Author Topic: mIRC Messing Router  (Read 3405 times)

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
mIRC Messing Router
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:20:32 AM »
Ok, ever since i installed mIRC my router has been playing up and i have searched on many other websites but just cant fix my problem.  It is a D-link router which makes it worse because they make firmware upgrades for router differently here to the USA.  Here being Australia.

Every website tells me to port forward on the router but the problem is that in Australia you dont get that option at all.  You have got a special applications page which allows multiple connections.  I've allowed the program through the computer firewall (Trend Micro) I can connect and i can speak and all but it completely screws the wireless network and every other computer in my LAN.  Restart the router is all I can do and all of the Internal I.P addresses change and messes other things up.

Any Ideas?

I'll edit this and put a screenshot of what the special applications page looks like.  If you really want to know the model of the router is DI-634M.

Justinph5

• Autococker
Re: mIRC Messing Router
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:31:26 AM »
hmmm, D-Link is what I've got, and it sometimes messes up too!    (disconnecting and connection for a few seconds every 30 seconds or so)   (about 3 times in a row and its fine for a while)     maybe I'll research it with mIRC and see if that could be the problem, because I haven't been able to find it...   get back to ya...

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 12:36:54 AM »
Its not so much dissconnecting and reconnecting, its the router messing up as soon as the packets go though and doesn't fix itself up.  It connects fine, idles fine and when everything seems fine BAM my dad comes and marches into the room yelling MY VPN CONNECTION DIED BECAUSE OF YOU!!!  Also as soon as it happens my paintball server dies and i cant ftp to my website either.

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 12:59:51 AM »
Why don't you order a router from Linksys and have it shipped to you?

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 01:08:55 AM »
Why don't you order a router from Linksys and have it shipped to you?
Lol, when we were at detective Smiths buying it I was nagging my dad to get a Linksys because our old D-Link had so many problems but he said something about work and I had to go with it.  So sad.

Here is the image of what the Special Applications page looks like:

Looking at the ports of MSN Gaming Zone it uses the same as mIRC default. If I enabled that would it do anything to help?  Also wondering does it use TCP or UDP?  Stupid question but need to know.

EDIT: Word filter picked it up.  Detective Smiths is suppost to be D.I.C.K Smiths.  A electronic store.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 01:16:30 AM »
Is there a way you can forward ports instead of trigger ports?

KiLo

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 01:23:38 AM »
I believe port forwarding is under Virtual Server.

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 01:41:53 AM »
Is there a way you can forward ports instead of trigger ports?
Like i said earlier, the port forwarding is only found in the US firmware upgrades and cannot be installed in Australia.

Here is the Virtual Server one.  This is where i put the paintball server info in to allow it to work.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 07:56:34 AM »
Remember:

Port forwarding is typically used for outside ( internet ) users to get access to your private servers ( your pc on your desk).

I have never had to do any port forwarding to get irc to work unless you have a real nonstateful firewall and have to open up ports to use it ( ie.. sonic, cisco pix, watchguard)

Kaos

• VM-68

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »
this might help http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DI-634M/DI-634Mindex.htm
Been there.  Kilo was right  Virtual Server seemed to do the trick 4 now.  Just gotta let it Idle for a long time to see if it works.  Thx.

Justinph5

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 10:45:46 PM »
thnkx ppl I'll try the port fowarding when I get to my comp this week sometime, hopefully it was mIRC messing mine up then...   cuz the router showed my connection was fine, but my comp would do that strange dis / connect thing...   :D

lekky

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »
I think this is just a case of the "Angry Dad". He doesn't want to believe he has a crap router and should buy a decent one, so he blames the kid for "breaking the interweb". "You installed WHAT??!!, IRC? What is that? Sounds like a virus to me, are you dealing drugs?"

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 07:14:35 PM »
I think this is just a case of the "Angry Dad". He doesn't want to believe he has a crap router and should buy a decent one, so he blames the kid for "breaking the interweb". "You installed WHAT??!!, IRC? What is that? Sounds like a virus to me, are you dealing drugs?"
Lol, when he was up at like 1am the other night fixing the router he came into my room, woke me up and asked me WHAT IS mIRC????  I told him what it was and den i came onto the forums before he started work again (he had a break over xmas but still worked a bit).

Thing is though every time i want to use it on a diff computer i have 2 change the darn internal ip address to the computer im on, really sad but i can live with it. I ended up making a couple of static ip addresses because they change when the router resets.