Author Topic: what is hamachi.  (Read 1975 times)

godzilla

• Stingray
what is hamachi.
« on: January 10, 2008, 03:47:58 AM »
hamachi is a program used to make a local area game. for instance.

if you wanted to make a server without having the trouble of setting a normal one up, use hamachi and get peaople to join on your ip on hamachi.

here is the download

http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: what is hamachi.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 08:29:26 AM »
This wouldn't work for DP at all.

ViciouZ

• Map Committee
  • Autococker
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 10:06:58 AM »
Well, it does, but just getting a GT/QeHs/OTB is easier, and almost guaranteed to work.

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 10:27:31 AM »
Yeah it works, but first, why is this guy linking to a third-party no-name download site?  Smells a little phishy to me.

Official: www.hamachi.cc

godzilla

• Stingray
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:33:06 PM »
well i tryed to find that site yootz

but i couldnt so i just gave a website on some info...

and yes it does work for paintball....if you wanted to play your friend or something in a server that has your rules, your preference then use hamachi.

atmays

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 11:54:34 PM »
how would you set it up

godzilla

• Stingray
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 02:53:20 AM »
well you would first get a channel....

make a pass for it then get your friend to connect to that channel.

then when you start a game on paintball

your friend can see the game on the server list.

its that easy =]

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 08:58:35 AM »
Have you tried it yet?

godzilla

• Stingray
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 03:33:18 AM »
yes i have

actually i play warcraft and paintball with my friends using hamachi

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »
Hamachi is pretty good in my experience, though I'd never use it for DP (whats the point? just setting up normal port forwards is a much better permanent fix to any connectivity problems you might have).

I use it for games like C&C Generals, GTA2, etc... which are older and can have real problems in playing over the internet without it.

You can have some problems with it on certain ISP's, at least in the UK. When I was on PlusNet, it seemed their traffic classification system held up encrypted UDP packets (such as those used in the default hamachi VPN's) as a matter of policy; this meant really high latency and dropped packets - problem was solved when you configured the tunnels to be unencrypted, however this is obviously less safe.

- Dagless

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »
Hamachi is pretty good in my experience, though I'd never use it for DP (whats the point? just setting up normal port forwards is a much better permanent fix to any connectivity problems you might have).

For me it was a matter of convenience, if 4 people are already on Hamachi playing Doom 2, Armies of Exigo, or whatever, it's easy just to load up Hamachi and play non-public via vpn.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 04:07:10 PM »
UDP doesn't have an encryption bit. :/ Encrypted data looks like unencrypted data. Maybe it was the overhead of encryption, since it does tend to significantly increase the size of the payload.

DrRickDaglessMD

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 09:46:42 PM »
from what I have gathered of their classification system, it does at least some DPI on all the traffic. Initially it was very flaky and frustrating, now its been running a year or two and appears to have adapted pretty well to the demands of gamers and VoIP users. I'm not with them anymore so I can't really try it out. The difference between pinging a local friend on an encrypted VPN and an unencrypted vpn was often >1000ms.

- Dagless

edit: and no sooner do I post this I come across the wiki article that mentions the DPI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plusnet#Deep_Packet_Inspection_and_Bandwidth_Management