Author Topic: Password Reset in Vista  (Read 2362 times)

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
Password Reset in Vista
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:17:43 PM »
Here is the situation.  One of my friends called me from college and she wanted to know how to reset the Windows password.  The only thing is, she doesn't know it.  She has been using the fingerprint scanner (its a laptop, btw) to login, but it has not been working correctly lately.  Is there an easy way to reset it without me making a visit?

Side note: I have the ability to access the computer remotely.

Thanks.

Eiii

• Autococker
Re: Password Reset in Vista
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:39 PM »
Fingerprint scanner = worst idea ever. Tell her to never use one again, ever.

Anyway, rainbow tables! :D Windows is incredibly insecure if you have physical access to a machine. Bam.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:56:28 AM »
Fingerprint scanner = worst idea ever. Tell her to never use one again, ever.

Anyway, rainbow tables! :D Windows is incredibly insecure if you have physical access to a machine. Bam.

I'll look into that one.  Thanks.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:34:30 AM »
Zorc:

http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?t=14622

Looks like this will help you.

Fryth

• VM-68
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 07:36:51 PM »
You'll probably have to make a visit; this is uber-geek territory. But it can be done using a tool called 'chntpw' in Knoppix; start up using Knoppix, mount the Windows volume, find the SAM file in the windows directory that contains the password hashes, blank the password using chntpw, and then reboot.

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 08:28:10 PM »
You'll probably have to make a visit; this is uber-geek territory. But it can be done using a tool called 'chntpw' in Knoppix; start up using Knoppix, mount the Windows volume, find the SAM file in the windows directory that contains the password hashes, blank the password using chntpw, and then reboot.

+1 for Adrian

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 11:37:02 PM »

Oi, never would have thought of that one.

But they fixed it themselves apparently.  She made a new profile and deleted the old one.  I'm assuming that she was smart enough to backup all her docs before she did it.  Then again, you never know with her.  :P

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 11:38:21 PM »
Then again, you never know with her.  :P

We don't even know her

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 12:03:54 PM »
We don't even know her

Nope, but I do.  ^_^