Digital Paint Discussion Board

Paintball 2: The Game => Help and Support => Resolved Help & Support => Topic started by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 01:22:54 AM

Title: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 01:22:54 AM
Is there any way that I can start a new game, and have a friend come and join it? He is NOT on my LAN, but surely there is a way, right? Thanks in advance!
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: KiLo on June 27, 2007, 01:25:48 AM
Find your IP out at http://www.ipchicken.com and then have your friend type connect <IP Here> in his console.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Spook on June 27, 2007, 01:26:36 AM
thought your title meant something else... lol

start the game, and if it's LAN have him connect to your external ip. if you don't know it www.ipchicken.com should be able to give it to you.

edit* beat by kilo but posting anyway
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 01:27:42 AM
I tried that, but he says it keeps saying, "connecting to 71.220.236.2" over and over, and when I try to connect to him, it does the same for a different IP. Is there something I'm missing?
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Cobo on June 27, 2007, 01:29:01 AM
You also need to specify the port number, I think.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 01:29:42 AM

start the game, and if it's LAN


IHe is NOT on my LAN,
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: KiLo on June 27, 2007, 01:30:42 AM
edit* beat by kilo but posting anyway

Well I am almost like the support specialist when it comes to servers.

Davy: Try typing connect 71.220.236.2:27910, having the port at the end may help. Also make sure that your firewall allows paintball2 and make sure that your router is forwarding packets on port 27910. If you have a router and need help forwarding ports try http://www.portforward.com.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 01:30:59 AM
Like, 71.220.236.2:XXXXX ? Where do I get a port number  ::)
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: KiLo on June 27, 2007, 01:31:44 AM
Look at my last post. You can also open the console and type port to find it.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 01:31:57 AM
Alright, let me give that a shot...
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Zorchenhimer on June 27, 2007, 01:33:48 AM
If he is behind a router, he needs to forward his ports (http://portforward.com/).
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: KiLo on June 27, 2007, 01:34:45 AM
and make sure that your router is forwarding packets on port 27910. If you have a router and need help forwarding ports try http://www.portforward.com.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Zorchenhimer on June 27, 2007, 01:35:41 AM
... so it took me a while to hit "post". :P
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 01:37:11 AM
Nope, nothing...
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Cobo on June 27, 2007, 01:40:39 AM
Hm... This is gonna sound like a stupid question but...
Has any of you even started the server?
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: KiLo on June 27, 2007, 01:41:53 AM
Ok then here is an easy solution:

1. Follow the llink: http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=6131.0
2. Pick one and get the server.
2. Give the IP and password to your friend.
3. Have fun while playing.


Cobo: I thought he was talking about starting a LAN game and then giving his friend the IP which I have heard works but I have never tried it myself.

Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Zorchenhimer on June 27, 2007, 01:58:24 AM
Has any of you even started the server?

At school I would host all the time, but that was on a LAN (a monstrous LAN too), so I didn't have to deal with any port forwarding.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: y00tz on June 27, 2007, 02:42:57 AM
Has any of you even started the server?

At school I would host all the time, but that was on a LAN (a monstrous LAN too), so I didn't have to deal with any port forwarding.

I think he meant the original poster and his bud.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Cobo on June 27, 2007, 11:34:40 AM
Yep.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Zorchenhimer on June 27, 2007, 11:47:26 AM
I think he meant the original poster and his bud.

I know, just thought I'd throw that in there.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 02:34:32 PM
What I tried to do was start a LAN game, and have him join.  He is NOT ON MY LAN. So maybe it would work for other people, but not me, even though I opened up the port. So, if I start a server, could I do what I want with it? Or are the servers that you linked me to just an auto-run game that I can't add any bots to?

My friend and I like to play together in a game that we can change the settings in, like addbot, and all of the gravity settings and stuff. That's all we're trying to do. Is there a way that won't be too laggy? Because I know that I tried to get a server running for CS 1.6, but that was horrible...
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 05:32:04 PM
How do you do this? Every time I try to get into the server, it doesn't even ask for a password, it just says, "Bad Password; Connection Refused", or something like that.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Davv on June 27, 2007, 05:32:51 PM
^^^ Talking about the server link.
Title: Re: How do I DIRECTLY connect to a friend?
Post by: Matze on June 27, 2007, 05:46:21 PM
1. Those servers are hosted by clans and are free for others to use, though they normally just give out lvl 50 login (automatically), so you can't change gravity and add bots.
2.If it says bad password on a server you want to join, you've got to type "password <thepassword>" into console.
If you register a server about that link it should give you the server password, that's the one you need for joining the server, and the login password makes you able to log in to the server in order to change maps ( open up console, "login <loginpassword>" ).

If you start a new game, have checed firewall, ports ect he should be able to join through your external IP.