Author Topic: Internet Video Quality.  (Read 2257 times)

JiGSaW

• Autococker
Internet Video Quality.
« on: February 05, 2008, 07:12:23 PM »
I just got my 22" widescreen monitor, and all my videos that I try to watch on google video and whatnot look horrible.  Is there a program or something to help with video quality?  I know Nvidia has something, but I think it costs $$$$

KnacK

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
Re: Internet Video Quality.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 07:21:23 PM »
increase your resolution and the videos will look better :D

ALl kidding aside, most of your videos are 323x240 so on a big monitor they're gonna look worse.

Zorchenhimer

• Autococker
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:35:30 PM »
Thats just the quality that they are streamed at.  You cannot improve it.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 07:35:47 PM »
Only two ways to "fix" it:
(1) Watch the video fullscreen from far away, or
(2) Don't watch fullscreen

JiGSaW

• Autococker
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 09:27:11 AM »

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 09:38:54 AM »
I love this comparison image.

It's like MAGIC!

Anyway, that won't apply to flash videos.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 02:35:21 PM »
I have a 19 inch wide screen.  Sometimes, depending on the type of video, and the resolution, I get good quality videos.  When I watch videos on youtube and the video quality is bad, I just thought the quality was bad because the video was on youtube, not because of my monitor.  I want another monitor that is 21 inches so I hope that pure video download helps the quality problem.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 02:48:57 PM »
YouTube videos *are* bad in quality because they are on YouTube. YouTube compresses its videos a hefty lot. PureVideo would not help because FLV files are not interlaced (to my knowledge, since the format is not designed for TVs and such) and Flash already does a good job of showing good contrast and saturation (where other 3rd-party players like VLC are bad at for FLV). PureVideo is for formats like MPEG where interlacing *is* used. The monitor wouldn't help either, because you are trying to stretch a video of a given resolution to a larger one, and there is no data to fill in for the difference.

jitspoe

• Administrator
  • Autococker
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 12:05:00 AM »
Looks like that purevideo thing just reduces interlacing and increases color saturation.

looks better without. :P

I don't think there's much you can do about the low resolution videos with severe compression artifacts.

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 12:18:48 AM »
I have personally never have had to watch a video with interlacing that bad. To fix the saturation and contrast, I just VLC's extended GUI too...

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 12:31:49 AM »
Couldn't find the pure video download.  I might be just blind, not sure yet...

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:37 AM »
*facepalm*

PureVideo is a HARDWARE feature. You don't download anything (except drivers, which'd probably come with the card).

Anyway, PureVideo will NOT HELP THIS SITUATION AT ALL. The only thing that will help you is MAKING THE VIDEOS SMALLER so that the compression is less apparent, or watching at a distance.

Garrett

• Autococker
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 12:41:54 AM »
*facepalm*

PureVideo is a HARDWARE feature. You don't download anything (except drivers, which'd probably come with the card).

Anyway, PureVideo will NOT HELP THIS SITUATION AT ALL. The only thing that will help you is MAKING THE VIDEOS SMALLER so that the compression is less apparent, or watching at a distance.
My bad

sk89q

• Global Moderator
  • Autococker
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 01:15:07 AM »

Thanks for repeating me :<

Eiii

• Autococker
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 01:58:12 AM »
Thanks for repeating me :<
Pretty much everything in my post had  been said before. I was just super-duper-clarifying it. :)

y00tz

• Autococker
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »
Major bump, yeah yeah, but I saw this tonight: http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Watch_Higher_Quality_YouTube_Videos