Digital Paint Discussion Board

Digital Paint Community => Other Stuff => Topic started by: atmays on October 01, 2007, 10:26:31 AM

Title: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: atmays on October 01, 2007, 10:26:31 AM
OK I think the lag is my computer

I need help in diagonosing this

SO first I need to know a great anti-virus spyware program so I can scan my comp.

Lately I have found a few of my programs not working, in which convinced me that I have something in my comp.

I torrented Norton Anti-Virus but I think that prob was the problem. But Not sure. I jus need as many tips as possible. I came to the best place in the world to get this help.

Help me out thank you.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: KnacK on October 01, 2007, 10:29:04 AM
remove all existing spyware anti blocker anti virus software that you have installed

go download AVG and adaware

then download spybot search and destroy.

Run these in safe mode on your pc and see what happens.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: atmays on October 01, 2007, 10:33:50 AM
ok
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: S8NSSON on October 01, 2007, 11:27:04 AM
FYI: Downloading warez is your choice, but take my advice please...

DO NOT trust you anti virus to warez. BUY YOUR AV...not too expensive.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: KiLo on October 01, 2007, 11:30:24 AM
Here atmays try this out. http://savefile.com/files/1092908 <----Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: atmays on October 01, 2007, 11:39:42 AM
Here atmays try this out. http://savefile.com/files/1092908 <----Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition

Why dont I trust this, should I go with my judgement
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: KnacK on October 01, 2007, 11:47:15 AM
Just download AVG and be done with it.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: atmays on October 01, 2007, 11:54:54 AM
ok knack

and I have a computer thats been sitting for like a year and a half. I was told I need a Dell system recovery disk, any Idea whre i can get one.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: KiLo on October 01, 2007, 11:56:12 AM
Actually I got that from my school and uploaded it just for you.

I was told I need a Dell system recovery disk, any Idea whre i can get one.

Maybe you can get one from Dell. :P
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: atmays on October 01, 2007, 11:58:30 AM
I tried but they said I would have to find one another way since they only ship with new comps. The lady said that I can get one from someone with a Dell.


And KNACK is it ad-aware
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: KnacK on October 01, 2007, 12:09:14 PM
what is the system tag on the dell pc?
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: atmays on October 01, 2007, 12:17:58 PM
what is the system tag on the dell pc?

I think by tag you mean / XP home edition ,,, correct
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: KiLo on October 01, 2007, 12:19:27 PM
If I could I would copy my reinstallation CD that I got from Dell and send it to you.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: KnacK on October 01, 2007, 01:27:19 PM
Dell pcs have a "system tag" used as a reference to uniquely identify the pc to Dell.

For example, an old server here is 77HHV11.

THese are usually located on a sticker on teh back panel of pc's.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: Xena on October 01, 2007, 02:16:24 PM
anti-virus program - kaspersky and you can try the free online scanners... McAfee has one
free anti-virus program - AVG or advast

anti-spyware - spybot and adaware. both are free, however, adaware has pay person... the free version is fine.

you should have a recovery disc that came with the computer... if not, call dell up...
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: atmays on October 01, 2007, 02:22:49 PM
Service tag 5R3LQ31

I think thats waht you lookin for
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: KnacK on October 01, 2007, 02:46:14 PM
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&ServiceTag=5R3LQ31&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_CEL_2400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Well unfortunately I dont have a disc for that. All i have are for Latitudes and Optiplex's.

Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: jitspoe on October 04, 2007, 01:46:02 AM
Anti-virus software usually just slows your computer down (unless you're prone to actually getting viruses).  As long as you don't open executables from questionable sources, set windows explorer to show file extensions (whoever thought of hiding file extensions needs to be shot in the face), don't use outlook, and don't use internet explorer, you should be good to go.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: Zorchenhimer on October 04, 2007, 11:21:21 AM
(whoever thought of hiding file extensions needs to be shot in the face), don't use outlook, and don't use internet explorer

Haha! That made me laugh. But I couldn't agree more.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: Xena on October 04, 2007, 10:35:03 PM
Haha! That made me laugh. But I couldn't agree more.

doesn't mac hid extensions?
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: y00tz on October 04, 2007, 11:18:24 PM
doesn't mac hid extensions?

Mac viruses < PC viruses
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: Xena on October 05, 2007, 12:51:08 AM
Mac viruses < PC viruses
true... but it's been a few years since i've used a mac...
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: Eiii on October 05, 2007, 01:16:46 AM
My experiences haven't been great.

1: QWERTY keyboard makes my hands weep. I can't find anywhere to change this.
"Hey, do you know where I can change my keyboard layout?"
"Uhhh... no."
Mac tech support guys apparently only know how to tell you to use photoshop and make new files. UP A LEVEL, to the actual tech support guy
"How can I change keyboard layout?!?"
"Oh, we don't have the permissions set for that. You can't, right now."
"Will you be able to change the permissions?"
"Well, we can't give you access to only part of the control panel..."

Awesome! Now I can't type.
Dubmest permissions ever.


2: The 'Mighty Mouse' or whatever the hell it's called. It doesn't work. I can't click unless I really try to click entirely on the left side of the mouse. HINT: To make a two-button mouse, you need to actually include TWO SEPARATE BUTTONS. The omni-directional scroll ball in the middle is a good idea, but it's so insensitive that I felt like I was about to get carpal tunnel after about two minutes of working on something I had to scroll to the left and/or right with. Maybe you can change the sensitivity in the prefs panel, but I CAN'T GET TO ANY OF THAT.
Also, the thumb buttons trigger at the lightest touch. That gets really annoying while trying to do some precision photoshop work. I actually brought my own mouse, discovered you could daisy-chain the keyboards, and set up my mouse connected about ten keyboards down, just for fun. Mac tech guy wasn't very happy, but I put everything back and not many other people were there.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: Zorchenhimer on October 05, 2007, 01:55:13 AM
doesn't mac hid extensions?

I wouldn't know. I don't use Mac. I use XP and Ubuntu (Xubuntu actually).

Edit:

I actually brought my own mouse, discovered you could daisy-chain the keyboards, and set up my mouse connected about ten keyboards down, just for fun. Mac tech guy wasn't very happy

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: jitspoe on October 08, 2007, 04:17:55 PM
Moving this thread to other stuff since it's not paintball2 related.

I tried that mighty mouse once - Best buy had some mac crap on display.  Worst. Mouse. Ever.  (excluding previous mac mice).  Apple tried to reinvent the wheel and it still isn't round.  I do like some of their keyboard designs, though.  I hate how so many keyboards have 2 square feet of extra crap that I never use.
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: Zorchenhimer on October 09, 2007, 12:26:03 AM
I do like some of their keyboard designs, though.  I hate how so many keyboards have 2 square feet of extra crap that I never use.

Dell is starting to "clean up" their keyboards. Reminds me of the old mac I had many years ago.

(http://snpi.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/DJ741.jpg)
Title: Re: OKOKOK More help please
Post by: jitspoe on October 09, 2007, 04:18:47 PM
Not bad, but I love the laptop style keys of my Logitech UltraX.