Digital Paint Discussion Board
Digital Paint Community => Other Stuff => Topic started by: jitspoe on August 08, 2007, 02:14:09 AM
-
This is kind of frustrating. When I went to load the images off of my camera after my trip to Oregon, I noticed some of them came out corrupted. Only 4 or 5 were really bad, but a handful had a few rows of pixels missing at the end. I have never had this happen before. I thought something was screwed up with the transfer, so I tried installing the Canon drivers, switching communication modes, using different applications, etc. I noticed when I used Picasa, it had red X's indicating basically ALL of the images were corrupt. The strange thing is, when I view the images on the camera itself, they don't look corrupt. The first image is COMPLETELY gone, except for about 10 rows of pixels at the top, which only display in Picasa (Windows viewer just says "drawing failed.").
This was from the first card I used. I had a 1 gig card prior to the trip, and when it was nearly full, I purchased a second one. The second one appears to be fine, but I haven't done thorough testing on it yet. I'm hesitant to wipe the card until I know what I've got is as good as it's going to get. There might be some repair program I can use to recover the data. The camera can still read it fine, after all, but I'm not sure if there's other information being stored elsewhere.
-
What happens in Oregon stays in Oregon. Seriously.
At least copy all the data over to your computer and try to fix it there. I don't think it matters if they're on your computer or your camera, so long as all the ways you've tried to transfer them have yielded the same results.
-
There might be some repair program I can use to recover the data.
It may take a few days to find (seriously) but I have a link somewhere about some freeware that can get information from 'corrupt' images and restore them, I'll peruse my bookmarks in a sec, but I was hoping to see some map-inspiring shots (and some texture source shots? :P) I hope you can get them to turn out.. you don't think that since you used a Canon but work for Kodak they... no certainly the Kodak minions didn't... did they?
-
This is the image that was the most corrupt (zipped so it doesn't try to fill the window with a huge, broken image). I don't actually care about it -- it's just a picture of my cat that I took before going on the trip -- but I would be curious to see if it can be repaired.
-
Jits, I tried to open the image in every possible program that might open it. QuickTime gave me a big black box, gimp spit out an error, and Inkscape showed the top 20-30 rows of pixels. But, get this, VLC player opened up the image. It was small but it worked, for ~2 seconds then crashed. I couldn't get a screenie of it for some reason, so I took a pic with my cell. Sorry for the blurryness.
-
If you ever want to see your precious little kitty again... (in JPG form) you'll send y00tz and Zorch low GLS id numbers muahaha..
-
Heh, I didn't know VLC did images.
And just in case y00tz didn't PM you how to do it:
Open image with VLC
Press space really fast to make it 'pause', and keep it from crashing
To make the image of good quality, Video->Deinterlace->Bob
Double-tap space multiple times to quickly start/stop 'playback' until the whole image is visible
Right-click, screenshot
Next image!
And all that I respectfully request is that you add these two smilies to the forum:
-
(http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8386.0;attach=3070;image)
I guess that means all the image data is there. I wonder what actually caused the corruption, though, and if it's safe to use that CF card anymore.
-
...Add them to the forum smiley set. >_>
EDIT: And tell me what characters are needed to use them. <_<
-
You know, I think there was a thread for submitting requests and voting on them. I saw it a while back. (http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8386.0;attach=3071;image)
-
That was silly in-game stuff. This is for the forum, which is what really matters.
-
Post removed
-
Looks like yootz had a good copy all I got was the top edge . What you open it with yootz?
I Don't know if this helps but this is what it shows on vueprint:
-
This is how (I think) y00tz did it:
http://dplogin.com/forums/index.php?topic=8386.msg88102#msg88102
-
WOW EIEIO all you had to say was look at your post on VLC in this thread.
Oh wow jits I just filtered out a picture, all i can say is WTF?
Jits captured an alien stealing a bus stop sign.
-
^^ I LOLed :(
-
WOW EIEIO all you had to say was look at your post on VLC in this thread.
Because that answered your question as to what he opened it with?