Digital Paint Discussion Board

Digital Paint Community => Other Stuff => Topic started by: KiLo on May 30, 2007, 10:42:06 PM

Title: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: KiLo on May 30, 2007, 10:42:06 PM
I just got a new laptop and I wanted to setup a network. So I used the Home Network Setup Utility. The problem is it looks like my laptop does not have permission to see the network. And I can not see my laptop from my desktop.

Funny thing is about 8 months ago I had an Mac on my home network and that worked just fine but now I have a windows laptop and it won't intercoursein work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
KiLo
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: KnacK on May 30, 2007, 10:56:36 PM
make sure that all of the pc's are in the same workgroup.

Also, make sure the firewall isn't locked down so tight as to not be able to see the other pc's.  Can the other pc's see your laptop?
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: KiLo on May 30, 2007, 11:15:20 PM
Well it is definitely not the firewall, I shut it completely down. No the other PCs can not see my laptop.
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: MaDMaN on May 31, 2007, 07:40:20 AM
try. //computername/C$
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: jitspoe on May 31, 2007, 01:48:26 PM
How is your network set up?  You using a router, switch, what?  Wireless?
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: KiLo on May 31, 2007, 01:51:54 PM
I'm using a router. And like I said before it used to work but now it won't.


Edit: This is kind of strange. I have internet but I am not able to connect to any other network resources. I just pinged my desktop and I got Request Timed Out. It seems like the router is not recognizing that my laptop is part of the network.

Edit2: I sent 4 packets and lost all 4 of them.
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: Eiii on May 31, 2007, 06:24:47 PM
For some odd reason, wired networks are tons harder to set up than wireless networks. My current router works great for both, just plug in and it connects you. On the other hand, I have an older wired router I wanted to use, and couldn't get it to work for the life of me.

Sooo... have fun.
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: jitspoe on May 31, 2007, 09:00:34 PM
Did you ping the desktop by IP or by name?
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: lekky on May 31, 2007, 09:25:01 PM
because hes 9x the newbie! :P
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: KiLo on May 31, 2007, 10:40:22 PM
Did you ping the desktop by IP or by name?

I pinged it by IP.
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: jitspoe on June 01, 2007, 02:07:05 PM
I dunno... windows networks always tend to be a bit flaky.  Just try plugging/unplugging, setting/resetting things until it magically decides to work.
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: Zorchenhimer on June 01, 2007, 02:35:30 PM
Just try plugging/unplugging, setting/resetting things until it magically decides to work.

Sorry, but that made me laugh really, really hard. Thats the way just about all of my windows stuff works.
Title: Re: Windows XP Home Network Trouble
Post by: KiLo on June 01, 2007, 08:39:57 PM
I just bought another modem today and hooked it up and it would not connect to my DSL. So I just plugged/unplugged the cable and then poof it worked. :D