with your map. If you're going to cheat, I only have one thing to say to you. Don't get caught. lol
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on July 22, 2009, 11:40:21 AM
You also have to think, this is a test run and things can change like that rule or not. If that rule goes terribly bad we might take it off, but we don’t know yet. Good to hear more than one or two people almost done, keep up the good work and hope to see your map soon, good luck to all.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 22, 2009, 12:24:13 PM
I don't think the judging will work right... You have 2 mappers judging mapping aspects of each map, and you have 2 matchers testing gameplay and appearance, but you can't really test gameplay with just 2 judges. A 1v1... doubt many of the maps will be made for that, even a 2v2 will all the judges I feel will fall short of truly testing a maps gameplay.

Also, who wants to release a map that doesn't(disallowed) have their name on it. Also when you release your map, even if it is easier for you to tell whos map it is, who would want an entry number etc and xMapcom in their message >.>

If you just let people put their names on it, then you wouldn't need a number.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 22, 2009, 12:28:51 PM
I don't think the judging will work right... You have 2 mappers judging mapping aspects of each map, and you have 2 matchers testing gameplay and appearance, but you can't really test gameplay with just 2 judges. A 1v1... doubt many of the maps will be made for that, even a 2v2 will all the judges I feel will fall short of truly testing a maps gameplay.

Also, who wants to release a map that doesn't(disallowed) have their name on it. Also when you release your map, even if it is easier for you to tell whos map it is, who would want an entry number etc and xMapcom in their message >.>

If you just let people put their names on it, then you wouldn't need a number.

Well, the 2 matching judges could give me a list of people that they would invite for a private "test match" on the map. Once of us would have to ok it first though.
And I already decided to eliminate that rule, due to the lack of thinking in that perspective on my part.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: aircrew on July 22, 2009, 06:05:47 PM
a)aircrew
b)icq,email,irc
c)23/7/2009
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 23, 2009, 03:23:30 PM
a. RiMiNi
b. irc (aintplayinballbutimballinfosho) #team_1311
c. July 23, 2009

Idk if i will actually submit a map, but it's probably a good idea to register just in case :)


EDIT:
so i have a question about my map, but the people running this are also mapping so who am I to show my map to to answer my question
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 24, 2009, 10:27:32 PM
LOL. You can ask anyone, this is not really an extremely competitive contest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 25, 2009, 09:06:49 AM
You can show me :P I'm only a xMAPCOM Member so im not a judge or anything.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: MyeRs on July 25, 2009, 12:46:41 PM
When do we figure out who the judges will be?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 25, 2009, 12:52:05 PM
We still have a little more than a month to go, so they will be determined sooner or later.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on July 25, 2009, 05:46:13 PM
LOL. You can ask anyone, this is not really an extremely competitive contest.

what? but i thought it was EXTREME MAPPING COMPETITIONS :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 25, 2009, 10:17:47 PM
what? but i thought it was EXTREME MAPPING COMPETITIONS :)

AAAAAH! MY HEAD!!!! STOP CONFUSING ME!!!!!


Most likely, the current list of judges will be confirmed. They are more than respectful and fair, and should make good candidates.

To clarify:
Rick and Cameron (mappers)
Superman and Skitzo (matchers)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 27, 2009, 09:28:42 AM
Most likely, the current list of judges will be confirmed. They are more than respectful and fair, and should make good candidates.

To clarify:
Rick and Cameron (mappers)
Superman and Skitzo (matchers)

Great choice musik. This should be a great test run :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 29, 2009, 10:29:53 PM
The Checkpoint Date is coming up in a few days. Chances for mappers to still enter the contest will close up as soon as it reaches August 3rd in GMT time. During the period of that day, xMAPCOM members will be checking with participating contestants on the progress of their submissions. A good idea would be to PM anyone from xMAPCOM just to confirm their entry in the contest. Thanks.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 29, 2009, 10:33:43 PM
OMG... I WON'T BE HERE FOR THAT... I'M GOING ON A FAMILY VACATION FROM FRIDAY-SOMEWHERE AROUND SAT/SUN OF THE NEXT WEEK!
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on July 29, 2009, 10:41:43 PM
Relax, it's just a checkpoint date. Not the actual submission date. You won't miss anything.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on July 29, 2009, 10:43:55 PM
Ok good lol I got a little scared there :P
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBiNandL!nk on August 02, 2009, 09:43:53 PM
hah i still havent gotten started i have no ideas on underground  maps may i please get a new partner?? since hes banned... (also doesnt know anything about mapping)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on August 02, 2009, 09:46:32 PM
hah i still havent gotten started i have no ideas on underground  maps may i please get a new partner?? since hes banned... (also doesnt know anything about mapping)

Sure you can change at anytime
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: SkaDooSh on August 02, 2009, 10:08:31 PM
My team will be dropping out, we are working on it, but it's not coming on time, we will release the map later probably months after this contest :P
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on August 02, 2009, 10:16:34 PM
My team will be dropping out, we are working on it, but it's not coming on time, we will release the map later probably months after this contest :P

Directed to Skadoosh - That is fine


Directed to all participants - It would be greatly appreciated if screenshots of your entry can be shown, mainly to keep the community's interest in this contest high and to show everyone the progress they have made. Again, to clarify the issue, no plagurism or cheating is allowed, including the copying of another contestant's ideas. Anyone caught cheating will be disqualified from the current competition with a warning. Another offence will result in a ban from any xMAPCOM contest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBiNandL!nk on August 03, 2009, 03:04:09 AM
err may you please make my new partner (Rimini)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 03, 2009, 03:51:53 AM
So to confirm, Rimini and RoBiNandL!nk will be combining entries?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBiNandL!nk on August 03, 2009, 04:00:18 AM
yes on my part rimini maybe tomorrow he  isnt on this late
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 03, 2009, 04:02:46 AM
Alright, I will wait for Rimini's confirmation before I edit my first post.

Note: It is now the halfway point of the contest. We hope that all the contestants have reached a suitable point in their entry.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on August 03, 2009, 09:45:55 PM
yeah we're together.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 04, 2009, 05:42:22 PM
cant wait to see what you guys came up with, hopefully these can go on some server right away after judging.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on August 06, 2009, 10:40:25 AM
What's the exact date when judging starts and maps must been submitted?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on August 06, 2009, 12:44:00 PM
Submission Date: August 29 2009

:D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on August 07, 2009, 01:16:03 AM
Still 3 weeks??!!?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBiNandL!nk on August 07, 2009, 02:40:02 AM
well look whos talking im not even close with mine and riminis i MIGHT finish in time
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 07, 2009, 06:40:47 AM
People can start handing in their submissions 1 week before the submission due date (which is August 29), so if your map is done, you can send it to any xMAPCOM member (hopefully the more active ones) after August 22.

You can send your entry to me via email or xfire, (music-kid_im-lovin-it@hotmail.com or Musik999) if you want. But please, AFTER August 22. It's still way too early.

We have a creative and entertaining idea to reveal the results of the contest, but it requires all the contestants and anyone else interested to post their time zone. Thank you.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on August 07, 2009, 03:14:21 PM
Sorry I missed the cutoff date. I just for back from my weeklong vacation in Cape Cod (for all you New Englanders out there, you know what it is)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 11, 2009, 12:15:26 PM
Hm. I haven't updated this thread lately. Been quite busy. And no, xMAPCOM is not dead. Not while I'm alive.

Important Edit


Title: xMAPCOM 2009 Summer Season
Theme: Underground
Object: Rock
Submission Period: August 22 2009 - August 29 2009
Judging Period: August 27 2009 - August 31 2009

Judges:
Rick and Cameron (Mapping Aspects)
SuperMan and Skitzo (Gameplay Aspects)

Entries:
Robbie and Musik
Spook
Rimini and RoBiNHooD
RewinD
ViciouZ
JeeJee and blaa
Putt-Putt and ic3y
aircrew

As soon as the Submission Period begins, contestants may start to post their map on the forums. Make sure it is clear that the map is an entry for xMAPCOM Summer 09.

The pack must include:
Final Compiled Playable Map (.bsp)
Necessary Materials (textures, sounds, models)
Notepad File with the following:
Name of Mapper(s)
Name of Map
Brief Description of Map

The announcement of the contest results will be happening in a few possible ways.
One. A creative splash picture of the winning entry, along with details of the results will be posted on the forums.
Two. If we get enough time and support, a live announcement on a public server. We realize there are time issues with this way, but a demo could be provided for those curious to see but were unable to participate.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 12, 2009, 09:17:48 AM
musik, if you need help I mght be able to help take mpas in but i'm not sure yet, be movin into my dorm soon.

My Xfire name is: UDead0
My Email is: foxxman11@yahoo.com, if you send it to me please put what subject, name and all that stuff so I don’t put it in spam folder or get deleted.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on August 12, 2009, 10:57:03 AM
People can start handing in their submissions 1 week before the submission due date (which is August 29), so if your map is done, you can send it to any xMAPCOM member (hopefully the more active ones) after August 22.
XFire is pheeks
E-Mail is cclancy27@gmail.com
(Incase any of you decide to send it to me)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on August 12, 2009, 12:44:15 PM
I think all members should look, like the mapper submits it to musik, then musik shows all of the members. That would make more sense to me
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: cusoman on August 12, 2009, 02:12:12 PM
I don't like how this is set up. Changes I would make immediately.

1.  Only place to release the map is on the forums. So the entire community can see all maps, and so the entrant can get feedback as usual. None of this Submission personnel mumbo-jumbo.

2.  You should never have to give your .map away.  Honestly if you cannot tell the difference between a stolen map and unique map then you should not be a judge.

3.  Why do people need to say if they are entering?  Just have a release date and let anyone who makes a map enter a map on the forums by that date, like the previous contests.

4. Because of the theme you chose, you are going to get a bunch of caves with similar texture sets.  This cannot really be changed now :/

W/E.  The above reasons basically explain why I am not participating :/

-Cusoman

Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on August 12, 2009, 02:19:15 PM
4. Because of the theme you chose, you are going to get a bunch of caves with similar texture sets.  This cannot really be changed now :/

I agree with Cuso more or less, but this one is more up to the mappers. If 8 of 10 mappers are making caves or similar and the 2 remaining will do something different and unique, either one of the 2 will propably win the contest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on August 12, 2009, 02:30:13 PM
I don't like how this is set up. Changes I would make immediately.

1.  Only place to release the map is on the forums. So the entire community can see all maps, and so the entrant can get feedback as usual. None of this Submission personnel mumbo-jumbo.

2.  You should never have to give your .map away.  Honestly if you cannot tell the difference between a stolen map and unique map then you should not be a judge.

3.  Why do people need to say if they are entering?  Just have a release date and let anyone who makes a map enter a map on the forums by that date, like the previous contests.

4. Because of the theme you chose, you are going to get a bunch of caves with similar texture sets.  This cannot really be changed now :/

W/E.  The above reasons basically explain why I am not participating :/

-Cusoman

TBH, I agree with every point of Cusoman's post.

1. The GGC mapping contest only had mappers post on these forums which worked well, also to identify them as a GGC contest map they named their thread title accordingly.

2. I think I've already made a post about this in this thread, but to recap, if you can't tell whether clip brushes were used or if there are misaligned brushes etc., without looking at a .map file, then you shouldn't be judging the mapping aspects.

3. Yes, having to have the xMAPCOM in your 'message' shouldn't be neccessary. As long as you release on the forums with an appropriate thread title, you should be able to figure out that the map is for the contest.

4. Although I chose to compete, I wasn't particularily fond of the theme either. With our current texture set, most mappers inability to create custom textures, and the theme's overall failure to draw original and creative maps from the contestants, only a minimum of the maps submitted will be very unique.

+1 Cuso, but I'm still participating :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 12, 2009, 05:17:59 PM
i agree that you should not have to give out your .map file.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on August 12, 2009, 05:21:05 PM
i agree that you should not have to give out your .map file.
Definitely. It'll just lead to someone making a copy of your map, which will not be good.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 12, 2009, 06:51:07 PM
Even though the xmapcom would not do that, just incase its gets in to the wrong people or gets misplaced somewhere.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on August 12, 2009, 08:50:38 PM
i agree no .map, also we should release on the forum no personal bs...
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on August 12, 2009, 09:38:36 PM
i agree no .map, also we should release on the forum no personal bs...
I don't think that would be a good idea because then it'll someone will dl it and start critiquing it before the judges get to and it will get extremely annoying
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on August 12, 2009, 09:45:32 PM
Who cares if someone else posts comments on it? In the end it's going to be the judges decision anyways.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 12, 2009, 10:44:42 PM
Rofl, just thought that the judging should be done before the map gets released, so the judges can rate them without any bias.
As for the .map file, the only people that would have had a copy of it would have been me or the mapping judges. We're all pretty trustworthy, but if you all insist on not wanting to provide it, be my guest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on August 13, 2009, 06:52:31 AM
Personally I am all in favour of releasing .map files - they are useful to learn from, not to mention the fact that their release means may dissuade mappers from making any really cheap hacks when other people will see them.

I don't see why we have to send the maps to an xmapcom member, seeing as they aren't judging the maps anyway. Just release them on the forums.

And on the point about all the maps being similar, I think everyone has either done a cave or a bunker. Maybe somebody has done a silo. That might be nice.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on August 13, 2009, 07:01:49 AM
Rimini, I haven't seen you in ages :(

Come.
To.
Australia.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on August 13, 2009, 09:53:00 AM
Ok, like musik said, we should change it to not having to privide your mapfile, but if you want to you can.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: idias on August 13, 2009, 10:04:52 AM
Can the .map files be sent to judges and only after the season is over released on the forums?
I agree that releasing them would make most people copy eachothers maps and not learning from them, but I also agree in some of of the things pointed out by viciouz, but still think that the maps shouldn't be immediately released.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 13, 2009, 10:08:59 AM
Can’t you just post a thread on your map with the right info for the contest and then immediately locks the thread so no one can post any bio against the map or mapper, then unlock the thread after all judging is over?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: pheeks on August 13, 2009, 10:29:11 AM
I don't think that would be a good idea b.c then only like... 1 mapper would be able to post his/her map on this thread, then it would get locked.

EDIT: Oh, you were talking about starting a new thread.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 13, 2009, 10:36:43 AM
I don't think you can unlock threads. But officially, let's just make the .map file optional, or if you really want actual technical feedback using the .map file and don't trust any of the xMAPCOM members, send it directly to the judges themselves.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on August 13, 2009, 04:42:07 PM
Directed to all participants - It would be greatly appreciated if screenshots of your entry can be shown, mainly to keep the community's interest in this contest high and to show everyone the progress they have made.

Seeing as nobody else has done this yet, and I'm an self-absorbed arse, I put some previews up at my new blog (http://viciouz.co.uk/) (how original).
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 13, 2009, 06:29:22 PM
nice site.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RoBbIe on August 13, 2009, 09:59:48 PM
Seeing as nobody else has done this yet, and I'm an self-absorbed arse, I put some previews up at my new blog (http://viciouz.co.uk/) (how original).

Looks nice, lets hope it plays well :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on August 13, 2009, 10:49:58 PM
Viciouz, that's sexy! I too, hope it plays well. The rain is put me in awe, it's just a perfect touch. I didn't get a chance to tell you how good it looked on IRC previously, since you d/c before i say something, but this looks really good! :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on August 14, 2009, 01:59:25 AM
Viciouz, that's sexy! I too, hope it plays well. The rain is put me in awe, it's just a perfect touch. I didn't get a chance to tell you how good it looked on IRC previously, since you d/c before i say something, but this looks really good! :)
Way to not like me Rimini.

So whats the big deal about posting .map files, it helps people learn, the judges can see the techinicality of the map and it's not like downloading a .map file is the only way to get it...(If thats why you don't want to post them).

Also pheeks, What is the big problem about posting .map files?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 14, 2009, 04:30:56 AM
Personally, I don't see what's the problem with releasing .map files either. If your map is decent but boring, then who would really look at it? If your map is amazing and people want to learn, then they can take a look and learn from it. Unless you have missile launch codes in your .map, why not release it and allow people to explore? If your map has a secret, then make another version of the .map without the secret, and release the alternate version.

But meh, my opinion. Seems a lot of people are against releasing the .map source.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 14, 2009, 06:29:46 AM
Nothing against anyone’s opinion, but honestly its up to the mapper if he or she feels like they can trust whoever get there map and weather they want to include there .map file, but that’s my opinion.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on August 14, 2009, 07:27:44 AM
Looks nice, lets hope it plays well :)

Yeah, that's the problem :P

I'm looking for somebody to help get it properly playable, right now it's just awkward. Not sure if that's allowed though, the rules said something about declaring all participants by a certain date?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on August 14, 2009, 08:01:26 AM

Nothing against anyone’s opinion, but honestly its up to the mapper if he or she feels like they can trust whoever get there map and weather they want to include there .map file, but that’s my opinion.

10. Entries must be submitted in the following format to any xMAPCOM member.
   a. Name of Mapper(s)
   b. Name of Map
   c. Brief Description of Map
   d. Date of Submission
   e. Any Necessary Materials (textures, sounds, models)
   f. Compiled Map in .bsp format
   g. Final Version of Map in .map format
11. Entries must be recieved by any xMAPCOM member before the cutoff time. A confirmation will be sent upon recieval.

It was in the rules that the .map file had to be supplied. Everyone signed up knowing this..
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 14, 2009, 08:48:16 AM
With musik and the xmapcom members, rules can be changed by the owner, but I don’t know what rule book you go by, many people have different views on it and they are titled to that.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on August 14, 2009, 08:52:04 AM
With musik and the xmapcom members, rules can be changed by the owner, but I don’t know what rule book you go by, many people have different views on it and they are titled to that.
I go by the rules on the first page.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on August 14, 2009, 09:23:38 AM
Seeing as nobody else has done this yet, and I'm an self-absorbed arse, I put some previews up at my new blog (http://viciouz.co.uk/) (how original).

Oh crap



Hehe, atleast someone else uses groups too, not just me :P
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on August 14, 2009, 09:29:33 AM
Oh crap



Hehe, atleast someone else uses groups too, not just me :P

Yeah I get so confused without groups :D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 14, 2009, 01:37:20 PM
Seeing as this is only the first contest, pretty much anything goes. We need to see what works and what doesn't, and fix them for the next contest. We're already discussing rules for the next contest, as it'll be right around the corner. So right now, let's keep the .map files optional. If a lot of people include them, then we can make it required without making it too much of a hassle.

As to ViciouZ's post, the "Sign Up Deadline" was mainly so we had a general idea of how many people were participating. If we didn't have that, and no one bothered to post saying that they were entering, we'd have no clue how many entries we were going to recieve, if not any at all.

Sorry if this contest seemed completely unorganized. There have been a lot of problems and rule changing, but that'll be fixed for the coming contests.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 14, 2009, 01:52:43 PM
This competition just started not to long ago so not everything is going to be organized completely.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 15, 2009, 02:36:41 PM
We need opinions on how to announce the results of the contest. We can either edit my first post on this thread and attach a nice splash page announcing the winner, or we can announce it live in a server. We can also do both. However, without anyone telling us which we should do, we don't know what would benefit you guys the most. As for the time zone problems, even though it wouldn't be as fun, we can record a demo and post it on this thread as well. Please reply to this. Anyone.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: _burnt on August 15, 2009, 02:39:38 PM
or we can announce it live in a server.

What do you mean by this?

I think it would be enough if you'd post the results and few comments from judges, if they want to give any, to this thread.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 15, 2009, 06:46:58 PM
I like your idead JeeJee but ensted of this thread, make a new thread names something like results of __ __ contest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on August 15, 2009, 07:50:27 PM
I think it would be enough if you'd post the results and few comments from judges, if they want to give any, to this thread.

If they want to give any, no, they are judging a competition. The contestants deserve comments and the reasons why the judges chose the winning map.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on August 15, 2009, 08:49:00 PM
Are these comments going to be essay length like the GGC ones?  I hate writing essay length things :(.  I play spot the obvious :P.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: idias on August 15, 2009, 08:59:55 PM
Think that just a few things are enough, just need to comment on the maps and justify their comments, point out their mistakes.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 15, 2009, 11:24:14 PM
Just the important things are enough. Although if you want to write a long review, go ahead.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on August 15, 2009, 11:31:10 PM
I will 'Slap!' any judge on IRC if they don't write a minimum page length review on each map. :)

EDIT: *Arial font, size 12, no bold, single space for cameron :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on August 16, 2009, 03:46:20 AM
Thats essay length.  Oh wait, I know a way around that, and you didn't tell me I cant do this ;D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 16, 2009, 04:13:38 AM
Thats essay length.  Oh wait, I know a way around that, and you didn't tell me I cant do this ;D

Double spacing? XD  Or maybe even triple?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on August 16, 2009, 05:43:05 AM
Double spacing? XD  Or maybe even triple?
excrement.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 16, 2009, 08:23:13 AM
in my opinion, if should be more like a comment v. a eassy.  but still be long enugh to state what the good fetures of the map where and what could have been worked on more.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 16, 2009, 11:23:15 AM
excrement.

Lmao. We think the same way. I do that on most of my school essays.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on August 16, 2009, 05:03:10 PM
Lmao. We think the same way. I do that on most of my school essays.
My teachers are just dumb enough to not count the words cos it takes time, they just go by the number of pages you hand to them.  I normally get away with handing a 400 word essay in instead of a 800-900 word one.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 16, 2009, 06:49:21 PM
Well if you have to turn it in electronically you can’t get away with it.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: RiMiNi on August 16, 2009, 09:21:44 PM
^ Never had to do that.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 17, 2009, 02:23:46 AM
EDIT: *Arial font, size 12, no bold, single space for cameron :)

Lol, Cam. Now what?

^ Never had to do that.

Neither have I actually. I think most people type out their essays, print it out and hand that in.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Rick on August 17, 2009, 02:54:23 AM
Lol, Cam. Now what?

A smaller page size? :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: Cameron on August 17, 2009, 03:58:26 AM
A smaller page size? :)
That was my next option.  Maybe A5 A6?  That'll do just fine.  I'll just hit the space bar a few times and make it justify between words, that'd make it shorter as well.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 17, 2009, 06:36:28 AM
You can add in a picture as well, no one said anything about that lol.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 17, 2009, 07:09:26 AM
XD
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: ViciouZ on August 17, 2009, 03:48:22 PM
Really looking for help, probably won't finish otherwise...
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 18, 2009, 04:50:37 AM
Competition's fierce. I've seen ViciouZ and JeeJee's maps. Holy excrement. That's all I can say.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: UDead on August 18, 2009, 06:42:09 AM
lol, thats cheating you showed before its done, jk XD
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Officially Presents: Summer 2009 Test Season
Post by: musickid999 on August 18, 2009, 10:00:58 AM
Nah, this is a fun competition. I could show everyone our entry. But it sucks. So no.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 11 days left
Post by: _burnt on August 19, 2009, 10:27:00 AM
I must ask, how are your entries coming up? As you can see, i already have released our's and Vic's one is looking sweet. I want to know!! ;D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 11 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 19, 2009, 11:04:34 AM
Pretty sure our entry can be released in a week. Good job on your map, JeeJee, and yours as well, ViciouZ.

Just to clarify, there are now 10 days left in the contest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: ViciouZ on August 19, 2009, 11:55:09 AM
Cusoman is now working with me on pr0ing up the map, so add him to the 'team' please :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 19, 2009, 01:27:02 PM
Cusoman is now working with me on pr0ing up the map, so add him to the 'team' please :)

Done. There is a chance Robbie and I will be releasing two versions of our entry. So count that as two submissions for our team. It's not for certain.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: jitspoe on August 21, 2009, 04:17:26 AM
Hm, I kind of want to make a cave map, but I don't think 10 days is enough time...  Not for the way I want to make it. :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 21, 2009, 04:30:49 AM
It would be great if you joined the next contest, Jits. Help bring in more people.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: UDead on August 21, 2009, 06:07:41 AM
I really want to se you do a map for xmapcom, im sure you should take this to the next level if you do.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 21, 2009, 11:15:50 AM
I really want to se you do a map for xmapcom, im sure you should take this to the next level if you do.

That is basically what I said. I admire your creativity. Good job. XD
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: _burnt on August 21, 2009, 11:25:35 AM
Hm, I kind of want to make a cave map, but I don't think 10 days is enough time...  Not for the way I want to make it. :)

You should have joined, would have been plenty of time ;)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: Cameron on August 21, 2009, 07:24:24 PM
*cough*reallife*cough*

Rick has been bugging me for the past month and a half about continuing with a map, and I havn't touched it since :).
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: Rick on August 21, 2009, 07:25:26 PM
*cough*reallife*cough*

Rick has been bugging me for the past month and a half about continuing with a map, and I havn't touched it since :).

Maybe you should? :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: jitspoe on August 22, 2009, 01:08:30 AM
Well, there are still a couple days left.  Perhaps I could whip something up?  Or did I have to register earlier?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: Cameron on August 22, 2009, 01:40:08 AM
Well, there are still a couple days left.  Perhaps I could whip something up?  Or did I have to register earlier?
Go now gogogogogoggogogo.  Get dat map going already :P.  Cusoman just joined Viciouz, and I'm sure they'd be happy for you to whip up something to waste your precious time :P.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: pheeks on August 22, 2009, 09:25:03 AM
Oh yeah, how's your pro box coming? And wow... I logged in 2 minutes ago and when I posted that thing about the box, like... 3 posts were in front of mine.
Well, there are still a couple days left.  Perhaps I could whip something up?  Or did I have to register earlier?
And jitspoe, most people would have to register earlier but I think we could pull some strings for you :D

And that was my 4th edit in about 3 minutes.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: Cameron on August 22, 2009, 04:49:05 PM
Wait, you still want spawninarock?  STEVE GO MAKE IT NOW.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: pheeks on August 22, 2009, 09:36:42 PM
YES MAKE IT NOW
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 10 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 22, 2009, 11:30:58 PM
For the next contest, there won't be any registration date, but we hope that contestants can at least give us a shout if they're going to enter.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: pheeks on August 24, 2009, 09:00:45 AM
STEVE GO MAKE IT NOW.
And who's steve?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: ViciouZ on August 24, 2009, 02:53:22 PM
And who's steve?

I AM STEVE, AND I HAVE RETURNED.

Music festival, phew. Now I just need to find cuso on IRC and get him to send me the map to mirror, align & compile if he hasn't already...

And if you seriously want it, will release spawninarock as a BONUS!!!!¬!!!!1!1!!!1!!1 probably with some entity based madness.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: _burnt on August 24, 2009, 02:57:24 PM
And if you seriously want it, will release spawninarock as a BONUS!!!!¬!!!!1!1!!!1!!1 probably with some entity based madness.

Make it spin!!!11!111!
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: pheeks on August 24, 2009, 03:34:05 PM
I AM STEVE, AND I HAVE RETURNED.
Ok, that was the most awesome entrance EVER

AND CAMERON, I WANT THAT MAPFILE FOR SPAWNINAROCK! I SHALL REMAKE SPAWNINABOX WITH MY PR0 NEVER MAPPED BEFORE SKILLZ.
so please send it to me in a pm :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: _burnt on August 24, 2009, 03:46:26 PM
Um, wait... You'll need spawninarock map file to remake spawninabox ??? ??? ???
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: pheeks on August 24, 2009, 04:23:49 PM
YES I WILL :D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 25, 2009, 02:27:16 AM
So, so far we've got, 1 completed entry? XD
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: Cameron on August 25, 2009, 05:05:01 AM
Steve and me are going to enter this tournament with spawninarock :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: UDead on August 25, 2009, 08:30:38 AM
lol
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: pheeks on August 25, 2009, 10:41:44 AM
Steve and me are going to enter this tournament with spawninarock :)
If I was a judge, you would end up getting the best score for gameplay :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: Cameron on August 25, 2009, 05:46:36 PM
I'd just give us A+ in all aspects of everything, since I'm judging :).
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: pheeks on August 25, 2009, 06:14:58 PM
1
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 25, 2009, 10:32:46 PM
Judges can now start rating each entry (obviously, the finished ones). Keep the scores to yourself for now though, we'll wait until more entries are completed.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 26, 2009, 09:28:58 AM
Robbie and I are having a bit of trouble finishing our entry, so we might not be able to release it in time. However, I myself have an individual entry I will most likely be able to finish before the 29th.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: _burnt on August 26, 2009, 09:39:35 AM
Judges can now start rating each entry (obviously, the finished ones). Keep the scores to yourself for now though, we'll wait until more entries are completed.

But isnt there still time? So if i make new beta they would need to rate it again?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 6 days left
Post by: musickid999 on August 26, 2009, 10:08:28 AM
They will rate whatever the newest beta is available before the submission deadline. The ratings they get now will be temporary, and they will be able to edit them according to any major changes in your next beta.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 3 days left (OMG!)
Post by: _burnt on August 26, 2009, 10:33:47 AM
Ok, that's what i thought. Just to point out that if a new beta comes dont rate the previous for nothing ;)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - 3 days left (OMG!)
Post by: UDead on August 26, 2009, 11:09:55 AM
sounds like a nice plan musik
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 12:00:30 AM
Come on guys, what happened to all the entries? We should at least recieve 5 more. Not EVERYONE who entered the contest is idle from DP.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: aircrew on August 28, 2009, 03:49:39 AM
I have made map for contest, but after all problems with r_speeds I couldn´t get my lighting work. So, maybe if someone help me with that problem I will be able to finish it after contest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: Rick on August 28, 2009, 04:53:40 AM
Seeing as most people are not giving their mapfiles, I'm removing myself from judging.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 07:29:46 AM
Seeing as most people are not giving their mapfiles, I'm removing myself from judging.

I completely forgot about that. I'll upload my mapfile right now.
Aside, I could help you aircrew if you can contact me in the next few hours.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: aircrew on August 28, 2009, 07:35:55 AM
Of course I can contact you. What´s your e-mail? But anyway, I can´t finish it today ;) lots of things need work...
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: _burnt on August 28, 2009, 08:28:12 AM
Aircrew, i can help you. PM me dl link and i'll try to help.

Seeing as most people are not giving their mapfiles, I'm removing myself from judging.

Don't!!!! It already sucks when there's only few entries released :( :(
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: pheeks on August 28, 2009, 08:35:51 AM
Rick, if you do that on such short notice, this competition will FAIL. It would ruin the whole competion unless we just ask someone random.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: cusoman on August 28, 2009, 09:42:02 AM
-------> Someone Random

- Cusoman
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: _burnt on August 28, 2009, 09:49:01 AM
-------> Someone Random

- Cusoman

Hoes your and Vic's map comin? I want it to be finished when the judging begins!!
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: Spook on August 28, 2009, 09:53:24 AM
I won't be posting an entry, I figured I wouldn't in the first place anyway. The theme was fail, if the next competition has a better theme, I'll jump in and actually start something.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: ViciouZ on August 28, 2009, 11:48:52 AM
What time does it have to be in, in GMT+1? We just need to do entities and align textures.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: _burnt on August 28, 2009, 11:52:40 AM
We just need to do entities and align textures.

Lol, nuubs.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 12:01:22 PM
Well, with my incredibly terrible GMT timezone knowlege, the slowest (latest) timezone is GMT -11, which is the Midway area. As soon as that timezone reaches the 30th of August, which the rest of the world should well be into Saturday, entries will stop being accepted.

As to Spook's post, I cannot disagree that this contest's theme was a joke, giving a lot of mappers almost no creativity to work with, but it was something that all the contestants (with actual submitted entries) dealt with, and I highly applaud their work. However, I can personally guarantee, the next contest's theme will be quite interesting, and will pose a challenge. You can expect a new thread created in a weeks' time completely organized and ready, revealing any information about the next contest.

As for Rick's sudden departure from the judges' circle, I cannot force him to stay, but I, as well as a lot of us, will say, it is quite rude and untimely to leave at such a short moment's notice, as well as it being the LAST day of the contest. An earlier PM to any of us would also have helped us quite a bit, as we would have to find a substitute. But either way, thank you for your help. If I don't recieve any word from you about continuing to judge in the contest, I will find a replacement, and giving the circumstances, I cannot guarantee a fair and unbiased judge.

If we had absolutely no choice, I would have disqualfied my own map and taken the judge's position, and would promise to give a fair rating, but seeing as the entries we have recieved are far too little, I will not do so.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: RiMiNi on August 28, 2009, 12:26:25 PM
I haven't seen Link in a while so our map is probably 'pooed.' Unless of course he makes some crazy entrance with the map :P
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: Rick on August 28, 2009, 06:52:16 PM
As for Rick's sudden departure from the judges' circle, I cannot force him to stay, but I, as well as a lot of us, will say, it is quite rude and untimely to leave at such a short moment's notice, as well as it being the LAST day of the contest. An earlier PM to any of us would also have helped us quite a bit, as we would have to find a substitute. But either way, thank you for your help. If I don't recieve any word from you about continuing to judge in the contest, I will find a replacement, and giving the circumstances, I cannot guarantee a fair and unbiased judge.

The only thing I could judge was the map itself. I'm banned, so I can't test gameplay. Also, Skitzo is banned, how is he going to test gameplay and such? I would judge if I could, but it seems some of the people aren't handing in the .map files and if not everyone hands them in, it would be unfair to judge on the .map file.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: RiMiNi on August 28, 2009, 07:06:20 PM
Then don't judge on the .map
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: SuperMAn on August 28, 2009, 07:14:14 PM
Someone want to make a pack of all the entries for the judges to download?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: Rick on August 28, 2009, 07:31:10 PM
Then don't judge on the .map
I signed up to judge the .map, not play the actual map. It'd mean I would have to re-install this game.

And by resigning I'm not judging the .map.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 09:27:23 PM
Someone want to make a pack of all the entries for the judges to download?

I will do that in a bit. As for the .map files, I can release mine, no problem, but I can't guarantee the others will give theirs.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: RiMiNi on August 28, 2009, 09:47:10 PM
I will do that in a bit. As for the .map files, I can release mine, no problem, but I can't guarantee the others will give theirs.
That's because it was optional.

@Rick - I've said previously in this thread that if you can't judge mapping aspects without the .map then you shouldn't sign up for being a judge. Which you did. Although you may be banned, all you have to do is run around in the map. Also, dp is a very quick install so it really can't be that big of a deal, especially to back out last minute over.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: pheeks on August 28, 2009, 09:48:56 PM
WTF!? Rick is banned? I never knew that.
Anyways, back on topic. I hope to be seeing many more entries tomorrow by the xMAPCOM contestants and wish them all good luck!
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 10:04:35 PM
I released Rick was banned, but I thought being banned simply meant that they couldn't play on any publi server whatsoever, but testing out maps on your own in one of those LAN servers was ok. We should be getting at least 2 more entries, one from ViciouZ and another from aircrew. Good luck to both.

Look out for an attachment in ths post for the judges. I'll be packing all the maps together in one zip.

EDIT: Didn't realize ViciouZ released his entry already. Good job.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: Rick on August 28, 2009, 10:13:25 PM
That's because it was optional.

@Rick - I've said previously in this thread that if you can't judge mapping aspects without the .map then you shouldn't sign up for being a judge. Which you did. Although you may be banned, all you have to do is run around in the map. Also, DP is a very quick install so it really can't be that big of a deal, especially to back out last minute over.

I just don't get what the big deal is about me not judging. There is 3 other people judging.
And, like I said, I signed up to be a judge of the .map files, not to be a judge of gameplay, aesthetics and such. Also, I'm suppose to be able to tell the technicality of the map by just running around in it? What if I wanted to see how entities have been used(not models/base/flag obviously)? Or if someone has just put a box around a leak? Or how messy the maker made the map in bsp? Or if groups have been used? So on.

I know your going to reply with answers to all that but whats the point? It's not going to change my beliefs and it's not going to change me dropping out. Instead of trying to prove yourself right, how about you take my place and this contest can run smoothly.

@Music, Like I said, I wanted to be a judge of the .map files and your right, I could test it out on my own server BUT that is not what I signed up to do.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 10:17:31 PM
Well, I've been collecting the entries to zip into a pack, and I realized, all three .map sources have been provided. (Well, except mine, but I simply forgot, and is willing to give it away). So either way, judge or not, the next attachment I'm going to provide will include both playable maps and editable maps, and can only hope no one goes and makes excrementy remakes of either without first asking for any permission.

As for the "3 other people judging", 2 of them are going to focus on entirely different things, and seeing as you (Rick) and Cameron are such a great mapping team together, we all thought it would be a fair judging table.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: Rick on August 28, 2009, 10:21:05 PM
Well if the .maps are going to be provided. I don't see why I have to quit judging :DDD. I'll judge, aslong as it's only the .map files :P
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 10:37:43 PM
Well if the .maps are going to be provided. I don't see why I have to quit judging :DDD. I'll judge, aslong as it's only the .map files :P

LOL. Ok. Give me about 5 minutes to just organize this pack.

EDIT: Posted links to map pack.

ZShare:
 http://www.zshare.net/download/648098026feba6f6/ (There's a slightly NSFW ad there sometimes all the time)
Rapidshare:
http://rapidshare.com/files/272833699/xMAPCOM_Summer_2009.zip.html
Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qz2nrzmzgzj
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: Cameron on August 28, 2009, 10:51:35 PM
Well if the .maps are going to be provided. I don't see why I have to quit judging :DDD. I'll judge, aslong as it's only the .map files :P
Yeh, thats what I thought was coming our way.  This shall be an interesting weekend.  I wonder how much time i'll have to judge...
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 10:53:48 PM
Yeh, thats what I thought was coming our way.  This shall be an interesting weekend.  I wonder how much time i'll have to judge...

In all honesty, there are too few maps. Three to be exact. Even if you spent an hour in detail reviewing each map, at most, you'd have used up three hours. Add another hour for discussion between you two, and that's four. Because of the number of entries we've recieved, you won't be spending too much time on judging.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: Cameron on August 29, 2009, 02:55:53 AM
After looking at all of these maps, hopefully if this continues, we should see some great quality maps made in the future.  Its rare at the moment to see a map that passes beta stages and gets played on pubs.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Last Day!
Post by: musickid999 on August 29, 2009, 04:19:01 AM
After looking at all of these maps, hopefully if this continues, we should see some great quality maps made in the future.  Its rare at the moment to see a map that passes beta stages and gets played on pubs.

This will defiitely continue. I've already prepared the information for the next contest, with a much more interesting theme. Most maps played now are all speed maps, and as soon as a new map possesses any form of slow movement whatsoever, it immediately becomes quite unpopular.

EDIT: There is a total of half an hour left, starting from the time I post this.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: pheeks on August 29, 2009, 09:51:00 AM
Can someone, like superman said, create a mappack with all of the maps and their required files/textures?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: Spook on August 29, 2009, 12:50:35 PM
LOL. Ok. Give me about 5 minutes to just organize this pack.

EDIT: Posted links to map pack.

ZShare:
 http://www.zshare.net/download/648098026feba6f6/ (There's a slightly NSFW ad there sometimes all the time)
Rapidshare:
http://rapidshare.com/files/272833699/xMAPCOM_Summer_2009.zip.html
Mediafire:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qz2nrzmzgzj
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: _burnt on August 31, 2009, 02:45:23 PM
So, when are the results going to be given out?
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: RoBiNandL!nk on August 31, 2009, 04:48:10 PM
sorry rimini no crazy entrance been busy with school =D ill finish it later and release it when we like and.. er my irc didnt crash for no reason


woo got my irc working ill finish it in a month we wouldnt
have finished it in time anyways rimini
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: Cameron on August 31, 2009, 05:22:17 PM
Oh intercourse, judging time?  I'll try and get around to it tonight :).
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: Cameron on September 01, 2009, 06:29:52 AM
So far we have judged Viciouz and Cusomans map and beginning JeeJees map.  The competition looks tough at the moment :).  We should have the results posted in a seperate thread either tonight (our tonight, which is now) if we finish or tomorrow night (which is 24ish hours from now).
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: UDead on September 01, 2009, 08:22:24 AM
sounds good
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: Pajama-Sam on September 20, 2009, 04:02:22 PM
i am resigning as a contestant and signing up for a judging position
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: RiMiNi on September 20, 2009, 04:11:41 PM
The contest is well over, didn't you notice the "Deadline is here." Or are you talking about future competitions? If so, I believe you will have to sign up on the thread for the next contest.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: musickid999 on September 20, 2009, 06:57:35 PM
Slick. I'll be posting a new thread on the next competition shortly. You're welcome to join there.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: wizzi on September 21, 2009, 12:54:16 PM
for the next one ill make a map with ya musik ;D
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: MOFO on September 21, 2009, 01:58:26 PM
nope me and musik already getting started on a map *cough *cough
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: wizzi on September 21, 2009, 05:16:27 PM
shut it sin D:
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: musickid999 on September 21, 2009, 10:06:05 PM
nope me and musik already getting started on a map *cough *cough

We are? Lol
But anyways, I won't have too much time to dedicate myself to working on an entry. If someone would like to group with me, I wouldn't mind letting them do most of the work and I'll fix it up, though.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: wizzi on September 22, 2009, 01:52:33 PM
done! :)
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: RoBbIe on September 22, 2009, 07:38:57 PM
We are? Lol
But anyways, I won't have too much time to dedicate myself to working on an entry. If someone would like to group with me, I wouldn't mind letting them do most of the work and I'll fix it up, though.

Then dont group with me again :P lol did i even open our map in bsp? (Sad Face :( )
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: MOFO on September 22, 2009, 09:38:30 PM
lol wizzi dont get raped
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: wizzi on September 23, 2009, 05:51:08 PM
someone forum ban this guy. hes making silly and pointless posts seriously.

on topic: i wont.
Title: Re: xMAPCOM Summer 09 - Deadline is here.
Post by: Pajama-Sam on October 08, 2009, 02:50:15 AM
The contest is well over, didn't you notice the "Deadline is here." Or are you talking about future competitions? If so, I believe you will have to sign up on the thread for the next contest.

i want to try and jog it off saying " i was joking"      but, lol, i had totally forgoten about mapcon =D