Digital Paint Discussion Board

Paintball 2: The Game => Help and Support => Topic started by: flip on October 21, 2009, 06:58:04 PM

Title: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on October 21, 2009, 06:58:04 PM
Why is it that this is the only game that crashes on my new pc? It only happens in certain servers too. Take super's pub for instance. It crashes there about 1000 times in a night. His jump server never makes it crash. Maybe it isn't just ati cards like you suspect. Shouldn't this be a very real issue that should be a priority to be resolved? Why does this happen? Fix it.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: Spook on October 23, 2009, 01:32:37 AM
Lol, DP was the only game to crash on my super computer too. There's something wrong but I don't play enough to care.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: SuperMAn on October 23, 2009, 09:38:17 AM
If the jump server doesn't lag that must mean its something in the newer build.  Since the jump servers still have to be build 21 to work.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: mewa on November 20, 2009, 01:59:08 AM
when you say "crash", what actually happens. video freezes, game is shutdown, etc.

have you tried playing with the card settings to make it better. i had to play with nvidias control panel to find the one combination of settings that would keep dp from freezing. couldnt even find related info on the net, so it was probably game/hardware specific
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: jitspoe on December 15, 2009, 07:10:51 PM
Paintball2 is making explorer crash?  Is this only on Vista?  I've never had this happen on XP.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: T3RR0R15T on December 16, 2009, 11:11:18 AM
It works fine for me on Vista and Win7. Is there a way to reproduce it? How long can u play before it crashes?
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on December 21, 2009, 06:36:09 PM
It is random but happens normally when I try to type something. Typing isn't the cause all the time though, maybe 2 outta 5 times. It happens so much and so randomly I have moved on and started playing modern warfare 2 because this is so annoying. I have tried everything from different drivers, settings, and going as far as trying my keyboard and mouse on a different pc to make sure it wasn't them crashing it. I check all 8 gigabytes of memory and still can't figure it out. Until this gets fixed I'll only pub once or twice a month. Maybe I'll buy another new pc next decade and paintball will still be around so I can play.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: cap0ne on January 02, 2010, 03:05:32 AM
ima post here severally reasons why you pc crash on 1st start
1. Try to re-open it
2. You have no Open-GL  ( Nvidia driver )
3. You may have severally things open ( so it crashes )
4. You have opened pball, put some option and it crashed why? if you turn chose options off it may crash( dont kno which )
5. My last 1 is : You have the oldest version of pball then
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on January 03, 2010, 02:17:51 PM
ima post here severally reasons why you pc crash on 1st start
1. Try to re-open it
2. You have no Open-GL  ( Nvidia driver )
3. You may have severally things open ( so it crashes )
4. You have opened pball, put some option and it crashed why? if you turn chose options off it may crash( dont kno which )
5. My last 1 is : You have the oldest version of pball then


I run the latest version of pball as soon as I see an update has been released. My pc can handle just about anything the average person throws at it. I can run all the apps I want and it never affects any other game I play. My pc doesn't crash, just the game. 
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: mewa on January 03, 2010, 08:41:27 PM
have you looked at dr.watson or "performance logs" or whatever the hell microsoft is calling there logger now/

doesnt sound like this will pinpoint whats happening to you, but probably cant hurt either.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: jitspoe on January 04, 2010, 12:20:56 PM
You could try setting your maxfps, or maybe gl_swapinterval 1 so you aren't rendering as many frames as your computer can handle.  Maybe it's overheating.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on January 04, 2010, 04:52:27 PM
Wish that was the case. I'll give it a shot and see what happens, but would pball be more taxing than something such as halo 2 with high graphics settings? I have tried limiting my maxfps quite a few times even dropping them down to 30 to no effect. It just makes the game seem jumpy and it still stops working. I'll try the gl_swapinterval 1 either tonight or tomorrow and post the results.

My pc runs internally at about 26 degrees Celsius with a liquid cooled processor running somewhere near the same mark. My graphics card doesn't budge much unless I'm playing some stupid game on pretty rough settings. 1gb ddr5 card.   
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: jitspoe on January 04, 2010, 06:21:21 PM
So it's actually crashing explorer.exe?  What, exactly, happens when it crashes?

Do you have 3D sound enabled?  If you have a Creative sound card, it could potentially crash your system (they have crappy drivers).
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on January 06, 2010, 05:00:04 PM
Let me boot it up tonight play a little and take a screenshot for you.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: Justinph5 on January 06, 2010, 10:35:52 PM
Sounds like pb2 is 'crossing wires' with another running process and it's causing a crash.

Could you check your event log and paste it from one or two of the explorer crashes? It could help explain exactly what causes it to crash. Or see if pb2 is doing anything funky.

(to pull up event logs go to 'Run' and type 'eventvwr')
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on March 12, 2010, 11:48:26 PM
I gave up and purchased windows 7 in hopes that none of the vista issues carry over to it. Installing now and hope to have DP up and running smoothly so I can play every day again.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: Spook on March 12, 2010, 11:57:05 PM
I gave up and purchased windows 7

Why would you buy it? You could have asked around to see if anyone could have given it to you. Tinman gave me a retail CD key that is legit, and can be used multiple times, could have saved you (200?) some money.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on March 13, 2010, 12:58:39 AM
350

:)

Still crashes though. Now it freezes then causes a physical memory dump which crashes the computer.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: Justinph5 on March 13, 2010, 01:46:43 AM
All you need is someone who's a college student and you can get it for $65... But free is good too, I'm still looking for another copy for my laptop.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: mewa on March 14, 2010, 03:40:35 AM
not trying to sound like i know anything, but instinctively it seems like hardware/hardware setup incompatibility. have you tried changing the "compatibility mode" of the pb2 process? turn off visual effects etc. also maybe try running off the mb's video chip, or anything else that could eliminate variables.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: joox on March 14, 2010, 07:05:18 PM
Which operating system are you running and under which service pack? What video card do you own and are you running the latest drivers. Does it crash in a specific map(s) or random maps? And what do you mean by crash? Does the application closes or does your system freezes to where it causes for you to reboot?
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on March 19, 2010, 01:10:41 PM
I am currently running Windows 7. I have no clue what service pack, if any, has came out for it. I just installed it and updated it. I found out that the memory dump was being caused by the extreme overclock I was at because my voltage was too low. I fixed that issue only to have the "pb2 has stopped working, windows is checking for a solution" crash. This is the same thing that was occurring in vista. I am running an ATI graphics card but I fail to see how that would cause the error since my other games run fine. I have a 4870 or 4890 (can't remember which) 1 gb ddr5 card. The error happens mostly when I start typing something but does it randomly as well.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on March 19, 2010, 01:22:15 PM


Faulting application name: paintball2.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4b57e3bc
Faulting module name: testw.dat, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4b569766
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00004e66
Faulting process id: 0xd44
Faulting application start time: 0x01cac7799f0cf765
Faulting application path: C:\Games\Paintball2\paintball2.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Games\Paintball2\pball\pics\testw.dat

 ref_pbgl.dll      atioglxx.dll     testw.dat   are the three modules listed a s the ones faulting, with atioglxx.dll being the most numerous one.

Does this help?


Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: jitspoe on April 20, 2010, 09:26:04 PM
Yeah, that helps.  I got a similar crash on exit using the default Windows 7 drivers, but when I rebuilt in debug mode it didn't happen.  Maybe building with the new Visual Studio will fix it for the next version.

Of course, seeing as you have ATI drivers, that may be the cause as well.  They aren't exactly stable.
Title: Re: Explorer stopped working is getting old.
Post by: flip on April 29, 2010, 10:35:11 AM
Well,

   I was yapping with Muggins one day and he told me a lot of the random crashing happens when the game is played in window'ed mode with ati drivers. I did a driver sweep and reinstalled new drivers, old drivers, random drivers and the best fix was just adjusting screen resolution and playing in full screen. I still crash but it just freezes then crashes with no error messages. Although this is annoying it only happens once or twic a day compared to every few minutes like the other problem. I'll keep tweaking settings and see what becomes stable.