Digital Paint Discussion Board
Development => Bugs, Feature Requests, and Feedback => Official Feature Votes => Topic started by: MissingNo. on July 27, 2009, 10:37:23 PM
-
Have you ever played Quake II? You know how it has the intro sequence where it shows the id logo? I think it would be awesome if Digital Paint: Paintball 2.0 had some sort of an intro sequence. Like someone (maybe me; I play guitar; I'm one of the few experts at it) can do some intro music while someone else produces an intro movie that goes with it. Here's an idea for a movie:
It shows Midnight II's layout for at least 10 seconds with some peaceful music. The mod running would be CTF. Then light metal/rock music would come in and it would show people shooting each other with paintball guns. This could probably be recorded in-game in some fashion, where it doesn't show the status bar and is in third person view. It could probably end where a bunch of paintballs come out of nowhere and hit the camera and the digital paint PAINTBALL 2 logo would pop up on the paintball splats.
Also, maybe it there can be another video for each server showing something like above, but for the mod the server is running. But it would be shorter than the intro.
-
It would be a waste of time.. I like pb because I can play very quickly and I don't need to wait for anything.
-
That´s why there is a skip button usually ;) I think thats a good idea and it could bring new people to the game. If newbie who just downloaded game see how awesome can player skill be maybe, then he will try to reach this level. Lot of my friends stopped play dp2 because they were really bad and they think it´s normal, they didn´t know about jumping and so on. After I have shown them how professional plays they came back. True story.
-
aircrew is an inspiration to everyone.
-
I don't see all that much point in the sort of intro movie your describing. It's showing you what your gonna play soon...
The other sort of intro movie, which is used in many games, is background information for the storyline that's happening, and DP doesn't have a storyline and campaign yet (I doubt it will ever get one) so that's not needed either.
-
That´s why there is a skip button usually ;) I think thats a good idea and it could bring new people to the game. If newbie who just downloaded game see how awesome can player skill be maybe, then he will try to reach this level. Lot of my friends stopped play dp2 because they were really bad and they think it´s normal, they didn´t know about jumping and so on. After I have shown them how professional plays they came back. True story.
This was kind of who It would be designed for, just newbies. And it would make the game look more, er... creative, or something like that.
-
QWTF had a pretty sweet opening cinematic. You could make a cvar to disable it from loading, as well as not loading it when a connect cmd-line argument is passed, so that it wouldn't show when launching the game from URL/server browser.
-
I don't see all that much point in the sort of intro movie your describing. It's showing you what your gonna play soon...
That's why It's called an intro movie.
-
I guess you mean something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbcXEPHExA
If it could be skipped, it'd be fine.
-
Yes, definitly like that.
-
I like it. :]
-
Well afaik there would be 4 ways of doing this:
.DM2 demo file - I think jitspoe and S8N did one of these that played in the background, complete with music, for the q2 mod version.
Pros: Small file size, renders in game
Cons: Hard to edit, no 'video effects' or transitions possible.
.CIN cinematic file - I tried converting a youtube video to one of these earlier with a variety of ancient tools, only got the sound to work, screen was black.
Pros: Plays back on virtually any computer, can use video effects
Cons: Difficult to create, low quality, large file size
RScripts - These have been used for animated menu backgrounds
Pros: Easy to edit for different configurations
Cons: Eats up tons of memory, takes ages to load, CPU heavy, no sound
Add support for another video format (RoQ)
Pros: Reasonable quality, general compatibility, can use video effects
Cons: Relatively large file size, needs to be ported or adapted from KMQuake2 or ioQ3
So at the moment, it's not too practical to do this.
-
Nice post. I think the .DM2 would be good to work with for now. But if jitspoe added another video type to use, we'd have more to work with. But for now if someone made a .DM2 we would just see how that works out.
-
Well afaik there would be 4 ways of doing this:
.DM2 demo file - I think jitspoe and S8N did one of these that played in the background, complete with music, for the q2 mod version.
Pros: Small file size, renders in game
Cons: Hard to edit, no 'video effects' or transitions possible.
.CIN cinematic file - I tried converting a youtube video to one of these earlier with a variety of ancient tools, only got the sound to work, screen was black.
Pros: Plays back on virtually any computer, can use video effects
Cons: Difficult to create, low quality, large file size
RScripts - These have been used for animated menu backgrounds
Pros: Easy to edit for different configurations
Cons: Eats up tons of memory, takes ages to load, CPU heavy, no sound
Add support for another video format (RoQ)
Pros: Reasonable quality, general compatibility, can use video effects
Cons: Relatively large file size, needs to be ported or adapted from KMQuake2 or ioQ3
So at the moment, it's not too practical to do this.
Couldnt you use dm2. then use a onscreen recorder like fraps and you can edit it and etc and would be a small size
-
In a word, no.
edit: Well yeah, but you'd have to convert it to a .cin or .roq file or an rscript animation. That was basically the point of my post.
-
http://dplogin.com/dplogin/featurevote/feature.php?id=10210
Going to vote "no" on this one.
- Intro movies just become an annoyance after a short you've seen them once or twice (yeah, you can have a setting to disable them, but how many users are going to figure that out?)
- Increases load times.
- Increases file download size.
I think something like a training map that automatically loads the first time you play the game would be much more effective at introducing new players to the game.
-
I think something like a training map that automatically loads the first time you play the game would be much more effective at introducing new players to the game.
I like that. Bit like the start of q3live, but have the ability to skip it as well, incase someone reinstalls or something, etc.
-
- Intro movies just become an annoyance after a short you've seen them once or twice (yeah, you can have a setting to disable them, but how many users are going to figure that out?)
- Increases load times.
- Increases file download size.
- Maybe if someone presses the (SKIP) button then it would come up with a dialouge box saying do you always want to skip this individual intro movie? (Note that I said individual) Then they can choose either yes or no, and even have an option to not show the dialouge box again.
- As I state above, they can choose to opt out of individual intro movies.
- If this is implemented, maybe another download option for downloading movies can be put in. So they wouldn't have to download it. And anyways it's just one time you should download it.
Here's some ideas:
- Servers can choose what intro movie they want people to download on their servers, let it be original or custom.
- A new option menu would be for disabling certain intro movies to be shown.
- The (SKIP) button I think should be like the one in Sonic Rush (yes, I am a Sonic freak :)), because it would be easy to spot, but it'd be a bit bigger.
I think something like a training map that automatically loads the first time you play the game would be much more effective at introducing new players to the game.
I like the idea of a training map. But what mods would it cover? Or would it do that automatically when you connect to a server and you're playing it's mod for the first time?
-
Why would intro movies be determined by the server? And what do you mean by "what mods would it cover?" Paintball2, of course. :) Again, it would have nothing to do with the server - jusst show people the basics of the game play.
-
Why would intro movies be determined by the server? And what do you mean by "what mods would it cover?" Paintball2, of course. :) Again, it would have nothing to do with the server - jusst show people the basics of the game play.
Maybe they would want to have their own video? Like something about their clan?
Erm... by mods I mean would the training map be for DM, CTF, Soccer, etc.?
I think there should be one of each that will load when you connect to a server and you're going to play that mod for the first time.
-
Maybe they would want to have their own video? Like something about their clan?
Erm... by mods I mean would the training map be for DM, CTF, Soccer, etc.?
I think there should be one of each that will load when you connect to a server and you're going to play that mod for the first time.
I think it shouldnt do any game mode, Just the basics strafe ( bunny hop). Double jumps, Triple jumps, etc, Also aim/buttons(binds)/teach them how to type, because most newbies do not know how to communicate, Also make them create a name in the tut so they know how, and at the end tell them to register on dplogin.com to be able to use a name
-
I think it shouldnt do any game mode, Just the basics strafe ( bunny hop). Double jumps, Triple jumps, etc, Also aim/buttons(binds)/teach them how to type, because most newbies do not know how to communicate, Also make them create a name in the tut so they know how, and at the end tell them to register on dplogin.com to be able to use a name
That sounds good.
-
Did anyone see this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ybUC3-xpI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0ybUC3-xpI)
Credit goes to otbclan on Twitter.