Author Topic: LIGHTING  (Read 3997 times)

Byz

• 68 Carbine
LIGHTING
« on: December 08, 2007, 11:50:01 AM »
how do i add lighting.. i have many people have asked this and some people thinks its easy to add it but i dont... so help me :)

y00tz

• Autococker
Re: LIGHTING
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:53:55 AM »
Select a brush that you want to emit light, such as your sky, then hit "s" to bring up your surface window, if it's not already up, then check the "light" and a little bit above that there is an area that says "value" put a number in there (I use about 50-100, a lot of people use about 200+), then hit apply brush or face, which ever you want to be a light.

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 12:02:22 PM »
cheers y00tz  ill try that :P

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
Select a brush that you want to emit light, such as your sky, then hit "s" to bring up your surface window, if it's not already up, then check the "light" and a little bit above that there is an area that says "value" put a number in there (I use about 50-100, a lot of people use about 200+), then hit apply brush or face, which ever you want to be a light.
well still dont get it but np.. ill think i learn someday :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 12:24:36 PM »
Nope, I forgot to mention, when you compile, run it as "fast vis rad" or whatever, that does the actual lighting.  Also, make sure you have no leaks (check the black box that pops up when you compile for a line that says "Leaked")

-y00tz

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »
Ok. i still do not get the lighting thing. if anyone would be super nice to make a step by step to add lighting. [maybe with scrnshots] that would be  so awsome but i understand if no1 does that but i hope some1 do . thank you

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 09:05:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure y00tz answered the question.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »
Try just selecting the light texture, making a brush and instead of clicking qbsp, click qbsp fastvis rad. When you are ready to release, click final compile instead.

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:33:28 AM »
well at least someone should make a tutorial of it! like ladder tutorial thats my opinion :)

S8NSSON

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:54:22 AM »
Maybe you want a "Sun," or do you want like a light fixture that emits light?

There are textures that will automatically emit light. Apply one of these textures to a brush face and you are done.

In some instances you may want light where no obvious source is available that can hold a lit texture. In this case you would create a normal brush them convert it to a light entity. A light entity is a small diamond shaped item (might be purplish in color) that will emit light according to your settings. In BSP Jitspoe has put a good explanation of entities and their variables if you click the little "?" when on the entity window with an entity selected.

Lastly, you may want a "Sun" to provide your light. A sun is just like a...well....Sun. It emits light from the sky at definable angles and intensities and color and with definable ambient light...all kinds of things you can do there. If you bring up your WorldSpawn window (the one where you set teams, sky, message, etc..., and select the "?", Jitspoe has been kind enough to include very nice descriptions and examples for Sun values, along with all kinds of other WorldSpawn related tags.

And, what would be an explanation of anything without external link support?

ArghRad: the Sun creating tool of DP:
Awesome explanations on this page.
http://arghrad.planetquake.gamespy.com/

RUST!!!: The good old place for all your map editing needs. Great writeups on most everything concerning Q2 mapping...AND MORE!!!
http://www.gamedesign.net/node/27

Happy mapping...don't accept mediocrity...Take the time to get it right and make something that will blow us away!!!