Digital Paint Discussion Board
Development => Mapping => Beta / In-Progress Maps => Topic started by: promarijan on December 23, 2013, 01:34:36 PM
-
I got a map for this forum!
No its no remake... Its an old idea from me that ive done now the third time!
Lost Bricks is a series of Maps made out of legos...
My third Map is the best of the three, thats why i post it here!
You need the textures to play the map proper. I put the pack into the attachments! (lost_bricks.zip)
Alternative Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9GEuIjirFL8MmkxRVlfRDJCcFk/edit?usp=sharing (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9GEuIjirFL8MmkxRVlfRDJCcFk/edit?usp=sharing)
Please let me know about tips and feedback!
------- The Mapfile is of course in the attechments too! I forgot that, im so sorry!-------
-
Is this a release for the mapping contest?
-
funny theme :)
-
@Omni
You can take it! Yes this map is good enough for the contest!
Because i got really no other map done the last time that is good enough...
This map has been just made today... ONLY TODAY!
EDIT: i uploaded all screenshots now! This Forum is really strange with the attechments... I had to save those as .jpg to get it work...
Time for Feedback!
-
A lego map. :D
Looks fun to play!
Can't wait to download those lego textures...
EDIT: You should resize your screenshots. They're really big :D
-
I love Legos. Nice creativeness.
-
Honestly, really cool idea for a map. Looks really cool.
-
@Lazers
You can scroll the image... Aaaand: The higher the resolution, the more details you can see, the better the screenshots are!
I dont understand why so many people got so small resolutions... The minimum standard is 1280x720... But you really should have a FullHD display! 1920x1080 is a nice standard!
-
I know I can scroll the image haha.
I have 1370x770 resolution. It's nice.
-
Beta 1 Revision 2 HOTFIX:
- Texture Changed (Color)
- Clipbrushes added (Low)
EDIT: Mapfile updated! (l_bricks3_b1_r2)
-
You should probably shorten the name and make it something people can remember like lbricks_b1...
-
(l_bricks3)-->Name
(_b1)-->Betaversion
(_r2)-->Revision
The revision is only for the moment... Its like a hotfix
Later this will be minimized to l_bricks3_b2/3/4 and so on...
-
Looks cool, very unique idea! I remember playing one of the older lost bricks on the beta server but this one looks much better!
-
Really cool idea haha. I haven't got a chance to look at it but by the screenshots I would suggest changing some of the faces of Lego, as Lego only has the dots on the top usually. I'd also add a few more individual blocks for some detail ;)
-
Thank you for Feedback!
@Rick
I already tried it in another Lost Bricks map but it started to look weird... I dont know why but everything with lego dots seems to be better! In my opinion...
I try to make the map bigger to make it more matchable but actually it is difficult to add a speed path or something like that... Let me know about gameplay ideas!
-
Beta 2 is out!
- Added High over both Logos (Blocking the sight over the sky into strange areas)
- changed a Texture (It was again the wrong color on an Edge)
- Added a sideway from Low-Mid and BD
- Water is now little bit lightning to avoid black entities
New File is in the Attechments!
-
I would be happy to test out this map, but your texture zip doesn't follow convention of making path in zip with pball\nextpath\nextpath etc, which is standard. Also, if you put those in your textures main folder, make subfolder for your textures. Until then I'm not installing your textures. That's sad because I would really like to check this map out.
-
I updated the texture.zip...
Now its like pball/textures/l_bricks and so on!
Its now easier to make it so here it is!
I update the links too!
-
I updated the texture.zip...
Now its like pball/textures/l_bricks and so on!
Its now easier to make it so here it is!
I update the links too!
Thanks a lot!
As for map:
-Really more maps should look like that!
-Not newbie-friendly (flag)
-One wrong texture (down ice is not indicated by texture)
-Too many paths for such small map I think
Other than that, I really think we should have more maps in such style, it really blends well with players running 100mph and not perfect display engine.
-
I got a new Version...
Beta 3 added some stones around the base...
And i designed the sideway... Now the map looks a lot better in some places...
EDIT: @not_payl_pbviously
The Flag is kind of difficult to get but over the little jumps it is probably easy... I dont think that it is too difficult.
-
Really cool idea haha. I haven't got a chance to look at it but by the screenshots I would suggest changing some of the faces of Lego, as Lego only has the dots on the top usually. I'd also add a few more individual blocks for some detail ;)
-
I played with Legos for Years and still got a lot of these remaining...
I really know how they look like... Anyways, but this sort of bricks is too difficult to make for every wall, block or object and would cause heavy lag and ugly export! I tried that a few years ago with only the dots and it started to get buggy... Brushes didnt work and a lot of crazy rendering was going on!
Paintball/BSP made there some strange things out of those hundrets! I dont recommend to use this in massive usage!
AND i got 2 other LostBrick maps that use the same style so i stay with dots everywhere! I dont want to mess it up!
-
I think Rick means have the detailed blocks few and far between for a little detail, and I agree the sides should definately be smooth plastic rather than bumpy plastic, maybe you can even make another texture for the bottom of the lego
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Vw-QTZFdZTE/T6u5KB3dY8I/AAAAAAAABAg/CdynVOCTKO4/s1600/lego+bottom.jpg
-
I know that you would like it but i cant change the style because i got other maps that have the same style... I want to stay with those!
-
I know that you would like it but i cant change the style because i got other maps that have the same style... I want to stay with those!
Don't feel like you must stick with the style of your previous maps... Feel free to explore new styles and get creative!
-
Yes but i like it like that because others styles looked weird... As i said, i already tested it before this map so i decided to do it this way... Its a decision that i already made in a lot of tests that wont change!
-
Really cool idea! I just don't like the actual map. It's really small, I hate maps that high and low can't be connected to prevent trading. The side path is kind of useless IMO. The flag is in a poor spot, most newbs can't dj plus it's easily camped. I'd suggest making a different map with the same theme.
-
I know what you think!
The gameplay is weird! And maybe very bad too!
But thats my map and im not making now a new one...
I try a new one in couple days...
But thank you anyways for feedback!
-
Really cool idea! I just don't like the actual map. It's really small, I hate maps that high and low can't be connected to prevent trading. The side path is kind of useless IMO. The flag is in a poor spot, most newbs can't dj plus it's easily camped. I'd suggest making a different map with the same theme.
Couldn't agree any more. Map isn't good, but theme is OMFG BEST THEME EVER. Clipz, instead of making petition to ban me, make petition to ban people who doesn't use this theme on their new maps ;) . Honestly, I want more maps with this theme.
-
For once we agree on something! Haha
-
I tried a lego map again and failed again...
My mapping combined with legostyle sucks!
I can do waayy better maps and my mapping skills are lot better than you think from what i did here^^
-
My Judging:
This is MY opinion. I'm sorry if everyone does not agree with me. If you feel I have marked wrong or anything, please PM me with DETAILS.
Also, I may leave some text the exact same as used in judging other maps, as it may be relevant to yours
Detail - 70/100
Brushes in the map that are primarly there to make it look nice.
Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map? Is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (20/25)
The whole map is lego themed, every little detail :P Though there is a large section low that is ice, with no indicators and weird lego water mid.
Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (15/25)
This map looks great and is very unique. There is a few brushes that look a bit weird, including the mid water and the weirdly shaped lego pieces. Also, I mentioned on your thread that I really don't like that all sides have the dots. Pretty sweet looking map, though :)
Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (15/25)
Most of the detail is very functional. Lot's of little DJ's and speed jumps to find, though I don't like having the flag only accessible by the jump (although it's very easy). Some of the detail gets in the way whilst speeding around as well.
Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (20/25)
There seems to be enough detail in the map, though the BD area could use a little something.
Jumps - 65/100
Judge based on the jumps of the map
Quanity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (20/25)
There is a nice quantity of jumps for such a small map.
Suitablity - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (10/25)
The jumps work pretty well except for the speed jumps across mid. The only reason I'm saying this is because it makes the low path obsolete. I also don't like that you need to do the ramp jump to get out of mid, as newbies will just get lined there all day as they can't speed across mid.
Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (20/25)
Most the jumps take you across mid, get you to flag, get you out of base, get you from low to high... everything seems pretty well placed (though most jumps make low irrelevant).
Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (15/25)
There is a mix between really easy jumps, and uh, I wouldn't call it intermediate jumps but maybe amateur jumps? There isn't really any hard jumps, as it's such a tiny map (and newb friendlyish).
Gameplay - 50/100
Judge based on how fun the map is to play
Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (10/15)
You can get stuck of a few bits of detail, nothing major though.
Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convienient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (10/10)
I don't see any problems with where they are placed.
Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (5/10)
I don't think you would need to worry about spawn killing on such a small map. Though, all 5 spawns are in very close proximity to one another.
Lines - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay?(5/15)
Mid is just a line fest, as you can basically line from base to base. Though the side paths do help, creating a little bit of a way to get to the other base, still very easy to line it though. Very campable map.
Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (10/30)
The flag points are fine. This map would be very easy to camp at flag, making it very hard to grab. Then again, in a 1v1 situation, it would be very easy to trade captures. I also don't like that you will need to perform a jump to get to the only flag (even though it's easy).
Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (10/20)
Everything seems to be pretty good in terms of speed. The low could get used, though you will be at a disadvantage. Uh, it's OKAY overall.
Technical Skill - 41/50
The quality of the mapping techniques used.
R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (18/25)
The r_speeds are low, highest I could find was ~1k. The water mid and in base is very unnecessary, as it doesn't even look like water. Getting rid of it would lower the r_speeds a bit. I doubt many players would have any trouble running this.
Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (8/10)
The only alignment I didn't like was on the single unit blocks, the dots look really weird.
Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (15/15)
The brush work seems to be fine.
Innovation - 30/50
Is this map NEW and EXCITING or have we seen it before?
Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (30/50)
The appearance of the map is very unique, it's a shame about gameplay though. I have seen this gameplay time and time again and once you play it, it's not that exciting.
Overall - 256/400
-
I hope Rick doesn't mind that I've stolen his template, based on omni's criteria. I spent like an hour writing one out, then it didn't get synced to my dropbox and I reformatted my PC. Thanks Rick :)
Detail - 65/100
Brushes in the map that are primarly there to make it look nice.
Relevance - How does the detail compare to the rest of the map? Is it relevant to the theme and style? Or is it random? (20/25)
It's all lego. So I guess that makes it relevant to the theme of the map.
Appearance - Is it visually appealing? Does it make you want to play the map? (15/25)
It's certainly interesting but I wouldn't say it looks very, the incredibly bright colours start giving me a headache after 10 minutes or so. I sort of preferred it before I downloaded the textures.
Suitability to Gameplay - How does the detail collaborate with gameplay? (20/25)
Only a couple of bricks get in the way, most of the detail is in the form of cover and doesn't break the flow of the map.
Quantity - Is there too little? Is there too much? Or is there enough? (10/25)
It might not really fit the theme of the map, but I really thought there was quite a lot of empty space that could have used some detailing. That said, the textures make everything look very busy already.
Jumps - 70/100
Judge based on the jumps of the map
Quantity - Are they too rare? Are they too common? (22/25)
Enough to keep things interesting, too many to not be obtrusive.
Suitability - Are the jumps randomly placed? Are they needed? Do they work well? (15/25)
The ramps in mid aren't big enough to reliably jump over the ridge with, or maybe I'm just out of practice. I'd also say the low ice is pretty useless.
Relevance - Are the jumps relevantly placed? Are they Leading to places of importance? (18/25)
I guess. They all go somewhere relevant and don't seem forced.
Range - Are there jumps for people of all skill level? Some easy jumps and some hard? (15/25)
There's nothing here that couldn't be done by a relatively experience pub player. Maybe some more challenging jumps would entertain the match scene.
Gameplay - 55/100
Judge based on how fun the map is to play
Flow - Do you get stuck anywhere? Can you get from place to place without any fuss? (8/15)
No places to get stuck, but no particular flow either.
Items (placed) - Are the items placed in convienient locations? Will they affect gameplay negatively? Are they present at all? (7/10)
Ammo and weapons well placed. Barrel is slightly awkward to get to.
Spawns - Will you get spawn killed? Are the spawns varied enough? Are they fair? (5/10)
If this is played on speed servers, it could probably be spawn camped, but as rick said, probably not too much of an issue as whoever was still alive on the team would probably be found quickly.
Lines - Do the lines look interesting? Are they used for the sake of being used or do they serve a purpose? Is the Visibility of the map good? Can players see other players at certain points only? And does this help or hinder gameplay?(5/15)
Visibility is a bit too high across the mid, though frustratingly bad in low, with the exception of being able to line straight down the tunnel. Seems easy to line.
Capping + Grabbing - Is it too easy/ hard to grab? Is it too easy/ hard to cap? Are the flags worth too much or too little? (20/30)
Other than the jump being less accessibly for totally new players, it seems alright, although I reckon that capping will be more difficult as the flags are lineable quickly from most of mid.
Layout - Are all the paths equal in terms of speed? Is the scale of the map good? (10/20)
Side paths are slower and more awkward than mid. Low is cramped and not useful for newer players To be honest, I think it would benefit quite a lot from some expansion and scaling.
Technical Skill - 38/50
The quality of the mapping techniques used.
R_Speeds - Are the r_speeds low enough for play? Has the mapper done a good job at keeping them low? Will it be laggy for some players? (20/25)
wpoly stays under 1.5k (reflective water off), although there are some places with high wpoly on the side paths with not a lot visible. Should be fine.
Alignments - Are the textures aligned correctly? (8/10)
There are a couple of blocks on the side paths with diagonal corners where the texture is stretched and cut in two. Otherwise, fine.
Brush + Grid work - Is there technique good? Is the grid size appropriate? Have they used clipping planes (if they are relevant)? etc. (10/15)
No particularly inventive brushwork to check against, but there's nothing wrong either.
Innovation - 40/50
Is this map NEW and EXCITING or have we seen it before?
Innovation/ Unique - Have we seen this all before? Or were you impressed by the fresh look of the map? (40/50)
The map filename seems to suggest it is part of a series, but this is the first lego based map I have seen and it does well to fit that theme.
Overall - 268/400
-
Judging posted here: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=26586.msg243260#msg243260
Theme is pretty decent, but could use some variety. You should probably rename some of the textures so they don't have "metal" in the name, as that causes the sounds in the game to behave like a metal surface, which feels out of place. Ice could use some visual distinction. Side path needs to be sped up a lot and/or main path needs to be slowed down. Mid ground to base is slow/awkward, unless you speed jump over it.
The textures need work. The HR4 version is just a scaled up low res version, so that's kind of pointless, and makes it look pixelated.
Uploaded to the beta server. PM me if you need the login info. Can't remember if I've given it to you.
I think you should rename the mapfile to "lostbricks3" "l_bricks3" is harder to remember/identify.
-
@Jitspoe:
Look at the textures again! Just look at the smooth little noise there... I wanted it to be like that! I already worked on those and did pretty good as i think!
@Rick
r_speeds under 2k are no problem at all! Even my old PC with very old nvidia fx5700 and pentium4 gets always over 100fps! I really dont think that this is a problem!
I stopped working on it for a time because i am thinking like bullexcrement and i didnt realized that you guys (Rick and ViciouZ) replied and did some great feedback!
I look forward to expand the base and maybe move the flag to the other side with a staircase in the wall...
Would be nice for gameplay!
-
I think it would look better to have clean, sharp, high-res textures, rather than looking like low res textures with linear filtering turned off. I think it actually looks better with the non-hr4 textures, since there's some filtering to smooth them out.