Digital Paint Discussion Board
Development => Mapping => Map Graveyard => Topic started by: Clipz on April 13, 2007, 11:08:52 AM
-
Ive been working on my newest map for a bit of time now. Just not all at once so its not going as fast as i hoped it would. I got some SS's..
(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Mike_Gallo/sshot024.jpg)
Vally/Canyon
(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Mike_Gallo/sshot025.jpg)
Vally/Canyon to underground caves.
(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Mike_Gallo/sshot026.jpg)
Front of castle.
(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Mike_Gallo/sshot027.jpg)
Inside of castle (left of entrance)
(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Mike_Gallo/sshot028.jpg)
Inside of castle (straight)
(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Mike_Gallo/sshot029.jpg)
Inside castle (right)
(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Mike_Gallo/sshot030.jpg)
Entrance in the back of the castle from caves.
(http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k238/Mike_Gallo/sshot031.jpg)
Top of castle over water/canyon
More to come.. Ive got 3 weeks left of school then ill hopefully work on it a lot. I'm hoping ill have it release for the end of spring.
-
looks liek a siege map? awesome work again clipz :)
-
Looks good, but I woulkd be interested in a different texture for either the ceiling or walls.
-
Na its not a siege i'm just working on the first base still.
Yeah knack I've been thinking about that.
-
Yea clipz, the main wall texture doesnt fit the castle very well... im sure you could use a better wall texture.
Map looks great so far and i like the gates you got setup.
-
Clipz's Crag Cest? Hehe, I was half expecting to see a tiny DM map filled with automags.
- As others have suggested, you need to use a different texture for the walls. That's more of a loose outdoor patio brick texture that's designed to be on the ground. It's not something that would be structurally sound to build walls out of and just looks kind of weird.
- Ditch the "CC" text on the front of the castle. Text built out of brushes looks really cheesy in general.
- The reflected light looks way too bright. Are you using the wals from the latest BSP pack? (1st shot: where the grass meets the walls, it looks like it's glowing in several areas, 3rd shot: where the right tower meets the castle wall, there's another mysterious glow, and the inside of the castle looks really bright).
- Grass doesn't grow underwater.
- Use a bigger grid! I see several areas (5th shot in particular) where there are a lot of "half bricks". You need to be using a grid size of at least 16 or 32 so everything lines up cleanly (this will save a lot of headaches in the future if you keep your whole map aligned well).
- Needs more detail and variation. The floors are all solid wood, and the walls/ceiling are all the same texture as well. I'd suggest looking at some pictures of real castles for inspiration. Some quick google searches:
http://www.answers.com/topic/chepstow-castle-interior-1-jpg
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/bute/rothesaycastle/images/hall.jpg
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/bute/rothesaycastle/index.html
http://www.wyevalleyhistory.net/LOWV%20images/Wilton%20Castle%20interior%2001.jpg
http://www.dudleymall.co.uk/loclhist/rayner/samknole.jpg
http://www.pantomusicals.co.uk/dracula/digital/0201_castleinterior.jpg
Edit: Almost forgot -- the last shot looks like you have some nasty brush overlap going on. Bad, bad, bad. :)
-
The brightness is because i set world spawn to 10 but ill fix it.
Also the CC stands for College Court... Castles
-
I had a chance to play this way back... why are you just now showing the rest of the community your work?
-
Does it lag much? The open outside area just sends lag shivers up my spine, I hope it doesn't.
-
This looks fun, I can't wait to try it out.
-
looks like it be bad ass looking wit hr4 textures all through out it, the reflective water will look nice, and i agree CCC does look corny, maybe add a secret credit room like in the quake2, hehe, then its out the way but still in the game,
i like how it looks big, i like roomy excrement dawg!
-
"- Grass doesn't grow underwater."
Go out a bit more. Seagrass (or seaweed or whatever) is green and grows in ponds, ditches and other water areas.
Looks good Clipz.
-
Does it lag much? The open outside area just sends lag shivers up my spine, I hope it doesn't.
Not it actualy doesnt as you can see my fps are fine
I had a chance to play this way back... why are you just now showing the rest of the community your work?
I dont know why i waited... i havent had to much time to work on it right now.. i got some spare time so decided to do it now.
-
- Ditch the "CC" text on the front of the castle. Text built out of brushes looks really cheesy in general.
You could always make a pic in photoshop or a similar program and stick it there. Not sure what I mean? Take a look at ub_rooftop (the graffiti on the walls).
-
Not it actualy doesnt ass you can see my fps are fine
ass, lawl
alright, well I get 1000fps on most maps about all the time so I was still wonderin, lol
-
I know I have not updated in quite sometime now well my lifes been hectic in the past months. Should be alot better now and ive done some more touches to it i added a tunnel from middle low to the back of the castle added a few crates making touches to the castle ill have some ss's to follow soon sometime next week.
-
I think either of these may be a pretty cool texture for the wall:
-
Ya those look good I'd use the second one if I were you.
-
Love the bottom one as well. Good job y00tz! :)
-
Love the bottom one as well. Good job y00tz! :)
As usual.
-
Agreed.
-
I want the next beta or final please.
-
Just played the next beta today, and it still needs some work/tweaks done.
-
Heh, The map is Finished. I started working on some tweaks that olbaid wanted me to do.. i tried making the rocks on the side higher so you cant see a tunnel.. but i went to far and couldn't undo it all and messed it up and went to compile it to see what i had to fix and it was giving me errors. I forgot when i compile it, it overwrites the .map file :( but i do have the map done well almost besides alignment in mid and 1 mis texture but i guess we will have to live with it i want to beta test the map before i release it to the community. Id look for a release date around mid/late February.
- Clipz
-
but i went to far and couldn't undo it all and messed it up and went to compile it to see what i had to fix and it was giving me errors. I forgot when i compile it, it overwrites the .map file :(
ive done that....
i had to decompile an old version of it and start from there
-
I tried to decompile i kept getting errors.
-
This is why you should save the map to a different file name every time you do a major change. Also, you'd probably have better luck fixing your .map than decompiling. Decompiling makes a mess out of things.
-
Id look for a release date around mid/late February.
- Clipz
WEWT! :D
-
Well Here ya go people...
http://clipz.viciouz.co.uk/maps/ccc.bsp
Now before you go and revise the map remember that I CANT fix anything due to my stupid donkey saving over the old .map files.
Just thought I would let you know that so you dont go wasting your time.
I know about the vise error in the middle going to the low paths.. nothing i can do about it. I know i messed up the stairs on one side(texture) but you will all have to deal with it. The map has 2 flags in each base adding up to a total of 9 points.
The map supports up to 8v8 with the spawns, limited ammo in the map besides the ammo room in base so use it wisely.
- Clipz
Edit: Also if someone would like to spend the time to decompile fix errors and re align the crap that winbspc makes feel free and you can also slap your name undermine. Just please let me know if you are going to and get my approval.
-
thats so .... awesome. i said it few months ago and say it again. good job clipz looks like a new darkenss homemap :D
-
get stuck in a few places.
-
r-speed's killing me :(
-
Also ive uploaded a demo of a cool backdoor type jump on ccc
http://clipz.viciouz.co.uk/files/cc2cc_010.dm2
-
Only one way to 2nd Flag? i mean, there are 2 ways, but only i way to get the flag
-
I imagine about 90% of players won't even be able to get to the second flag. :-\ Even if they could, it's in a really bad position. The lighting looks like it went through a really low quality compile - it's all blocky. I get like 13fps in the middle area on my laptop. I hate to say it, but this map really needs some work before being released. What did you overwrite the old map file with?
-
Well i went to make some new adjustments worked on it for a few hours to realize i messed up badly and ruined the map.
I went to compile to look at what i had done and it auto rewrites a new .map file which saved over my old ones ;/
-
Clipz, what OS do you use?
-
Clipz, what OS do you use?
xp
-
Clipz, what OS do you use?
Yeah, I had the same thought :-/
Vista isn't always bad :-D
-
I imagine about 90% of players won't even be able to get to the second flag. :-\
Dont think so cause every pub player has a dj script
Vote for DJ-Script -> Cheat Detection
-
How badly did you screw up? Can't you work with it and get it straightened out?
Viper: I doubt that many do, to be honest.
-
I guess i could do some work sometime i have half of the map with out the mid saved, but that will be alot of work.
-
Well, I think the mid needs to be reworked anyway because of the r_speeds.
-
not sure if this was already mentioned, but you can get stuck on the metal doors near flag 2. if you drop down from above.
EDIT: nvm you can get out. but you have to sorta wiggle i guess.
-
CCC= Clackamus Community College?
lol
-
i love this map.
-
CCC= Clackamus Community College?
lol
lol.. College Court Castles