Digital Paint Discussion Board

Development => Mapping => Topic started by: aircrew on August 18, 2009, 08:35:42 AM

Title: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: aircrew on August 18, 2009, 08:35:42 AM
Ok, so here is my problem. I made new map and I final compile it, it´s not leaking, there is no much water and terrain is well made without brushes in brushes. But my problem is that r_speed is very big, sometimes about 9,5k.When I opened map like kingdomcliffs in bsp editor, it has about 6k but when I open it in game it has got only about 2 max. So what I have to do for minimize r_speeds?And I know all normal techniques to do it what are in sk89q´s site.
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: _burnt on August 18, 2009, 08:49:40 AM
Can't tell much without .bsp or .map, but you may have large open areas which will cause horrible r_speeds.
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: aircrew on August 18, 2009, 08:55:25 AM
I can give you map file but only for you, have you got an e-mail on what I can post it? There are no much open spaces.And also, for example pbcup_renoir has got one open space bigger then me and r_speeds is about 3k.
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: ViciouZ on August 18, 2009, 09:05:05 AM
1. Have you detailed the walls?
2. Are lots of walls made of entities?
3. How many surfaces of water are there?
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: aircrew on August 18, 2009, 09:10:39 AM
1)yes, all walls are detailed
2)no, walls aren´t made of entites
3)water has six surfaces I think...but there are four small water places in whole map...
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: ViciouZ on August 18, 2009, 09:38:07 AM
Undetail the walls, detail is only for things that don't obstruct the view, not walls/floor/ceiling.
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: aircrew on August 18, 2009, 10:03:32 AM
I did it and r_speeds is still 9000 somewhere.
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: ViciouZ on August 18, 2009, 10:18:07 AM
Then email it to JeeJee and he'll help you work it out :)
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: cusoman on August 18, 2009, 10:20:47 AM
I know how to reduce those r_speeds :)  Most likely a combination of proper detailing and hint brushes will fix it up.  I can do it for you if you want.

-Cusoman
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: aircrew on August 18, 2009, 10:29:00 AM
If you can minimize it to about 3000, i would make a song of glory for you. But seriously, gimme e-mail and after I will make some edits and finish the map, I will send it to you. Thanks
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: cusoman on August 18, 2009, 10:45:10 AM
I pmed you my email :)

- Cusoman
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: RiMiNi on August 18, 2009, 10:49:44 AM
Make sure all your water surfaces are the same height.
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: jitspoe on August 19, 2009, 06:06:44 PM
Some common reasons for high r_speeds:

- Large, open areas (large brushes are broken into small sections).
- Nothing to block visibility in the map (whole map is open with a bunch of details in the middle).
- Reflective water (especially if you have water at more than one level.  Each visible level of water doubles your r_speeds, more or less).
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: cusoman on August 19, 2009, 09:26:10 PM
I have fixed the r_speed problem.  Just so everyone can learn:

Complex brush structures look exceptional, but they also break apart your map into tiny triangles, and then rad must light every triangle.  Hint properties on complex structures is just as important as hint properties on boxes and hay stacks :)

-Cusoman
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: pheeks on August 26, 2009, 09:25:23 PM
Aircrew- If you don't mind me asking, what map is this you are making.
Everyone else in the mapping community- What do hint brushes do?
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: aircrew on August 28, 2009, 03:51:15 AM
It was map for contest, but I probably can´t finish it because after cuso minimized r_speeds there is another problem with lighting.
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: pheeks on August 28, 2009, 08:37:00 AM
Ouch. Was it xMAPCOM?
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: cusoman on August 28, 2009, 09:44:00 AM
Yes for some reason, the lighting just stopped working on aircrews map.  It properly vis'd and rad'd yet it turns up pitch black.  Numportals were around 5000, but that shouldnt be a problem since i have lit maps with over 7000 numportals.  I was really stumped. :/

- Cusoman
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: _burnt on August 28, 2009, 09:46:05 AM
hmm... Release it without lights for the competitons sake, and maybe release the .map file so other people can look at it, and maybe help you out.
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: RiMiNi on August 28, 2009, 12:28:39 PM
Yes for some reason, the lighting just stopped working on aircrews map.  It properly vis'd and rad'd yet it turns up pitch black.  Numportals were around 5000, but that shouldnt be a problem since i have lit maps with over 7000 numportals.  I was really stumped. :/

- Cusoman
clits.bsp =[
Title: Re: Why is r_speeds so high?
Post by: musickid999 on August 28, 2009, 01:00:54 PM
Most likely, you have too many lights. What you should do, is as JeeJee said, release a Beta 1 without the lighting. There's a bit more than 15 hours left in the contest (look at the time in Midway, as soon as it turns to the 30th, no more entries will be accepted). You can try to fix the lighting during that time, but if you can't, you still have the lightless version available for participation in the contest.