Author Topic: What DO you like about PB2?  (Read 3294 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
What DO you like about PB2?
« on: December 31, 2002, 02:53:53 PM »
Since there are lots of potential changes coming up I'd like to get people's input about what gameplay elements and features are enjoyed, so as to keep those in tact and not scare people off with changes in new versions.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
Re: What DO you like about PB2?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2002, 05:19:15 PM »
Stick to improving its aesthetic qualites, not the actual gameplay.

Mister_Zimbu

• PGP
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2003, 07:14:58 PM »
More or less, that's it.  Improve the graphical quality and just add new features to make the game itself user-friendly-- don't adjust the gameplay, it's fine the way it is.

With that said, stuff I'd like to see:
- A callvote command.  Every rotation has bad maps.  Every server has lamers.  So, implement a callvote command to enable voting to switch maps and/or kick players.  Getting everyone on one team is too much trouble.
- A dynamic map rotation that chooses maps based on the number of players on the server.

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2003, 09:45:10 AM »
Stick to improving its aesthetic qualites, not the actual gameplay.

Minor tweaks might be all right, but I third this.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 11:26:49 AM »
Zimbu's idea of a dynamic map rotation based on the numbers of players would be an excellent addition.
Something simple that could be read via the server side maplist: if(players >= X) use => else if...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2003, 11:31:56 AM by Blitz »

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2003, 05:20:41 PM »
Yeah, that's an idea I had a while back.  Actually, if all the maps were dynamically sizing, that would be good too. :)  The problem is defining how many players per map and who would make those definitions.

I also have a cool idea for map voting -- I talked about this a while back -- basically you vote on the next map, then at the end of the map, it tallies up the votes, plus adds 1 vote to every map in the rotation.  The map with the most votes gets played, and its vote count gets set to 0, so you'd have something like:

map1 4
map2 3
map3 2
map4 1

If 3 people vote for map3, then at the end of the current map, you'd have:

map3 5
map1 4
map2 3
map4 1

And map3 would get played.  This way everyone's vote counts somewhat, and the same map won't get played over and over.

I should implement that now -- it's been on my todo list for a while. :)

RoyalBlood

• VM-68
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2003, 07:09:16 PM »
The gameplay has always been great... thats what made it the funnest mod to play in the first place.  So defintely keep that intact.  The only gameplay feature that i think would be helpful would be some sort of stamina meter.  But make it arcady, not too realistic.  Just something that would limit the "bunny hopping" abuse without actually getting rid of it.  Also could do something similar to that with regards to shooting, so as to eliminate those who just grab a cocker and max out the ammo and never let up on the trigger.

What you need, assuming its possible, is just more of everything now.  More markers and equipment, even if there isnt any significant differences between them, people will appreciate the variety.  A major overhaul of the graphics would be nice.  Make a single player mode of some sorts.  Or like a practice mode, where you can have target practice and be trained on some of the basic elements of paintball. An extensive clan mode of some sorts would be very welcomed.  All these extra modes will give the game a lot more depth and make it more interesting to play.   And might possibly help the newbies ease into the game better.  Theres a lot of things that can be done, and if you did as many of them as possible, ill bet a lot of people will love it and revive the scene.  Not to mention it would give you a huge sense of accomplishment  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2003, 07:12:52 PM by RoyalBlood »

Shreds

• Stingray
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 09:28:24 PM »
If possible, fix the maxfps jump. Something about the sudden ability to jump higher then you actualy should be able to jump bothers me.
Also, Is there a new feature list thread any where?
and I think its a minor tweak, but did you ever notive that your gun shoots higher then your crosshair?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2003, 06:12:26 PM »
Should I hardcode a maxfps of like 80 or so?  I plan to put in a server side cap, but there also needs to be some kind of set cap due to the network usage (100+ packets/sec is a lot...)  Unfortunately the physics, network, and graphics code is so intertwined that I wasn't able to separate it and cut down on the packet sending at higher framerates. :\

As for feature lists, check the news posts :)

Shooting higher than your crosshair depends on the distance you shoot. :)  I think I'll leave that as changing it now would likely just screw ppl's aim up and make them unhappy.

Blitz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2003, 04:22:22 PM »
Leave maxfps as a server side cvar..

meat

• VM-68
I do like
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2003, 06:20:34 PM »
I like that there are no more "fat babie" looking player models, its actually a challange to hit an opponent.

I must say, nice work jitspoe.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2003, 08:55:10 PM »
The hitboxes are the same size.  The model just changes the appearance.

Anrkist

• VM-68
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 01:55:30 PM »
ill 6th or 5th that.. thats why I keep coming back is because of the gameplay its solid.  I think the menus could use an update.. make them less quake2ish.. How about in the keybind area , you allow someone to add thier own binds ?? I think that would be *neat*. Ive got alot of ideas of course.. but ill just give one id really like to see =] And dont ever limit jumping.. the day that happens is the day I never come back =p (watches as jitspoe goes hard to work on limiting it)  Remember tripping ? heh
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 03:14:16 PM by Anrkist »

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 02:56:09 PM »
I like the arcade-ish, Quake action style of Paintball. The jumps, I reluctantly admit, add to the game more than they detract from it (although the hill launching is a little cheap).

I like being able to strafe-jump and increase my speed, but the way it stands is a little excessive, and large maps become tedious bunnyhop contests, discouraging play.

I like the gun pickup system just fine (but I would not contest to a new system, such as monetary-based, if one were properly developed.)

I like the new smoke grens. Awesome!

I dislike the lack of v_models, and they (other than bots) have probably been the single most popular request since the game's inception.

I dislike the lack of bots also, but I don't think it's nearly as important as lots of other issues right now.

I dislike the lack of statistics and think this would be a fun addition to the game. I want to see my kills per minute, hit accuracy, etc. like in Counterstrike (or however else you want to do it).