Author Topic: viewoffset adjustment  (Read 2688 times)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
viewoffset adjustment
« on: October 07, 2005, 03:22:11 PM »
I'm not sure how hard this would be to code, but I was thinking it might be useful to adjust the view offset when you look down to actually lean forward a bit.  As I'm sure you're well aware, when you're looking out of a window, it's impossible to shoot downward, because when you look down, it's like the view rotates at the center of your body and you're shooting through yourself at your feet.

Would this cause a big uproar in the old whiner community? :)

loial21

• Autococker
Re: viewoffset adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2005, 05:31:39 PM »
While ur at it a slight lean to the left or right would be nice.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 01:33:15 AM »
Nope. Left/right lean would be useless, no matter what you say, loial. The only way a lean would be useful was if it was actually rotated the player between 45/90 degrees.

Jits: I don't completely understand what you're saying... Wait, I think I got it. You should give it a test run, and stuff. But, then wouldn't the camera go out of the bounding box?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 11:35:43 AM »
It wouldn't go out of the bounding box, just move forward in it.  The bounding box is like 4 feet wide.  That's why it's so difficult to shoot over anything, because your view is basically 2 feet away from it.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 01:07:55 PM »
Okay, now I just don't understand. I need diagrams! ;)

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 04:08:15 PM »
First two are the way it currently works -- if you try to aim down, you end up shooting at a wall if you're trying to shoot out of a window or something.

The third shows my idea -- move the view forward a bit so you can actually shoot over the wall.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 04:11:50 PM »
As I thought. Kinda. Very nice drawing, by the way. But how will this be used? Just so that whenever a player looks down they lean forward some? Will you be able to see the model leaning forward?

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 04:14:12 PM »
The model already leans forward, although in a very crude fashon.

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 11:07:47 PM »
At the waist, I meant.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 05:56:08 PM »
Just asking but what is the differnce between slightly leaning foward when pointing down and the slight side-lean you get when using different hands?
BTW I more understand you now,eio.  SORRY!! :)

XtremeBain

• Developer
  • Autococker
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 09:29:59 PM »
There is NO lean when you're using different hands.  I have made a little diagram to try to explain what the different hand positions do.  The black X represents your crosshair, the circles represent the flight path of of the 'perfect' paintball leaving your marker(in other words an autococker with steel barrel).  You'll notice that dependsing on the position of the gun in your hand, it starts from a left, centre, or right offset as it travels to the target.  This provides a slight advantage in very minimal circumstances.  If it makes any difference, myself nor any other eR33t members to my knowledge switch between the hand positions while we're matching to create better angles on shots.  I really think you're blowing this whole "leaning" thing way out of proportions.
Let me know if I've left anything unclear.

As for the leaning forward, when you currently look down, you're technically looking through viewing the view from the immediate centre of your brain, through your body and right between your feet.  What jitspoe is suggesting is that this be changed create a more realistic view angle of what a human would be seeing when looking forward.  It would also give players the ability to lean out of windows to shoot people just in front of you, on the ground.  Really neat idea.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 11:42:30 PM »
Bain, everything is clear. Thanks, to bad it took a half year or more to explain this, instead of blah blah@!@@ newb blah. 

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2005, 11:53:12 PM »
Actually, the left/right handed weapons still fire balls in a straight line, just offset slightly to the left or right.  In any case, it's still mostly useless.  I was playing the FEAR demo this weekend -- it had leaning, and it was just as useless as switching hands.  I never even bothered to use it.

loial21

• Autococker
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 06:00:31 PM »
eio, ur correct I understand now, sorry gentlemen, and you to Jits ;)

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 07:02:53 PM »
That implies that Jits isn't a gentleman! HOW COULD YOU?!