Author Topic: Feature Feasilbility Request: SteamWorks  (Read 1420 times)

y00tz

• Autococker
Feature Feasilbility Request: SteamWorks
« on: February 03, 2008, 11:41:24 PM »
*gulp*

Alright, here goes nothing - I propose we get a task force within the committee or the committee itself to analyze SteamWorks as a potential supplement to Paintball 2.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/

It *could* have numerous advantages for this game, note that the feature list below has features that are on the feature vote list:

* Auto-updating
    * Game stats collection and display
    * Multiplayer matchmaking
    * The Steam Community
    * Voice chat

I'm not sold on the idea, so your comments aren't offensive, but I think researching this more and possible pursuing it could do wonders for Paintball 2.

-y
* y00tz wields anti-flame shield

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Feature Feasilbility Request: SteamWorks
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:49:43 PM »
Though it may provide some useful features, I think a lot more work would be needed on jits' part to get certain parts of the game to conform to Steam's (wonderful, I'm sure) standards for each component you list there.

While I don't think there's much of a chance it'll be of any use, it should be looked into (as you've suggested) as more information on it is released.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
Re: Feature Feasilbility Request: SteamWorks
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:07:32 AM »
So... you're putting forth a feature request to look into the feasibility of a feature request?  Right now, it's probably not feasible.  I'm sure all the licensing would have to get straightened out before we could distribute through Steam.  That alone would require a lot of effort.  Then there's the issue of steam ID's vs. DPLogin id's.  And of course you'd have to wait 10 minutes to load steam in order to play Paintball2, like any other steam game (unless it's possible to have a standalone version, too - not sure on that).