Digital Paint Discussion Board
Development => Mapping => Topic started by: Rick on February 18, 2013, 09:58:38 AM
-
#Cuso| presents their first Mapping Contest!
The Mapping Contest begins from the time of this message being posted until the 10/03/2013 so you have just under 3 weeks to finish!
The rules are as follows:
There is no limit on the amount of entries
Contestants may map in pairs or teams
Custom content is allowed but not separately judged
The maps MUST be be based upon the contest's theme
Remakes are not allowed, nor any other form of plagiarism, even if the creator of the map allows it. All work must be original.
Maps must have been started after the contest began
The entries will be judged on:
Aesthetics: How good does it look?
Gameplay: How well does it play?
Technical: What are the techniques used? Are the r_speeds workable?
The theme for this contest is:
Abandoned/Destroyed
Prizes are to be announced.
If you plan on entering, please post if you would like to be contacted via PM or iRC and optionally the name of your map. If you have any further questions, just reply or contact me via PM!
Now go, and map with honor!
Thanks to Viciouz for the template!
Overall Results:
1. randr : 73
2. corruo : 70.5
3. tlc3s : 67.5
4. rockyroad : 43
-
The prizes will depend on how many people enter! So get mapping!
-
10/3/2013 is October 3rd 2013
GAME ON!
-
Something went wrong in America. I do not see the point of putting the Month before the Day? I'm sorry but all American's are wrong.
Day/Month/Year.
-
Haha, Ill give it a whirl.
-
10/3/2013 is October 3rd 2013
GAME ON!
10(day)/3(month) is october(month)/3rd(day)?
-
ill do it if theres any prize i dont want ill put in for the fun. :) are models allowed
-
Depending on how many people actually enter, this might just turn out to be a test/fun contest.
-
ill take that as a yes.:)
-
I am glad to see a mapping contest it's fun to see what everyone will make.
I will gladly enter this contest. ;D
-
good luck to everyone. ill start tommorow.
does it have to be a tdm or can it be dm or something??
-
ill take that as a yes.:)
Yeah, models are allowed.
I am glad to see a mapping contest it's fun to see what everyone will make.
I will gladly enter this contest. ;D
Good! Can't wait to see submissions!
good luck to everyone. ill start tommorow.
does it have to be a tdm or can it be dm or something??
There is basically no rules apart from:
1)No copied/plagerised/remakes maps.
2)Started after I posted.
Anything else goes! It can be dm/tdm/koth/ctf ANYTHING.
-
Might just have to reinstall BSP for this. Who are the judges? Do we have to announce our entries somewhere?
-
Can you partner up with people for this or is it individual?
Nevermind I didnt read the first post you already answered that one.
-
Don't count on a submission from me, but I may try to whip something up in my free time.
-
Don't count on a submission from me, but I may try to whip something up in my free time.
Lets work on it together I'm going to try to get uni/jitspoe and viciouz to get in on it. With all of us working on one map we could make the ultimate DP map.
Uni and I have talked about this before getting multiple people to work on a map our list of people is long that we want to use probably around 10 people.
-
Ha, this reminds me remarkably of that xMAPCOM group I tried to get popular a loooooong way back, complete with first mapping contest! Even the map theme is similar!
Recently found a drive with all my mapping tools and random map ideas, as well as a couple of comparatively-complete .map files I had made. So I came on here to check things out and to my slight surprise, a mapping contest!
On a related note, if I'm the original creator of a map that never got out of beta (DodgeBrawl), but I have plans to do a complete re-do of it, where the only similarities would be in terms of gameplay, would that be an auto-disqualification if I entered it in the contest?
-
Don't mind me, just passing through
-
abandoned/destroyed? that's just begging for the empire state building to be re-made. why hasn't anyone done this?
-
Might just have to reinstall BSP for this. Who are the judges? Do we have to announce our entries somewhere?
I am one. I'll be able to find more soon! Just make a 'Newmap:" thread, I usually check them!
Ha, this reminds me remarkably of that xMAPCOM group I tried to get popular a loooooong way back, complete with first mapping contest! Even the map theme is similar!
Recently found a drive with all my mapping tools and random map ideas, as well as a couple of comparatively-complete .map files I had made. So I came on here to check things out and to my slight surprise, a mapping contest!
On a related note, if I'm the original creator of a map that never got out of beta (DodgeBrawl), but I have plans to do a complete re-do of it, where the only similarities would be in terms of gameplay, would that be an auto-disqualification if I entered it in the contest?
I stole it from Viciouz! :) and the theme from Cusoman, leader, lover, the best. Also, one of the rules says "Maps must have been started after the contest began".
Don't mind me, just passing through
k.
abandoned/destroyed? that's just begging for the empire state building to be re-made. why hasn't anyone done this?
kkk.
-
I would enter this contest except I'm in the middle of making two different maps; I don't want to be in the middle of making 3.
-
whats up with the extra advertisement links on peoples posts
is it just me?
-
whats up with the extra advertisement links on peoples posts
is it just me?
Might want to get malwarebytes or similar on that.
Two weeks left, I will enter if I can.
-
whats up with the extra advertisement links on peoples posts
is it just me?
http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe
-
You can pull my name out, been more busy building my gsxr than mapping, so I doubt I'll have anything worth entering in 2 weeks.
-
Started work on a map with DT, and with the right luck, sacrifices, and enough caffeine, there will be something done in time. Expect fog.
-
Finishes Tommorow cant wait
-
I wish we had more time. So much more I wanted to do.
-
i am pretty happy with rocky road.
it is a small map but with looks and stuff it fits the anbandoned/destroyed look really well in my opinion.
if i had another week i would try to make it that step larger. to make it not such a small map.
-
I'm assuming due to the lack of posts to the contrary that the contest hasn't ended until the end of today. Map should be up in a couple hours.
-
V is right. Sorry about the lack of posts!
-
i might have time later on to finish the map off.. and get it up before 12
-
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=25741.0
So what're the judging arrangements when the contest closes?
-
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=25706.0
-
So this is over.
I have a few judges lined up. Give it a few days before results are posted!
-
Not to sure if we were supposed to post the link on here or not so either way here.
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=2573 (http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=2573)7
-
It would be helpful if everyone posted their links, but not necessary :)
-
this has some srs competition. all these maps r sooooogud.
-
I wonder whos going to win. :0
-
I wonder whos going to win. :0
The only thing I can say for certain is not you.
-
The only thing I can say for certain is not you.
the only thing i can say for certain is that its not you either. so shutup.
-
LMAO, that made my earlymorning myers.
-
the only thing i can say for certain is that its not you either. so shutup.
Thanks for pointing out that you're on the same level as someone who didn't participate. Basically meaning we both get a 0 on the mapping contest. Seems about right.
-
Lol, Myers just made me crack up. As rude as it is its the truth.
-
;D Myers finally became funny, and accurate, all in the same day!
-
female dogfight: froggy vs MyeRs
-
;D Myers finally became funny, and accurate, all in the same day!
that's it?
-
Unrated's vote:
Contest entry: tlc3s The Lost City 3 Siege vesion.
Aesthetics - 8
Gameplay - 5
Technical - 8
Total: 21
Newmap - Corruo_Beta 3
Aesthetics - 7
Gameplay - 8
Technical - 7
Total: 22
Contest Entry: R&R (randr.bsp) w/ DT
Aesthetics - 7
Gameplay - 9
Technical - 8
Total: 24
Froggys map lul
Aesthetics - 2
Gameplay - 2
Technical - 3
Total: 7
-
not unrateds vote
tlc3s
aesthetics:
The huge brick walls are an eyesore. Also being picky here, but for example where the 2 ladders go up, the face behind them is a metal texture and the one at the top is different, and it just clashes. For me I'd rather see something across there separating it, giving the idea that it could actually be two different materials joined underneath or something. That is again with where bricks join to metal.
Mark - 7
gameplay:
I only got to play with bots, works alright, but I reckon it'd be really hard to get the flags, since all of the entrances through the glass are easy to cover, but I guess thats the idea of a siege, and I'd actually enjoy playing another siege map apart from siege castle, as ctf/dm seems to dominate.
Mark - 8
technical:
Clip brushes are needed in the tall structure, as every time i go up the stairs i hit the supports and get stuck. Some textures still need aligning, for example the wooden base around the temporary closed sign. Good use of grid (obviously).
Mark - 8
other notes:
for the black, instead of it being entirely black it'd be better to make it with some rocky shades of grey like with the yellow, which i know means making a new texture, but yeah.
total - 22
corruob3
aesthetics:
might want to show remaining remnants of the brick structure, kinda looks funny having it broken to bits without an around on the ground. again like i've said about tlc3s, transitions between textures on sharp edges would be nice. i know rock goes underneath grass, but in reality grass would overhang a little (no marks against that because i know theres no transition texture like grassp3, just saying though). barrels are huge, and i don't recall the last time i've ever seen a barrel taller than me, so just looks unrealistic (i know other maps have them that size as well, and i hate it). With the bricks on the ground on the side paths, the wouldn't fall in 90 degree angles like that, again just doesn't look right (i know rotating is time consuming but).
mark - 8
gameplay:
again, only got to play with bots, was fun though.
mark - 8
technical:
haven't gotten stuck anywhere yet which i like. textures still need aligning. r_speeds get ridiculous in some places as well. good use of grid though.
mark - 8
other notes:
when zipping, i assume that people are going to make it so i can extract to paintball2 folder directly and not have to unzip and copy files. and thanks for providing a .map :). that autococker, either its to make people feel bad, or i'm just too excrement to get up there haha.
total - 24
randr_a1
aesthetics:
not much to say here, although i'm pretty sure the face of a pyramid isn't flat :P. understandable considering the time constraints though. again i don't like barrels bigger than me :( looks a bit bare for being abandoned/destroyed.
mark - 8
gameplay:
fun to zip around, and plenty of paths. alright with bots, although they seemed to keep wanting to visit the pyramid haha.
mark - 9
technical:
textures misaligned (2 marks here because i feel like it), and get rid of that clip brush, i wanna go climb pyramid :(
mark - 8
other notes: no i shall not cut myself
total - 25
rockyroad
aesthetics:
that rock path needs more support, it'd collapse in reality. where the wood has collapsed under the team banner, why is the edge cut at an angle? it should be still a plank, that is just rotated, and at the moment doesn't look real. also why don't the ladders reach the ground? again, barrels, read above. also, the transparent metal, if you're going for a tinted glass look is way too thick. also the whole map seems very boxy.
mark - 6
gameplay:
i don't really see the point of the underground tunnel, its too easy to line as well. also, the two side exits, for newbies who would just stand there and jump they have no way of getting out.
mark - 6
technical:
textures are misaligned in many places. terrain is never flat, make sure it undulates a little bit. also i cant understand how one of your metal supports in the tunnel doesn't reach the vertical beam unless you're not using the grid. underground has dirt/grass texture, why have on the sides an actual grass texture though? doesn't fit.
mark - 6
total - 18
-
cameron, your marks for clipz entry total to 23 but the total is listed as 22? :)
-
Boooo! Even cusoman said I should of won no problem! I don't mind losing to DT and Vic.
-
I like omni's map the most. Haven't checked VicouZ map yet.
-
My rating:
tlc3s - 15
corruo_b3 - 23
randr_a1 - 21
rockyroad_beta7 - 22
-
that autococker, either its to make people feel bad, or i'm just too excrement to get up there haha.
Ha, I think its impossible to get actually, I spent about an hour trying. :)
-
Soooo is T3RR0R15T one of the judges? How many are there/who are they?
????????????????????????????????????????????????
-
I see major bias in the judging, having said that, I'd like to see T3RR0R15T's breakdown of points, much like how Fox did his.
2 maps looked the best, and one ranked below the worst looking one, seems odd, but maybe there's other reasons. Omni and Vic/DT definitely know how to make this turd of a game engine shine.
-
im the only judge that matters.
-
My rating:
tlc3s - 21
corruo_b3 - 20.8
randr_a1 - 20.7
rockyroad_beta7 - 0.3
-
Soooo is T3RR0R15T one of the judges? How many are there/who are they?
????????????????????????????????????????????????
Don't know. Can't find anything about it, so i thought it is a community rating.
-
It's not a community rating but I would be very happy if you did want to be a judge :P
-
honestly, i like all the maps besides deadfroggys, it's just too simple/plain. All the others are actually good. i just wish i could get to that goshdarn pyramid on DT/vics map :(
-
Wow, wasn't expecting to win or get high gameplay marks. I spent about 5 hours total adding the third route and the middle stuff. If people actually like this map I might put some more effort into it.
-
i apologize for my simple arithmetic error.
-
make like 2 more godlike match maps. ty.
-
Dungeon was worse.
-
Honestly, a rating of 0 is just a bad joke. Maybe deadfroggy doesn't have the experience of other mappers, but there're lots of worse maps. Think about all the maps with leaks, no lighting or no VIS. These maps are missing even the basics of mapping.
-
wobluda_2 is a great example.
-
you didn't get a 0, you got a 0.3. Be great full you almost got half a point. I didn't enter this "war of the maps" competition because i knew i'd win it hands down, like i do every match. I thought i'd share the spotlight.
ok whatever mate.
-
tlc3s
Aesthetics: 7
Gameplay: 8
Technical: 8.5
Total: 23.5 (As you said, this map just needs a bit more time to develop, good effort).
corruob3
Aesthetics: 9
Gameplay: 8
Technical: 7.5
Total: 24.5 (A few little things that should be added, pretty good map)
randr_a1
Aesthetics: 7.5
Gameplay: 8.5
Technical: 8
Total: 24 (Expect nothing less from V/DT in this time)
rockyroad
Aesthetics: 6
Gameplay: 6
Technical: 6
Total: 18(Considering you're fairly new to mapping, it's a very good effort. Just keep trying, don't listen to people saying excrement)
-
Overall Results:
1. randr : 73
2. corruo : 70.5
3. tlc3s : 67.5
4. rockyroad : 43
There is no prizes this time, but look for it in the future!
-
Good competition would love to see more in the future.
:)
-
Another one of these?