Digital Paint Discussion Board

Development => Mapping => Map Graveyard => Topic started by: SmackWaters on July 17, 2007, 08:19:23 PM

Title: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 17, 2007, 08:19:23 PM
Well, I took a break from working on swamptime and made a quick map, which i named Landscape since i couldn't think of a better name. I may or may not continue working on it, depending on the response I get. (There is only one path so far, not to mention it needs more cluttering)

edit: the second download is the newest version, info can be found farther down
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: maxpower on July 17, 2007, 09:48:27 PM
Looks good, hard to tell without more shots :P
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Eiii on July 17, 2007, 10:21:18 PM
I disagree. >_> It's just lacking a lot of simple detail. Like not having huge channels of water with completely straight edges that are made of grass, or having some kind of texture transition.
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Spook on July 17, 2007, 10:33:29 PM
SS 1, move the flag so that the grey is only visible instead of the flag itself
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: y00tz on July 17, 2007, 11:55:23 PM
Looks good :D
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Magical-Tree on July 18, 2007, 08:45:46 AM
Looks very boxy, try breaking it up with some angles and such...



~MT
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 19, 2007, 10:47:13 PM
Update:
Changed middle
Added 2nd route through cave
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Spook on July 19, 2007, 11:03:05 PM
fix that ladder!!! it looks fugly...
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: jitspoe on July 25, 2007, 05:14:26 PM
Usual demo revision suggestions attached.

The map has been uploaded to the beta server as well (see pm).
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Corporal Perez on July 25, 2007, 05:42:51 PM
Cool bridge
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 25, 2007, 11:14:12 PM
Alright, I'll check those revisions.
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 26, 2007, 02:13:05 AM
Beta 3 done!  :P

Here are some pics of things jitspoe wanted fixed that i fixed:

(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/rock.jpg)
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/light.jpg)
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/ladder.jpg)
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/hardtocamp.jpg)
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/exitbehindflag.jpg)
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/crates.jpg)

And now for some pics of the map updates:

These are the new area behind the flag
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/b32.jpg)
(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/b31.jpg)

and a shot of the map in bsp..

(http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/windmill_bucket/bsp.jpg)

Finally, the map download:

Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: y00tz on July 26, 2007, 02:16:04 AM
Tsk tsk, KnacK's poor 56k connection will die with that last post...
Anyway, lookin' good man, I liked it from the beginning, but I bet this or the next will be the last beta, it's reallly coming along.

-y00tz
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 26, 2007, 02:24:58 AM
Tsk tsk, KnacK's poor 56k connection will die with that last post...
Anyway, lookin' good man, I liked it from the beginning, but I bet this or the next will be the last beta, it's reallly coming along.

-y00tz
Thanks y00tz, your support means a lot to me.




















I guess. ;)

Knack's got 56k?  :o I got 768k Roadrunner  ;D
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: jitspoe on July 26, 2007, 06:02:27 PM
Demo attached.  Three words of advice:

Use the grid!

Also, the map is in rotation on the beta server.

Edit: I think I neglected to cover this in the demo, but on one side of your water, it didn't touch the wall, so you could see the warp effect.
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 27, 2007, 01:01:46 AM
What does 'node with unbounded volume' mean? I've been getting this error..

edit: Well, I fixed whatever it was
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 27, 2007, 04:06:39 AM
-beta4 out-

I tried to fix all of the things jitspoe mentioned in the demo (lots of little edges, and used the grid  ;)), so this should be the final release. Although there are a few little things jitspoe might bother me about, so I renamed it b4_landscape for now.

Some shots of some of the bigger things I've changed and the map download:
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: y00tz on July 27, 2007, 10:18:21 AM
Looks pretty good, I think that even if you're planning on making it your final release, you should still release a beta. i.e. newcave_b4 or whatever, and if it's the final release, we can rename it, or re-download it after you rename it and upload.

Time to go play :d
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Apocalypse on July 27, 2007, 12:16:46 PM
Very nicely done I'll download it in a bit.
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 27, 2007, 01:27:39 PM
Looks pretty good, I think that even if you're planning on making it your final release, you should still release a beta. i.e. newcave_b4 or whatever, and if it's the final release, we can rename it, or re-download it after you rename it and upload.

Or, If it's not the final, you can rename it b4_landscape :D

Changed all the downloads to "b4_landscape.bsp"  :P
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Zorchenhimer on July 27, 2007, 01:36:37 PM
O.o

Quote
You are not allowed to access this section

That happens when I click the download link. Jits?
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 27, 2007, 01:38:53 PM
Hmm, it lets me download.
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: y00tz on July 27, 2007, 02:04:29 PM
Odd Zorch, perhaps you tried to download it between the time it was removed and the new, renamed file was uploaded?

Anyway:  http://zilla-clan.net/upload/342419
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Zorchenhimer on July 27, 2007, 02:31:38 PM
Hmm, maybe. Oh well.

Thanks y00tz
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: jitspoe on July 27, 2007, 03:36:42 PM
Don't have time to look at it right now, so I'll just comment on the screenshots:

1st shot: You need to avoid having water at multiple levels, as it needs to render the scene multiple times for the reflections.  This causes a hard hit on framerates.  Also, why is there just a big block of water there?  Where is it coming from?  How is it being suspended like that?  It just plain looks weird.  Also, the rocks around it are really square and unnatural looking.  And I see brush misalignment on the right side.  What did I tell you about the grid? :P

2nd shot:  Hard to tell much from that angle, but it looks like you've made the rock a lot more solid looking, which is good.  The texturing is still inconsistent, though.  You might even consider using grass on the more level areas.

3rd shot: Several wood textures need to be rotated on that structure above the ladder.  The ladder looks better, but still a bit thick, maybe.  You might play with y00tz's unit conversion tool to see just how big those rugs really are and compare them to that of a real ladder.  The stair texture looks better, but it still looks like it's a metal texture (kind of hard to tell from the shot).  Metal could work if you made stairs that look something like this: http://christophermetals.com/Images-home/index_r5_c7.jpg  - but with solid stairs like you have, concrete will look more realistic.  Also, that huge block of wood next to the stairs looks a bit unrealistic as well.  In fact, most of the wood structures do -- where would you find trees big enough to build something like that? :)

Keep up the good work, though.
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 27, 2007, 07:17:47 PM
Any chance of this version being uploaded to the beta server? You probably don't need the older versions anymore.
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: Rick on July 28, 2007, 04:32:44 AM
Nice work, i cant even load textures lol. Really good map, Nice work
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on July 28, 2007, 12:26:50 PM
Nice work, i cant even load textures lol. Really good map, Nice work
Thanks! =)
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SWSoggyWaffles on July 28, 2007, 05:43:25 PM
cool map smacks
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: jitspoe on October 14, 2012, 10:58:58 PM
I haven't seen SmackWaters around in a while, but I figured I'd go ahead and post some feedback, anyway.  The map rolled around in the beta map rotation when we had a bunch of people playing, and it was pretty well received.  My biggest complaint is the wall that stops you if you try to go up the middle ramp on the right side, but other than that the high and low paths flow together pretty well.  The floating crates that sink when you stand on them is a nice touch.  There are a bunch of little alignment issues and such, but I won't bother going into that if SmackWaters has disappeared forever.  The base is probably too easy to defend as well.
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: SmackWaters on May 06, 2013, 06:15:28 PM
It's been ages since I've logged into these forums, but I happened to be poking around on the internet today and ended up here. I saw you had posted so I thought I'd reply... thank you for the feedback! While I don't really have any interest in working on these maps any further, I just wanted to say that it was so amusing to read through all the old posts on here. This community was fun, and mapping for and playing this game is a cherished memory from my teenage years. (A lot of the maps from around 2006-7 are still on my PC - lots of jumping puzzles, community maps, and other odd maps I downloaded back then.) That being said, looking back on some things I wrote or said to people on these forums, I've had some good "cringe" moments here and there... It's really interesting how the internet can effectively chronicle your life during a time period. This was one of the only forums I ever got involved with during those years. All in all, just wanted to say that this forum and game were always interesting, and thanks to jitspoe for providing that experience... free of charge! It's crazy how much a video game sticks with you as you grow up, and I'll never forget this game. Thanks again!
Title: Re: A quick map, Landscape
Post by: jitspoe on May 07, 2013, 03:30:19 PM
You can always come back and play again. ;)