Author Topic: newmap- Im still not sure  (Read 3250 times)

RoBbIe

• Autococker
newmap- Im still not sure
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:11:56 PM »
A new map ive been making in my spare time

Its not beta i just wanna show what is done

I know there two red teams ill fix that for the beta soon to come

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
Re: newmap- Im still not sure
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:24:22 PM »
1path? :x

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:13:47 PM »
Actually, no. I had the chance to look it over with Robbie quickly. I was impressed. If i remember correctly, there were two paths, one main road, one high road, which took a double jump. There was also a little "mountain road" thingie that lead to the other base. It was pretty good. Didn't get a chance to test out gameplay though.

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:30:38 PM »
Did you and him work on your texturing together. Just like yours its lacking.. different texture choices. It uses very few and seems rather bland.

-Is there an invisible ladder on the side of the rock for a reason?
-Maybe make the "moat" / water thing around the flag less squareish to fit with the outdoor sandy cliff theme the rest of you map has
-Maybe throw in a few barrels or some sort of filler for the straight main path and maybe high path.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »
Actually, no, but I think he kind of based his off of mine. XD

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 11:22:01 PM »
Honestly, you release a map nearly week or so.  Make maybe a bigger map, not a straight line, or straightish line map.  Spend time, I'd rather see you working on a map for a couple of months, other than rushing to make a line and release it and say OMFG I RELEASED MY 10th MAP or whatever.  Make a map with a few possible pathways, be creative, because from what I can see is that you are just putting things here and there, hoping it will fill the map up and make it look good.  If you want to continue with any of these maps, feel free to do so, but if you get the picture, just drop them, work on a good map for some time, get a few people to look at it before you release it as beta, and when you have fixed everything they showed you, you can then release it.  It will minimize your chances of just getting people saying 'Rubbish' or whatever, and they will show you what you have done wrong, what you can improve and you maybe even get to the stage where you can release the map.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 07:48:25 AM »
I made new path it really helps the 2 smaller curves

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 07:50:38 AM »
Anyone got any good ideas for this map. I know i gotta a lot more add to this map just wanting to know your alls opinion would help me some

-Maybe make the "moat" / water thing around the flag less squareish to fit with the outdoor sandy cliff theme the rest of you map has
-Maybe throw in a few barrels or some sort of filler for the straight main path and maybe high path.

Ok ill have that fixed thanks for the help

Edit- Well heres the filler so far
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:38:08 PM by RoBbIe »

RiMiNi

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 02:32:59 PM »
the very middle still has nothing in it whatsovever, thats what I was trying to get you to add some filler in .. :-/  almost none of the filler actually impedes or slows down your movement. It's all placed against the walls, therefore its still just run straight through..

I have to agree with Cam though, take some time on one map, and do it really well. As to making a million maps that aren't very good, quality over quantity my friend

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 03:45:50 PM »
I bet if you do this you'll improve gameplay AND drop your r_speeds:

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »
yes knack but now look at what you showed me its just like every other map made i wanted this map to be different

Edit- ill try to remove my mid path to lower r_speed and make a lower underground path what do you think about that? maybe in your screen shot knack make under ground between the barrels

vague312

• VM-68
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 04:18:40 PM »
if you make a basement you can give the basement a cold ice like theme. Scorching desert surface with frigged catacombs.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »
Now how is that like every other map made?

Do something with the center underground, but just don't make it a straight shot to the other side.

musickid999

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 08:44:11 PM »
What about two bigger paths AROUND the map? That goes to the other side? Make them a bit wider, and it might work. Just a suggestion, don't shoot me down right away. XD

Cameron

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 09:26:25 PM »
What about two bigger paths AROUND the map? That goes to the other side? Make them a bit wider, and it might work. Just a suggestion, don't shoot me down right away. XD
Or a new map.  I don't even think he read my post :\.  He just blabbered on ignoring it.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 06:29:28 PM »
OK well i practically redone the map besides the bases so here it is

Byz

• 68 Carbine
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
I took a quick look in the map and it looks good :P Gotta say its the best map you have done so far.. I noticed a couple of things : some barrels in the high way are floating in the air. Also the ladder needs to be rotated.

RoBbIe

• Autococker
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 07:45:40 PM »
thanks byz but you looked at the wrong version =P there no barrels in my new version but thanks

well after i get a name i think this map is ready for beta_1 can you guys please check out this map for some reason it shows random black spots how do i fix that?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:56:21 AM by RoBbIe »