Author Topic: OSX Leopard vs Tiger  (Read 1378 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
OSX Leopard vs Tiger
« on: January 02, 2008, 10:38:51 PM »
I was browsing around on ebay considering how much it would cost to make a Mac version of the game.  I noticed some machines had "Tiger" (10.4) and could be upgraded to "Leopard" (10.5) for "only" $130.  I thought, good grief, is a 0.1 version upgrade worth that much?  What have they even changed?

KiLo

• Autococker
Re: OSX Leopard vs Tiger
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »
I don't know what they have changed but you can get either operating system for nothing. *hint hint*

DaRkNeSS

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:05:22 AM »
Torrent it coughcough.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:12:55 AM »
I'm more curious about what the difference is between the two versions than how to aquire Leopard.

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 08:48:40 AM »
It's their latest major release since 10.4 Tiger which was released 2.5yrs ago.  It's got a bunch of new features and enhancements, but all the Java developers are pissed at how they packaged an older JRE with it.  Other than that, I try to ignore Apple fanboy stuff as much as possible.

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:12:25 AM »
According to Apple, Leopard contains over 300 changes and enhancements,[2] covering core operating system components as well as included applications and developer tools. Leopard introduces a significantly revised desktop, with a redesigned Dock, Stacks, a semitransparent menu bar, and an updated Finder that incorporates the Cover Flow visual navigation interface first seen in iTunes. Other notable features include support for writing 64-bit graphical user interface applications, an automated backup utility called Time Machine, support for Spotlight searches across multiple machines, and the inclusion of Front Row and Photo Booth, which were previously only included with some Mac models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.5#Speculation

list of the "300" changes.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#ical

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
'Pay $120 dollars for $75 worth of stuff! Pay $600 for a $300 phone! (Then complain when you pay too much)'.

Yaaaaay Macs. Apple is becoming incredibly evil.

EDIT: If they get a big enough market share, they might finally get called on forcing their endorsed hardware and software ala IE lawsuit thing.