Digital Paint Discussion Board

Development => General Development => Topic started by: jitspoe on February 21, 2007, 12:57:21 AM

Title: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on February 21, 2007, 12:57:21 AM
Continuing on from this thread: http://forums.planetsuper.com/index.php?topic=2174.0

(about http://www.filterforge.com/)

I've made a few new textures.  Finally got a decent looking wood texture:
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/wizwood1_3.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/wizwood1_2.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/wood1_1.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/tudorwood1.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/ncwood1.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/dung01_3.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/dung01_2.jpg

It's hard to put this thing down.  A lot more fun and rewarding to make textures than it is to code.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Gremlin on February 21, 2007, 01:22:20 AM
wow man. just got these and dropped em in the hr4 folder and cruised through a few maps, they look fantastic, they really pop out at you compared to the older textures. especially the wood1_1 and ncwood1, the white/offwhite really stands out. i love the way these are turning out, glad you're having fun with it too.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: PiCaSSo on February 21, 2007, 11:01:22 AM
Agreed... These are nice!
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Eiii on February 21, 2007, 11:05:29 AM
What's even better is that you can get super hi-res textures of these...
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: S8NSSON on February 22, 2007, 09:00:35 AM
Here's my set of filters:
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/author6274-page1.html

I like my stucco! It might have to go in the Kark map.
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/2097.html

Jitspoe, as i'm sure you're well aware, you are welcome to use any filters or textures I have for in the game if you see anything that you like.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: bitmate on February 22, 2007, 10:40:22 AM
Will all of those new textures be in the next build or do we have to download them manually?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on February 22, 2007, 03:01:51 PM
They're going to be separate downloads, at least until the set is more complete.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: S8NSSON on February 26, 2007, 11:52:00 AM
My two latest filters.

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/2132.html
http://www.filterforge.com/filters/2147.html
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: KnacK on February 26, 2007, 12:55:01 PM
wow is an understatement
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: WarWulf on March 01, 2007, 04:18:17 AM
heh a few i contributed http://www.filterforge.com/filters/author6339-page1.html

i like my cool rock.. it makes all sorts of different textures :P

i like that speaker s8n and jitspoes metal plate

Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: S8NSSON on March 01, 2007, 09:55:58 AM
Thanx Uni.
That rock filter is nice.
The default preset doesn't do it justice though.

I don't know if FF will still give out free copies once they start selling FF, but activity on the site has dropped off dramatically.
This means It's going to be super hard to get the popularity of you filters in order to qualify for a free copy.
Also, I question the judgment a little of the people that decide which filters get "featured". I've seen some not featured filters that look way better than some of the featured ones.
I've tried to make filters that are different from anything featured or popular in hopes I might get in just for filling empty gaps in the filter collection. Hadn't worked yet. I mean, there are a total of 5 filters if you search for the word "stucco". The stucco I did, although it may look unimpressive from the little thumbnail, look amazingly close to the stucco on my house. I thought I did a great job, but alas, like the soup nazi might say "NO FEATURED FOR YOU"!

I just hope I can score a free copy, or find the cash to "maybe" buy a copy, before I get started back on my maps. I could see a whole custom texture pack coming out of FF alone.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: WarWulf on March 01, 2007, 01:57:15 PM
yeah.. i want a free copy too dang it... o well maybe i will make a few more filters and hopfully get a discount...
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on March 23, 2007, 02:54:46 PM
I made a pretty cool beach filter.  It's not useful for much because it doesn't tile well, but I think it looks fairly realistic: http://www.filterforge.com/filters/2329-v5.html
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 05, 2007, 12:48:25 AM
More textures have been added: http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/

I just completed this wwall1_1:
(http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/wwall1_1.jpg)

I tried to keep it truer to the original Quake1 texture:
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: SkateR on April 05, 2007, 01:09:37 AM
(http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/ShaneDroz454/sshot231.jpg?t=1175750076)

Changed the c1 texture to see what it'd look like. I like it.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 05, 2007, 01:16:22 AM
Propaint1 and hellsurvivors both use this texture a fair amount if you're looking to check it out.

Edit: And badlands.  Badlands uses it everywhere.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: SkateR on April 05, 2007, 01:35:10 AM
I can't figure out how to change the size of the image with filterforge. :-/
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 05, 2007, 03:29:17 AM
I can't figure out how to change the size of the image with filterforge. :-/
File|New Image...
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Playah on April 05, 2007, 06:55:07 AM
jits, please delete that metal5_8 from the hr4 page because it doesn't look as nice as the one i had before. It might be from freuds hr4 pack, i dont know anymore:
(http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/7268/metal58vf9.th.jpg) (http://img95.imageshack.us/my.php?image=metal58vf9.jpg)

Btw skater: the old hr4 one looks better for c1. Have tried that one?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 05, 2007, 02:46:17 PM
You don't have to use that one.  I'm just making all of the content in that hr4 directory GPL.  I'm not sure what license the one you posted is under, or even where it came from.  Also, it tiles very poorly.  Looks like a big grid on maps:
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: y00tz on April 05, 2007, 06:07:08 PM
True.  Jitspoe, would you rather textures have CC or GPL?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 05, 2007, 06:50:40 PM
Ideally, I'd like to get everything under one license (the GPL).
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Playah on April 07, 2007, 08:30:16 AM
i got that one either from fourthx or freuds (uni's ?) texture pack i guess. I like the one i use more because yours looks like you painted the whole floor in 1 color.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 16, 2007, 08:49:20 PM
Struggling to get a tile texture I'm satisfied with.  This is probably as good as I'm going to get it...

(http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/b_tile.jpg)

i got that one either from fourthx or freuds (uni's ?) texture pack i guess. I like the one i use more because yours looks like you painted the whole floor in 1 color.

It's not painted, though.  It's metal...
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Eiii on April 16, 2007, 09:16:17 PM
Felt tile? Nice anyway.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 17, 2007, 12:54:27 AM
I was going more for the slate tile look:
http://www.poddarstones.com/images/peacock-blue.jpg
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/images/product/smallImage/5027086146540_ts1_1_l.jpg
http://www.vtslate.com/images/Black_Slate_Floor_2.jpg

But it doesn't want to work well with saturated colors.  If I use more natural colors, the texture looks good, but it looks really washed out/faded in game.  Can't win. :(
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on May 02, 2007, 10:36:22 PM
Now that I've finally gotten permissions corrected on the web server, some metal textures!

(http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/metal1_3.jpg)

(http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/emetal1_3.jpg)

(http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/metal5_8.jpg)
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Eiii on May 02, 2007, 10:37:20 PM
The second one looks kind of odd, and the third just looks like noise...

First is okay, though. Kinda dirtish. Nice work anyway.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on May 03, 2007, 12:47:32 AM
Tweaked the 3rd one and reduced the roughness, though rough textures tend to look a little better in-game because of OpenGL's filtering.  It kind of balances out.

Also, for references, here are the original textures:
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: KnacK on May 03, 2007, 07:52:22 AM
I like those new concrete textures Jit.  Looks like stuff we make at one of my ready mix plants.

Oh, those are supposed to be metal textures??

/me steps away and cleans his glasses
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: S8NSSON on May 03, 2007, 09:16:07 AM
Jitspoe are you going to pack all these up in a single download release?
I mostly read the forums at work and have little need to update anything on me work PC.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on May 03, 2007, 02:11:28 PM
I'll pack them up eventually.  What I need to do is make some automated script that updates a zip every day or so with all the latest highres data.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: ViciouZ on May 10, 2007, 03:26:40 AM
Maybe this is a job for... a batch file.
I'll make you a script to do it. Are you sending the textures from the source machine to ftp, or to a folder on the local machine?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on May 11, 2007, 04:34:00 PM
In this case, it would be a shell script.  You know bash?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Smokey on May 11, 2007, 09:48:49 PM
In this case, it would be a shell script.  You know bash?
I could probably do a bash script if he can't.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Eiii on May 11, 2007, 10:39:02 PM
I prefer perl, mostly because I'm not on linux.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: ViciouZ on May 12, 2007, 04:14:11 AM
Yes, but I'm not too familiar with the commands. I'll have a go.

Edit: Nope, clueless. I'll learn. Smokey, your run.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on November 30, 2007, 09:08:43 PM
Bumping an old topic -- saw a pretty cool filter I thought I'd share:

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/4589.html
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on February 14, 2008, 03:24:58 AM
Felt like making some more HR4 textures with filter forge today:
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/ncmarb1.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/ncstone.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/rock2_1.jpg

ncstone looks good on s8n's (beta) gladiator map.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: WarWulf on February 14, 2008, 03:55:09 AM
i plan on buying the one with all the features soon , i need the bumpmapping\normal feature mostly  for 3dsmax video's :P

right now im using mostly a filter for photoshop called Eye Candy
(http://www.warwulf-inc.com/unf/ownt6.jpg)
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: KnacK on February 14, 2008, 08:44:57 AM
Let me preface thsi next comment by stating that I am in no means artistic at all and I have no desire to be.  I'm lucky that my 2 white sox match.

That being said, it amazes me the graphics that filter forge can make.  I really don't have a clue of how this stuff works other than the final product is pretty kewl.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Garrett on February 14, 2008, 09:42:06 AM
WarWulf picture looks really cool.  Is that a modeled scene?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Zorchenhimer on February 14, 2008, 03:02:06 PM
Felt like making some more HR4 textures with filter forge today:
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/ncmarb1.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/ncstone.jpg
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/rock2_1.jpg

ncstone looks good on s8n's (beta) gladiator map.

Nice.  Are these included in the B21 update?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: WarWulf on February 14, 2008, 03:11:36 PM
WarWulf picture looks really cool.  Is that a modeled scene?


yeah from a short film i plan on making one day :P "A Wolfs Tale ("The Myst of Tommrow")"
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 25, 2008, 12:39:13 AM
Couple more I wrapped up while waiting for metal to cool down between cuts:

http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/stonewal.jpg (castle1 texture)
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/glass1.tga
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/rock5_2.jpg (midnight2 rock)
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Zorchenhimer on April 25, 2008, 12:54:39 AM
Ooooh.  Looks nice.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: ril3s16 on April 28, 2008, 12:36:49 AM
ok so i know how to download these and save em.
few questions:
1. Where do i save them to?
2. If i save them to (whereever they go) will they automaticly replace the other textures?


Please some1 answer
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Eiii on April 28, 2008, 12:48:54 AM
Do not save them yet. You'll get a modified content thingy.

Actually, try HR4. I'm not entirely sure those are checked.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: y00tz on April 28, 2008, 02:28:13 AM
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/rock5_2.jpg (midnight2 rock)

Meant to say this earlier but it looks odd, almost like plastic.  Here's the adjustments I was thinking: http://michaelnuber.com/y_rock5_2-crits.jpg  (The colors still feel off from the original midnight2 rock hue)
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Rick on April 28, 2008, 03:16:36 AM
Do not save them yet. You'll get a modified content thingy.

Actually, try HR4. I'm not entirely sure those are checked.
>.< I already saved them.....I thought they were ready for release.
I saved them to hR4 and used them and i didnt get a modified content "thingy"
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on April 29, 2008, 12:33:39 PM
Meant to say this earlier but it looks odd, almost like plastic.  Here's the adjustments I was thinking: http://michaelnuber.com/y_rock5_2-crits.jpg  (The colors still feel off from the original midnight2 rock hue)
They're about half way between the original texture and the standalone texture.  Did you try the texture in-game?  I think what you've posted would be too dark.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: y00tz on April 29, 2008, 12:50:17 PM
I meant, the colors of what I posted were off, but the sheen and texture felt right.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on May 12, 2008, 04:07:54 AM
http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/city5_3.jpg

Makes rome look pretty nice.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: ViciouZ on July 22, 2008, 09:40:36 AM
My first filter good enough to release:

http://www.filterforge.com/filters/5876.html
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: Kaos on July 23, 2008, 01:22:13 AM
kinda reminds me of lego's
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: KnacK on July 23, 2008, 08:57:40 AM
it remintes me of a solid metal surface mount contact switch.

Usually have large center buttons then 4 holes at the corners for mounting.

btw - good job
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: S8NSSON on July 23, 2008, 10:58:25 AM
i have enough points for a free copy...kind of waiting to see if I can get enough for a free-for-life deal (need two more points i think)
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: y00tz on July 23, 2008, 11:33:07 AM
Uhh, ViciouZ how did you generate the normal maps? They don't look accurate..
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: ViciouZ on July 23, 2008, 12:31:21 PM
The program does it for you.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: KnacK on July 23, 2008, 04:25:16 PM
How do you get points?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: ViciouZ on July 23, 2008, 05:19:27 PM
You make a filter and it gets to "high" usage rank.

1 point 20% off
2 points 50% off
3 points free copy
5 points free upgrades for life
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on September 02, 2008, 01:06:46 AM
Took a shot at some barrel textures.  This program is kind of addicting - probably took a lot longer coming up with the right combination of filters than it would have to just photoshop (or gimp) some textures, but I kind of like the challenge.

(http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/r_brl2.jpg)

(http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4/w_brl2.jpg)

The rest of the barrel textures are in http://dplogin.com/files/textures/pball/hr4
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: y00tz on September 02, 2008, 01:08:49 AM
Wow those are the first Filter Forge textures I've seen that don't look like they were made in FF Good job :)
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: T3RR0R15T on September 02, 2008, 10:25:32 AM
The rock5_2.jpg look a little bit palish.

The barrels are not bad. I miss the rust on the ground (like the old hr4 barrels). U made a new lid too?
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: jitspoe on September 07, 2008, 07:29:12 PM
Just came across this filter that I found rather impressive: http://www.filterforge.com/filters/6133.html - I like how he scaled the texture  to give it the illusion of perspective.  Pretty clever.
Title: Re: Filter Forge
Post by: KnacK on September 07, 2008, 08:01:05 PM
METAL CRATES FTW!!!!!!!