Author Topic: New Map - Ranger by FourthX  (Read 13828 times)

James

• 68 Carbine
Re: New Map - Ranger by FourthX
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2007, 03:18:35 PM »
The contrast in color of the tree's and grass is decent. I've grown attached to the "lolli-pop" trees, so I don't really like that tree texture. Also, the smooth shading you added makes it look pretty.

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2007, 08:03:03 PM »
Hoping you dont mind if i steal that billboard tree texture :P it looks nice and i need something like that for filler :)

Termin8oR

• Autococker
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2007, 10:29:20 PM »
Yeah, the tree is gorgeous.

Krewzer

• Stingray
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2007, 12:42:34 PM »
Beautiful work.

However, to be honest, the trees need more work.  This style of tree would work for something like a palm tree really nicely.  But for the maple tree or whatever it is just seems too weird. Would it be possible to put the lollipop tree in the middle and have the leaf models coming out of it?
There's some strange shadows on the ground, I'm not sure if it's from the terrain or the hint brushes, just looks strange.

It's also a sign that you're a stand up man, since you've already proven your mapping abilities and have come to this forum allowing others to make suggestions.

Good job 4th

Deranged

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2007, 07:05:37 PM »
Beautiful work.

However, to be honest, the trees need more work.  This style of tree would work for something like a palm tree really nicely.  But for the maple tree or whatever it is just seems too weird. Would it be possible to put the lollipop tree in the middle and have the leaf models coming out of it?
There's some strange shadows on the ground, I'm not sure if it's from the terrain or the hint brushes, just looks strange.

It's also a sign that you're a stand up man, since you've already proven your mapping abilities and have come to this forum allowing others to make suggestions.

Good job 4th

That style of tree is what is called a polygonal trunk with billboard/crossed leave textures. when on the ground it looks beautiful. the only time it looks wrong is when youre in noclip flying around :)

Which is why I want to use that texture.. or if I HAVE to, find my own on turbosquid or w/e :P

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2007, 07:54:53 AM »
Krew :) my hobo homie, the trees have the lolipop shape in place with clip brushes.

Deranged: Knock yourself out, just do me a favor and don't release anything with it until I have ranger done, shouldn't be more than another week or so.

FtX

PS: Alpha Trees with shadows tutorial coming soon, it was one of those happy accidents so I need to reproduce it and make sure I have all the ideas straight in my head.

Kaos

• VM-68
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »
i wished my comp could handle reflective water =[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

MosEz

• Autococker
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2007, 01:38:13 PM »
make a low or high way like roundup? :/

but awesome map

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2007, 01:42:44 PM »
Did you mean to share the .wal file instead of .tga?  It works, but a 32bit image would look better.  Anyway, I've attached a demo of some things you may wish to revise.  I've also uploaded it to the beta server (see PM).

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2007, 02:20:27 PM »
I only have a .wal for it I think, I'll check when I get home.

FtX

cusoman

• Autococker
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2007, 10:50:46 AM »
LOOOOOOVEEE THE TREEES.  ;D ;D Mostly because just yesterday i was messing with trees that look almost identical to yours.  Personally i think that tree style is much more realistic and eye pleasing than the current "loli-pop" style.  Good work FourthX
-Cusoman

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2007, 12:05:52 PM »
It's still lollipop style...  but it does look much better, it's actually the tree shadows I'm most impressed with.

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2008, 02:06:58 AM »
Let's revive this thread, since as Fx stated, he's back from work.

When will Ranger be out of beta?

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2008, 04:55:39 AM »
trees<3

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
Hey all, this map is pretty close to done, if anyone has any last minute suggestions I'm all ears. Also, as I've said earlier I will share all info on how it's done when it's done so anyone wanting the know how just has a little longer to wait.

4thX

James

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2008, 07:53:57 PM »
Make all the walls transparent and write <iP>Blitz in rainbow colors on the walls, this will ensure pub time.

Herron

• VM-68
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2008, 08:15:38 PM »
Make all the walls transparent and write <iP>Blitz in rainbow colors on the walls, this will ensure pub time.

and be sure to have one of the teams spawn facing the wrong direction

FourthX

• Developer
  • 68 Carbine
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2008, 03:07:37 PM »
And cockers/steel barrels for all! Tralala!!

4thX

Edgecrusher

• Autococker
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2008, 02:04:06 AM »
And cockers/steel barrels for all! Tralala!!

4thX

At first I freaked out.

At second I woke up.

At third I realised it was only a dream (praise the someone).